Fantastic Beginner Tarantulas and How to Keep Them

Potatatas

Arachnoknight
Love it :)

Maybe you could add a note to disregard all care sheet/most youtuber/pet shop advice?
As a recent newbie myself, I found it hard to work out which info was correct as you often find conflicting statements

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
The only guy on YT I can confidently vouch for would be Tom Moran.

Take everything the other youtubers say with a grain of salt.

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
Creating content is unbelievably time consuming. I have no idea how some of these YouTubers do it. I may start up again eventually, we shall see.
Not to mention 2 hour long upload times (one of the reasons I haven't uploaded anything yet).

Excellent thread idea

I created a best beginner species thread a while back that is a mix of research and experience, but I need to make changes to it (making another one for the next step on the ladder soon). I'll just slip it in here for extra reference if necessary:

http://arachnoboards.com/threads/i-am-going-to-help-out-prospective-hobbyists-a-little-bit.304316/

wingedcoatl

Arachnopeon
Wow! Lots of feedback! At this point I have to hit the road for the day and there's only 3 hours left to make edits. I tried to incorporate everyone's advice and links and I think I pretty much got everything with the exception of the pictures that @The Grym Reaper so kindly provided. I wanted to keep the guide as purely text and links for readability and brevity (also, if I did end up doing pictures, I would want lots and lots and I just didn't have the time). I want to thank everyone who contributed. I tried to add everyone whose info I adopted in the little credits section at the bottom. I'm going to remove "rough draft" from the title now!

Edit: I think the option to change the thread title may have disappeared on me. Oh well. Maybe a kind mod could make the change for me?

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Edit: I think the option to change the thread title may have disappeared on me. Oh well. Maybe a kind mod could make the change for me?
What do you want the title to be?

I have gotten approval from staff to rework our beginner content (consolidating some of the stickies and providing updated links), and this care guide will be part of that.

wingedcoatl

Arachnopeon
What do you want the title to be?

I have gotten approval from staff to rework our beginner content (consolidating some of the stickies and providing updated links), and this care guide will be part of that.
Frankly just removing the rough draft part would be ideal. I'm happy with the name otherwise and with how everything came out. Thanks, @Ungoliant. You inspired this little project of mine and I'm happy that it will be put to good use!

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Also, if you guys have any genus- or species-specific guides (besides the Avic ones I already know about), link them here, because I am planning to include a section with links to community-recommended care guides.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Also, if you guys have any genus- or species-specific guides (besides the Avic ones I already know about), link them here, because I am planning to include a section with links to community-recommended care guides.
Venom made a Poecilotheria thread way back as well, here it is. http://arachnoboards.com/threads/poecilotheria-care.291471/ I will be making one on the Ornithoctoninae subfamily, just haven't gotten around to it yet. And theres also the Theraphosa thread in my signature.

Other then that, I haven't seen any other genus specific guides on AB.

The Seraph

Arachnolord

LurkingUnderground

Arachnosquire
I don't know if this has been mentioned. But it is worth getting spring tails and Isopods to keep in side our T's enclosures?
I have a gramGrammos pulchripes and a brachypelma albopilosum. If I remember right they like to have moist bedding. After moving the B. Albopilosum mold has been showing up. With out it being the mold that seems to show up on discarded food items. Which shows up like 5 hours? After they are done with their food. I never can catch them before them. Mostly bevbeca I can't find the food balls between them feeding and toll after they have discarded it. I pick it out once I am able to find the moldy discard. But never able to find them before they get moldy.
Anyway. I just wanna know if I should worry about getting some isoIsop and/or springtails.
Also i should take a oicpict and ask if you guys, and gals, think the cage is too big for "coconut" named after the way the hair looks.

This is really great. :) Good job!

You could add some links to important threads for some further questions that may arise:

All you need to know about mold
All you need to know about mites
Tarantula Stuck in Its Molt? Look Here for Advice

These were all made by our fabulous @boina :)

And maybe there could be a small additional section about arboreals because IMO if cared for correctly Avics and their relatives can be beginner Ts as well. All you need to add are these two threads ;)

Avicularia care by @Venom1080
Avicularia husbandry by @viper69
Last time I had anything like mites. Springtails or what not. Was only showing up in my water dishes.

... I hate typing on a phone.

Last edited by a moderator:

wingedcoatl

Arachnopeon
Looks like there is a bit of a hole in my guide! For all the beginner Ts listed, yours included, there is no need to moisten the substrate beyond occasionally over filling the water dish a little. Leaving the sub dry does no harm to the T, and it saves you from unnecessarily chasing some arbitrary humidity percentage, and dry sub does not grow mold. For the species that do need moist sub, springtails are a fantastic addition, and dwarf white isopods are also supposed to be safe. Other isopods may munch on a molting T.

My advice is to let your enclosures dry out. Anyone more experienced can feel free to correct me, buy I've kept Grammostola and Brachypelma on dry sub with no issues.

Makes me wish I could edit the OP lol. That's a great question!