Fastest New World Tarantulas?

Jess S

Arachnobaron
Well, I've just had an, ahem, energetic experience rehousing a Holothele longipipes sling, that could have given one of my P. metallica's a run for their money! I'm now out of breath and sweating lol

It even did the rapid enclosure circling, finished by a dive into the burrow, with the speed of a pokie. This was before the rehouse too .

During the rehouse itself, this bolty sling teleported from place to place so quickly I was worried I'd lose track of it. It was up and over, not only the new enclosure but the 'containment' box I'd placed it in, in a blink of an eye. There seemed to be a lot of running and jumping going on, and unlike me, it showed no sign of getting worn out!

I have other fast NW's and knew this species was supposed to be fast too, but this was something else. In terms of speed, and for want of a better word, agility, this was like a pokie or other OW tarantula.

I couldn't help but be impressed. Do you guys have any similar tales about this or other NW species?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Well, I've just had an, ahem, energetic experience rehousing a Holothele longipipes sling, that could have given one of my P. metallica's a run for their money! I'm now out of breath and sweating lol

It even did the rapid enclosure circling, finished by a dive into the burrow, with the speed of a pokie. This was before the rehouse too .

During the rehouse itself, this bolty sling teleported from place to place so quickly I was worried I'd lose track of it. It was up and over, not only the new enclosure but the 'containment' box I'd placed it in, in a blink of an eye. There seemed to be a lot of running and jumping going on, and unlike me, it showed no sign of getting worn out!

I have other fast NW's and knew this species was supposed to be fast too, but this was something else. In terms of speed, and for want of a better word, agility, this was like a pokie or other OW tarantula.

I couldn't help but be impressed. Do you guys have any similar tales about this or other NW species?
Of course, Tapis

basin79

ArachnoGod
Any.

I have good sized terrestrial NW'S that will really motor should they sense prey. 180 degree spin and right across their enclosures in the blink of an eye.

I think OW's get the "speed" label just because of their more potent venom. As in don't take risks.

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
I think @basin79 summed it up pretty good. As far as I can tell any tarantula is capable of insane bolting speed, just some do it more regularly. Treat all T's with the same respect as on OW and you won't let your guard down as easy

Jess S

Arachnobaron
Of course, Tapis
I'm hoping someone will respond with a Tapi tale!

I nearly bought a T. sanctivincenti last year but didn't as it wasn't on my wishlist and I had so many others I was hoping to add to the collection. I'm sure I'll get at least one species eventually, just not sure which I prefer yet

Jess S

Arachnobaron
I think OW's get the "speed" label just because of their more potent venom. As in don't take risks.
I think @basin79 summed it up pretty good. As far as I can tell any tarantula is capable of insane bolting speed, just some do it more regularly. Treat all T's with the same respect as on OW and you won't let your guard down as easy
That's exactly right. I know, if they were an OW I would be expecting that amazing speed and wouldn't be surprised by it.

@jrh3 I have heard that Pseudoclamoris gigas is insanely fast, never kept one myself.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
If anyone has speed measurements in mph or kmh...let me know. My vote's on arboreals in general...that additional agility can't be everything :p

Also, hey friends :D

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
Apophysis is surprisingly fast, d diamantinensis is too but my apophysis is probably faster. X immanis has given me a run before too

Royalty

Arachnoknight
Apophysis is surprisingly fast, d diamantinensis is too but my apophysis is probably faster. X immanis has given me a run before too
My d.dia can be fast but mine has been very chill for the most part and not bolty

Royalty

Arachnoknight
Lucky you haha. I was rehousing mine when it was tiny and it ran up the paintbrush and jumped onto my shirt and before I could react it fell to the floor. Thank god it was ok. It was one of defining “oh $&@!” moments for me
I have a similar photo of mine on a leaf. It has been very great at display as well. It usually sits on top of the cork bark. There is a bit of web on the side now so it is a bit harder to see.

Poonjab

Arachnoking
T.D.R.L
Tarantula drag racing league.
I’m telling you guys... we’ve been going about T keeping all wrong. I really think this could be bigger than nascar.

(Sponsored by monster energy drinks)

Hi Jess
I have rehoused my2.5 -3 inch Holothele longipes yesterday too.Luckily for me she behaved surprisingly well and did not bolt or give me any trouble. It is the fastest tarantula in my collection and I have named her Speed Demon 😈 haha
Regards Konstantin

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
This is just my personal experience but the fastest I've encountered are (in no particular order);

- Ischnocolinae sp. "Dominican Republic" (Hobby Holothele sericea/Scopelobates sericeus)
- Psalmopoeus ecclesiasticus (easily faster than the rest of the genus IME)
- Tapinauchenius rasti
- Ephebopus spp.
- Bonnetina hijmenseni

I nearly bought a T. sanctivincenti last year
Hobby sanctivincenti are actually Tapinauchenius polybotes

Baby T

Arachnoknight
N.incei for me at the moment. It's due a rehouse soon too.
Gonna have to triple up the containment boxes I think!

Frogdaddy

Arachnoprince
T.D.R.L
Tarantula drag racing league.
I’m telling you guys... we’ve been going about T keeping all wrong. I really think this could be bigger than nascar.

(Sponsored by monster energy drinks)
I'm in! I picture it in my mind as something like a weiner dog race.
Or perhaps T's with little saddles and crickets as jockeys. :rofl: This screams for a meme.