false bottom for arboreals?

Duc de Blangis

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
has anybody tried using a false bottom setup for arboreals? if so how effective was it?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Well you can try it if you want........ how will you feed? I have used setups where the lid just pulls back and thats worked just fine. Plus a false bottem all the does is make is so you have to lift the setup up to get it to open.... I dont see that being advantagous in any way.

Jonathan Rice

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Interesting idea... Though potentially problematic! I like to keep 3 main things in my aboreals' cages: substrate, a water dish, and a branch and/or cork bark. The problem I see is this.. You have your branch or cork back leaning against the side of the cage.

Everytime you pull out the bottom you're ruining your t's hide, webbing all gone, pulled from the wall. Good brainstorming but I think it'd just stress the t out way too much! Unless you somehow attached a brach on the side of the cage, but that's a lot of work and I have trust issues with glues!

Don't be discouraged though! Invent something!

Last edited:

Nich

Curator of glass boxes
Old Timer
You have to put a large mesh (ie, plastic construction mesh) above the false for the above reason of destroying the web. This alows stuff like crix and remains lo fall to the bootom for easy romoval. If its setup right its pretty nice for making a sterile tank....but it's alot of work for multiple setups and usually gets abondoned for that reason.

Midnightrdr456

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
or you can just have the cork bark not reach the bottom and secure it to the top of the tank. ive seen that done

scjones22

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I use this for my versicolors. I bought doll display cases at hobby lobby and melted tons of holes in the top. I used the bottum for substrate. The cork bark I did not use. I found a parrot purch at a local petstore that had a bolt screwed into a piece of wood that is held to the top of the enclosure by a wingnut. This works perfect for mine right now I love it. I think it makes things easier on me because most arboreals usually want to move upwards when you open the enclore. This way they go to the top and are unable to escape.

ErikH

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Do a search. I know someone posted pictures of this kind of a set-up a couple of months ago.