fancy getting into true spiders?

jb92

Arachnopeon
hi just wondering how many true spider species are actually availabe in the uk as i dont seem to see many around at all to be honest?
thanks
jb

fenhawk1

Arachnosquire
hmm, you could try a Tegeneria(s,p?) i like them, they seem to web alot.

Scolopeon

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
hi just wondering how many true spider species are actually availabe in the uk as i dont seem to see many around at all to be honest?
thanks
jb

I have a bit of a story i'm about to recount, let me just gather my thoughts a second, so brace yourselves... this is gonna be a long one.

Last year I was working behind the counter at my old job... when I lifted a bag I found what I can only describe as a Segestria Florentina or the tube web spider that was about 50mm leg span with a 23-24mm body, it was uniform black and dark brown, but it lacked the green iridescence on the jaws so I couldn't be sure if that what it was.

It seemed to have forward protruding jaws of the Mygalomorphidae which close together like a true spider I believe they are of the Araneomorphae order.
I do have a video I took of it eating knocking around, so i'll have to retrieve that so I can see if you guys can confirm thats what it was.

Definately the most impressive species I have found here in the UK, it reared up fangs exposed and attacked and killed anything I placed in it's tub with reltive ease including a large house spider (Tegenaria Gigantea) which had a similar leg span but a smaller body, looked very much like a variant of the funnel web spider in a smaller package.

[Unrelated] The largest female Tegenaria Gigantea I have captured and accurately measured was 65mm leg span and a 20-22mm body and that was a monster in terms of legs and size (unless you count the 80mm leg span of males I have found in the past).

(Back to the encounter) Anyway it was found in the shop I worked underneath some bags that were transferred in from Basingstoke, so I believe it must be a native species that lives over here but this was the first time I had seen or heard of it.
My co-worker said in amazement "is that a tarantula! its f***ing huge :eek:" I said no it's just a huge native spider (initially I thought it was an overgrown black stone spider, the kind that crawl on your walls) being the big bugman that I am! I scooped it up and let it crawl from my hand up to my arm and I really could really appreciate this monster up close, with a large chunky body and jutting chelicerae size so I thought to myself this is something completely different I'm gonna have to aquire this specimen and check it out on the internet.

I placed it in one of the bags and left it outside the shop in a flower pot (it was raining down heavy but the bag stayed intact.) because no one wanted me to keep it in the store.
I picked it up after work and took it home with me.

The huge female died a few months later but it did lay an egg sack and the spiderlings eventually hatched, I looked after them in the tub for a few weeks but I was going on holiday and I stupidly placed a sack of the false widow spider, another non native-native species we get that is also impressive for sustenance while I was away (I didn't realise they were faster growing and started out larger in life) and when I came back my beloved new aquisitions were all but spun up and sucked dry... I was kicking myself over this, but dam those suckers were slow growing, they only shed once or twice in that time.

Sorry for the uber reply, I just had to recall that little encounter.
-Scolo

---------- Post added at 02:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:16 PM ----------

Here is a crude picture I just quickly drew of the morphology of it, I'll have to see if I can get the video off of my old phone. :D

Can't remember where the dark browns were.

Scolopeon

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
thanks
jb
I'm guessing unless you caught them yourself then none..

-Edit- some sites like virginacheeseman.co.uk get true spider species in, right now she has some huntsman that are 10cm!