'Fast' way to make springtail colony explode?

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Are there any tricks for getting a springtail colony to explode in numbers? I originally bought one deli cup with a starter colony and have put some in two other ones to make sure I have a back up. Only problem is, I'm quite impatient haha. Is there any way to make their population explode? Would keeping them around 80 F make them breed faster?

Thanks

WildSpider

Arachnobaron
Are there any tricks for getting a springtail colony to explode in numbers? I originally bought one deli cup with a starter colony and have put some in two other ones to make sure I have a back up. Only problem is, I'm quite impatient haha. Is there any way to make their population explode? Would keeping them around 80 F make them breed faster?

Thanks
My experience with springtails is limited to the local ones where I live. Assuming that they are similar though, mine exploded in a pickle jar that had vegetation inside. The substrate (which is just dirt) is very moist in that jar too. These springtails exploded during the summer I believe it was and have still been doing well even during the fall despite the fact that they are in cooler temps. I have tried moving some of these springtails to other kinds of containers too (plastic ones) but so far, I still think the best results have been in the pickle jar.

Hardus nameous

Yes, but only on Tuesdays!
Arachnosupporter +
I see swarms of them on leftover feeder bits on sopping substrate in the amblypygi enclosures.
The substrate is or is mostly Zilla Jungle Mix in those enclosures.

The Mantis Menagerie

Arachnobaron
First, start a red wiggler colony in a plastic shoebox. Then, after a couple weeks, leave some food in until it molds. Finally, expect population explosion of springtail in a week at most. In other words, they seem to like anything rotting. I have found my biggest population spikes when the really fuzzy, white, and probably toxic mold is on the food.

Dennis Nedry

Arachnodemon
Get a completely sealed container, fill it with rotting wood and compost, wet it, add springtails, add a few oranges or apples sliced in half and wait. Add garbage and dead feeders periodically

Bob Lee

Arachnobaron
First, start a red wiggler colony in a plastic shoebox. Then, after a couple weeks, leave some food in until it molds. Finally, expect population explosion of springtail in a week at most. In other words, they seem to like anything rotting. I have found my biggest population spikes when the really fuzzy, white, and probably toxic mold is on the food.
What if mites show up instead of springtails... :angelic:

The Mantis Menagerie

Arachnobaron
What if mites show up instead of springtails... :angelic:
I have never seen mites in my enclosure. Plus, I didn't intend for someone to actually copy this exact setup, I just was pointing out how easy springtails are to culture. I will admit that I could have gotten lucky with springtails instead of mites.

REEFSPIDER

Arachnobaron
i have had great success with a 40% carbon 40% peat soil 20%peat moss mixture. I keep the culture fairly moist and i feed heavily. 1 tablespoon dry repashy morning wood per week. I have seen steady exploding growth with this method.

REEFSPIDER

Arachnobaron
You wanna make sure there is no mites in your starter. I learned i had bought a starter culture that was contaminated with mites and had to restart with the above posted method i said^. While the culture was infected with mites it was growing but slowly, once i eradicated the mites (started a new clean culture) i noticed far more rapid production.

Ludmil

Arachnopeon
I think it has to be very warm to really explode. Mine in the summer temperatures above 30 C with the same feeding/ moist bred far more than now with artificial heating keeping ~ 19-22 C
The food is bakers yeast, fish flakes every other day. In the summer for about a month they became hundred of thousands.

AlphaTen223

Arachnopeon
i have had great success with a 40% carbon 40% peat soil 20%peat moss mixture. I keep the culture fairly moist and i feed heavily. 1 tablespoon dry repashy morning wood per week. I have seen steady exploding growth with this method.
What’s the carbon for?