Faster growing avics?

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron
Hello, after taking a long and needed break from the boards I'm back again. This time, I'm just wondering if there are any avicularia species that generally grow at a faster rate than others. I'm in the position now where I can buy another T if I so choose. So what are your experiences?

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
my sp peru purple has grown about 3x faster then my versicolor. it is unsexed but still

gypsy cola

Arachnoknight
You spelt Avic wrong. I think you meant Psalmopoeus pulcher. It's okay, it happens to everyone

DeTwan

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ive never owned an amazonica but they look pretty damn sweet, I dont know their growth rate but I suspect its pretty fast. You can check out my A.urticans that I posted today, took about 3 years to become 4-5ins. I also have a metallica "cayenne" that is pretty small, but growing quick, and looks pretty cool. Heck most Avics are fast growers, even vericolor is quick, just a smaller specie, if it is even avic. I love Avics for their docile nature, quick growth, and veracious appetite.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Get an A. minatrix, a dwarf species is an adult in no time ;)

sp Amazonica isn't slow, but it's not fast growing.

IME versicolor have been the fastest for me. I keep my Ts at 68-70F/72-75F day all year round.

Temps and frequency of feeding along w/size of prey all matter too.

I was also told A. purpurea are among the slowest of Avics. I received a 2" DLS, 2 years ago, it molted out male a few days ago. I wouldn't call that slow. Certainly faster than my sp amazonica were, and those were male as well.

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
If you don't mind, can somebody answer this question? How long will I have a juvenile/adult Avicularia versicolor if I feed slings almost 4 days a week keeping them at 69-70 degrees Fahrenheit? I have a sling losing color and may be in pre-molt and its been like that for a week and a half.

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron
If you don't mind, can somebody answer this question? How long will I have a juvenile/adult Avicularia versicolor if I feed slings almost 4 days a week keeping them at 69-70 degrees Fahrenheit? I have a sling losing color and may be in pre-molt and its been like that for a week and a half.
I thought you left the hobby :eek: welcome back man.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Considering they are a tropical species I don't recommend those temps at all for chronic exposure.

Also, at that temp it's extremely unlikely it will regularly eat that often. Mine don't eat that often and I keep mine at 75F

May live for 8 years from sling to adult to death.

Last edited:

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
I'm back! Thanks for the welcome. Can't wait to acquire more species. I went to a reptile expo a month or so ago. Seeing the tarantulas there made me feel empty. Then, in December, I bought some slings. I don't think I'll ever leave again.

cold blood

Staff member
I'm back! Thanks for the welcome. Can't wait to acquire more species. I went to a reptile expo a month or so ago. Seeing the tarantulas there made me feel empty. Then, in December, I bought some slings. I don't think I'll ever leave again.
Curious how much it is to have ts shipped to outer space? I mean, its got to be bad enough syncing up purchases with NASA missions, but its gotta cost thousands:wideyed: What are the export costs?:D

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
Considering they are a tropical species I don't recommend those temps at all for chronic exposure.

Also, at that temp it's extremely unlikely it will regularly eat that often. Mine don't eat that often and I keep mine at 75F

May live for 8 years from sling to adult to death.
I keep them at this temperature and they eat with no problems! Previously raised a half inch sling to a juvenile under the same conditions. I'm pretty sure it took around 11 months.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I keep them at this temperature and they eat with no problems! Previously raised a half inch sling to a juvenile under the same conditions. I'm pretty sure it took around 11 months.
That's an interesting observation, I'll keep this in my memory, much appreciated! Do your Avics wear Uggs to stay warm ;)