Farewell, avic?

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I'm deliberating on whether or not to sell/trade my avic. I love her, but she's far too much work. I think I want a large terrestrial, preferably a colorful one, or a burrower. I'm not shure what to do. Not to mention the fact that I don't know if I can even get rid of her that easily (I'm NOT shipping, and I'm not driving more than 20 miles).

As far as possible replacement, I'm thinking either A. geniculata (as I hear they eat like ravenous swine :D ), B. colloratvillosum (very big and colorful), or G. pulchra (not as colorful, but...). I still want a Red rump, but no luck around here for that one.

Any suggestions (other than "don't get rid of the avic." LoL)?

N.

pategirl

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
If you can't find anyone to buy her, you might could give her to a school science department or a college....

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Hey Nick,

What about your avic is too much work for you? I keep a spiderling versicolor, and honestly it's probably the easiest one I have next to my rose hair.

As for a terrestrial, I'll put out my number one recommendation on these parts of the Cyclosternum fasciatum. Marvelous coloration, webs up alot, and pretty hardy. If you want anything really big, you're looking at either an expensive T, or a burrower. Though, admittedly, my C. fasciatum spends some time underground, it's still almost always visible. That, a C. cyaneopubescens, and perhaps one of the Grammastola species come to mind.

Bill

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Originally posted by pategirl
If you can't find anyone to buy her, you might could give her to a school science department or a college....
I'm sorry, did you say "give"...??? Look, I payed $65 for it (I can hear you laughing already...), so I intend on getting at least some of my money back.

N.

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Originally posted by conipto
Hey Nick,

What about your avic is too much work for you? I keep a spiderling versicolor, and honestly it's probably the easiest one I have next to my rose hair.
Too much work due to keeping the humidity and temp, but mostly it's the fact that I have a hard time getting into the tank due to where she made her home. She was a spur-of-the-moment decision, and I didn't think it through well enough. Besides, I'm a "bigger is better" type of guy, and she won't get as big as a lot of terrestrials.

N.

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Originally posted by pategirl
I didn't know it cost you that much.....
Yes, I got ripped off hardcore...Much to my everlasting shame. That's why I shouldn't buy impulsively LoL

N.

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
What are you talking about here, a regular A. avicularia?

Impulse buys are often not what you expect, but have you considered changing the cage before you give her up? I think if you look into some past thread, you'll find alot of mixed views on needed humidity. There are some species that I think definately need it, but for the most part, as long as you've got a good solid water dish, There aren't too many problems with it. It seems to be overexxagerated.

And given what you paid for her, I can't see why you'd wanna give her up! You're not likely to get what you put in, unless she's a newly adulted female versicolor (is adulted a word?). I'd say try making a new tank that doesn't make her lean towards building a retreat near the opening. Many arboreal keepers choose to use bottom entry tanks, for just this reason. Why not try that and give her a few weeks to see what comes?

Bill

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I know perfectly well I won't get near what I payed for her. Like I said, it was an impulsive buy based on poor judgement and impatience (wanted smithi, and found it a month later).

I just think I may want something bigger and slower. I'm still undecided, and I probably won't decide until I find out what I can get for her and what replacement I can buy. If I can't find anything I like and get at least 1/2 of what i payed (or 1/3 if despirately want what I find).

At the moment, it looks like I want either geniculata, seemanni, or pulchra. I think geniculata might be out of the question, though...

N.