Old Timer
Aww, look she's poseing.
Scolopendra suspinips

Last edited:

Bigboy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Nice!

Gratz on the set up and the bug, oh someone must show me the proper way to post a pic so I can show you the pride of my collection. It's gonna be hard to out do that Gigantea though, hats off to you.

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
free image hosting here:

http://www.imageshack.us/

upload your picture to their site...they will give you the text to copy and paste directly in to your post. Also, I think there's a sticky in the T forum or one of them that explains how to post pictures...might try the search engine too :)

Bigboy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
thanks

Thanks bud, time for me to start showin off my bugs

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
you're welcome...gimme pics!!! :D my gf just now told me "NO!" to getting a 'pede lol...thankfully she doesn't pay rent here so I can do what I want :D

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
Who has the best looking Pede? Pics please folks anyone can say they look good but who can prove it???
I'll give it a shot with this one :cool:

Gigantea's are real good looking and big,...
but they aren't shiny metallic, big and bleu ;P ;P ;P
:D ;)

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Nice one Steven, the lighting makes it look kinda spooky too. What species is it?

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
423 said:
Nice one Steven, the lighting makes it look kinda spooky too. What species is it?
thanx y'all :)

99% it's an
Ethmostigmus trigonopodus

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi Steven,

any news on the breeding front with the E. trigonopodus? I seem to remember you saying you were going to introduce them to each other, how did that go?

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
danread said:
Hi Steven,

any news on the breeding front with the E. trigonopodus? I seem to remember you saying you were going to introduce them to each other, how did that go?
hey Dan,... yep, correct, got a female with eggs,... but she ate them :(
(guess it was due to my movement,... hope this year it's gonna be a succes ;) )

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Steven said:
hey Dan,... yep, correct, got a female with eggs,... but she ate them :(
(guess it was due to my movement,... hope this year it's gonna be a succes ;) )

Sorry to hear that Steven. If there is one pede we need more of in the hobby, it's definitely this one. How have you found them to be in terms of habit? i.e. are they predominantly burrowers or do you get to see them on the surface often?

It's a real shame that one of the things holding back the pede hobby is the problem of mothers eating their eggs. If it was a case of every batch of eggs that were laid resulted in baby pedes, there would be a lot more captive reared pedes on the market. Maybe it is worth experimenting with next years batches of Scolopendra sp "Stripe legs" as there isn't a short supply of them. Using nappy liner to hold the eggs might help as they add antibacterial substances to them (this method worked well in the lab i work in for rearing Carabid beetle eggs as we used to have big problems with the eggs going moldy). If we could develop a reliable method for rearing the eggs sans mother, it would be a great step forward.

Cheers,

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
There was a guy on Petbugs a few years ago who was sucessfully hatiching pede eggs in an artificial incubator. He even had pictures of decloping pedelings! I'm not sure how they did beyond the early stages though.

Wade

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wade said:
There was a guy on Petbugs a few years ago who was sucessfully hatiching pede eggs in an artificial incubator. He even had pictures of decloping pedelings! I'm not sure how they did beyond the early stages though.

Thanks Wade, I'll try and hunt that out!

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
His name was Tim something. Del Rosio maybe?

Wade

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Scolopendra subspinipes from Thailand, fat, shiny and happy

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
Hey 423

could ya check the spiracle count on that one ? i mean is it
1-0-1-0-1-0-1-0 or 1-0-1-0-1-0-1-1 ? 2 segments following eachother with spiracles ? and can ya tell if the head-plate is underneath the 1st tergite or above ? (looking at the picture,... it looks like the headplate is under the 1st tergite instead above)

Why all these questions ?

i'm not so sure it's a subspinipes :)

Would love to see some more pictures of that one (terminal leggs,... head+antenna etc...)
you can send them trough PM if ya don't wanna fill this topic ;)

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Steven said:
Hey 423

could ya check the spiracle count on that one ? i mean is it
1-0-1-0-1-0-1-0 or 1-0-1-0-1-0-1-1 ? 2 segments following eachother with spiracles ? and can ya tell if the head-plate is underneath the 1st tergite or above ? (looking at the picture,... it looks like the headplate is under the 1st tergite instead above)

Why all these questions ?

i'm not so sure it's a subspinipes :)

Would love to see some more pictures of that one (terminal leggs,... head+antenna etc...)
you can send them trough PM if ya don't wanna fill this topic ;)
I'll see what I can do. I'm not really that sure myself actually, but I bought it as S. subspinipes so that's what it's labeled as for the moment. Can't really get any good close-ups with my camera so I'll try and borrow a better one tomorrow and take some pics.
But not today, I'm heading for the pub right now so if I'm alive tomorrow I'll try and send pics of everthing to you. I would love to know for sure too. ;)

btw, what is a spiracle :confused: , all these technical words keep messing my poor head up

Last edited: