Falling into the Old World

Jeff23

Arachnolord
When is a freebie not a freebie?

It wasn't more than a few days ago that I started an internal argument within myself over the idea of getting Monocrentropus balfouri species. And of course my interest in the Ceratogyrus genus has also been rising after reading more about it in recent threads. These look like beautiful T's. In combination with the mention of them being a little more laid back and active the idea is making me give it thought.

Nonetheless I placed another order for a few more NW slings in the meantime and got my happy package today. I then noticed there was an extra vial. It read Hysterocrates Gigas (Red Baboon)o_O:eek::wideyed::astonished::banghead::arghh::mad:. So here I am rehousing my new T's with containers ready for three T's and no care information known or gathered for a forth T that I know I would not order any time soon. I know. It is a freebie. I shouldn't complain. But this is just wrong. No freebie or the correct freebie would be acceptable. If they had emailed me, this little T would be going to an owner who is perfectly comfortable with OW highly defensive T's.

I am not sure what my final results are going to be on this, but I will say one thing. The T will not suffer as a consequence of this result. I will just have to make sure this little spider gets special markings so that we both can survive this thing.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
OW are not tough to care for. its just the rehousing that gets people, make sure the cage is big for it so you can minimize rehousing. if you know how to keep Megaphobema, keep the Hysteocrates the same, moist sub with decent vent to help prevent mold.

Marijan2

Arachnobaron
You're fretting too much :rofl::rofl::rofl:
I think Hysterocrates, along with Ceratogyrus is great intro to OW species, just treat it like you'd treat Megaphobema or Ephebopus and you'll have absolutely no problems. Enjoy your new little bro ;)

Jeff23

Arachnolord
I think Hysterocrates, along with Ceratogyrus is great intro to OW species, just treat it like you'd treat Megaphobema or Ephebopus and you'll have absolutely no problems. Enjoy your new little bro ;)
Deleted Troll - You didn't deserve that. I am just a little upset.

Last edited:

Jeff23

Arachnolord
OW are not tough to care for. its just the rehousing that gets people, make sure the cage is big for it so you can minimize rehousing. if you know how to keep Megaphobema, keep the Hysteocrates the same, moist sub with decent vent to help prevent mold.
Thanks for the advice. It isn't about not knowing how to care for it. I do own Megaphobema so the care will be a piece of cake.

I currently have a lot of T's and feeding, maintenance, etc. goes like clockwork up to now. Now there will be some point where the clock strikes DANGER Will Robinson. DANGER!.

And then I look at a website that provides some interesting descriptions about T's and it says "This is a pet hole. You will very seldom see this species."

AlbatrossWarrior

Arachnosquire
H. gigas are a great starter OW, ime. Mine was my first OW. She's only defensive if I poke her and she has nowhere to go. You're definitely worrying too much, haha :D They are VERY shy. But I wouldn't consider them a pet hole. My female is out all the time unless I spook her. Basically they are out when they think nobody's watching They also grow at a decent rate. :) I rehoused mine a few months ago and she didn't give a single threat posture. In fact she hasn't threat posture-d me in a long time.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I then noticed there was an extra vial. It read Hysterocrates Gigas (Red Baboon)o_O:eek::wideyed::astonished::banghead::arghh::mad:. So here I am rehousing my new T's with containers ready for three T's and no care information known or gathered for a forth T that I know I would not order any time soon. I know. It is a freebie. I shouldn't complain. But this is just wrong. No freebie or the correct freebie would be acceptable. If they had emailed me, this little T would be going to an owner who is perfectly comfortable with OW highly defensive T's.
As much as I'd normally appreciate a "free gift with purchase," when it comes to live animals I'd just as soon pass - especially if it's a secret spider surprise where you don't know what you're getting (or even that you're getting it) ahead of time! I'd hate to be caught unprepared with a newly-arrived spider and no place to put it, plus the idea of getting a species I'm either not ready for or not interested in is less than appealing. I don't have unlimited space or cages, so I have to be selective when it comes to which species I get. Unlike Pokemon, I can't possibly catch 'em all!

Jeff23

Arachnolord
Can someone provide information to me regarding the speed of this T. I am trying to figure out how I can keep it safe for the T with plenty of room in case it bolts for the opening at some point. Is it similar to NW terrestrials? Hopefully with correct husbandry it won't have a reason to try.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
H. gigas was my 2nd T. I love them. They grow very quick, have a ferocious appetite, best kept room temps and with an overflowed water dish, dampen half enclosure. Slings like sub a little more moist for making extensive burrows.

These are quite unique Ts. They are very interesting for a sp. that lacks colour. They will grow big and bulky(usually). My gigas was at 7.75" when I sold her.

As for 'beginner baboon' I am not too sure. They can have huge attitude problems and they grow fast and large so it may make you a little nervous. The strike almost everything that touches the ground so just be careful while doing maintenance, feeding etc.

Please dont let that deter you though as I didnt know what i was getting into with mine but as it grew I understood it better and knew what to expect.

Hysterocrates are usually dished out as freebies as most are quite easy to breed and drop fairly big sacs.

Gigas is a great addition to any collection and I am looking to add one to mine again soon :D

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Thanks for the advice. It isn't about not knowing how to care for it. I do own Megaphobema so the care will be a piece of cake.

I currently have a lot of T's and feeding, maintenance, etc. goes like clockwork up to now. Now there will be some point where the clock strikes DANGER Will Robinson. DANGER!.

And then I look at a website that provides some interesting descriptions about T's and it says "This is a pet hole. You will very seldom see this species."
eh, mines out pretty often. but bolts down its burrow when disturbed.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Received Hysterocrates laticeps and Acanthogonathus pissi(myg not T) as freebies recently and was pleasantly surprised. :)

Whoever doesnt like free spiders GTFO :jimlad:

AlbatrossWarrior

Arachnosquire
These are quite unique Ts. They are very interesting for a sp. that lacks colour.
Don't forget that they change color quite a bit as they get closer to molting :D And they are very unique in that they can swim underwater. It's one of my goals to set up a communal tank with a pond area and a deep substrate/bank area for a few Gigas. Or maybe I'll just put my current female in a tank when she gets bigger.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Yeah, this is not a beginner OW by any means (that crown belongs to C. darlingi in my book). But you'll be fine :)

If you're nervous, just set it up in a cage that won't need to be changed out any time soon. I assume that you have a sling, and these don't really start to get attitude until they're 1.5"-2.5" dls. House it in a typical deli cup or something similar until it outgrows that... it won't be long. When it's large enough that it won't be able to slip through the ventilation, rehouse it into a large KK with some deep substrate for burrowing. Unlike many burrowers, this one will stand its ground and fight. Be prepared for that, but the feeding hatch on top of the KK will help with maintenance. That KK will keep your spider happy for quite some time. It'll need to be rehoused eventually, but not anytime soon. By then, hopefully you'll have the hang of this.

As a side note... what a terrible freebie to include in an order of NW's!
"Oh, you're ordering a batch of beginner tarantulas? Here, have a defensive baboon."

Jeff23

Arachnolord
H. gigas are a great starter OW, ime. Mine was my first OW. She's only defensive if I poke her and she has nowhere to go. You're definitely worrying too much, haha :D They are VERY shy. But I wouldn't consider them a pet hole. My female is out all the time unless I spook her. Basically they are out when they think nobody's watching They also grow at a decent rate. :) I rehoused mine a few months ago and she didn't give a single threat posture. In fact she hasn't threat posture-d me in a long time.
That is great news to hear. I was too afraid to pull the trigger on OW's due to my current situation where I have a lot of slings. Right now I have never worried about opening any lid and did it as soon as I see no spider near the lid. I have been bit and stung by most wasps and bees in my area so the fear has never been there....until now.

So even though this throws a monkey wrench into my process, your post at least gives me hope that it might be an interesting T.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
I apologize for the troll icon on my past response to you. I am just upset from the unexpected change.

AlbatrossWarrior

Arachnosquire
So even though this throws a monkey wrench into my process, your post at least gives me hope that it might be an interesting T.
TBH, my Gigas might be my favorite T currently. :D M. balfouri is my favorite species that I've never owned, but I certainly love my Gigas. After molting she's a very sleek grey/black color, then as they get closer to molting they turn a rust brown.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Don't forget that they change color quite a bit as they get closer to molting :D And they are very unique in that they can swim underwater. It's one of my goals to set up a communal tank with a pond area and a deep substrate/bank area for a few Gigas. Or maybe I'll just put my current female in a tank when she gets bigger.
Absolutely agree. Who wouldnt want to have a spider that swims/dives and has social life? And for free :p

Bugmom

Arachnolord
It really bugs me when sellers don't communicate that a freebie will be included in an order. Now, if that information is listed on the same website or page that you viewed when ordering the tarantulas, then I do think it's on you to see that info, but I still think that the freebie needs to show up as an item in the cart or in some way make it obvious that it's included in the order.

I don't understand not making absolutely sure that buyers know that there will be an additional LIVE ANIMAL in their order. I've been caught without an appropriate enclosure before when I found myself with more tarantulas than I'd counted on.

SELLERS: ALWAYS COMMUNICATE EXACTLY HOW MANY AND WHAT SPECIES YOUR BUYERS WILL BE RECEIVING!

/endrant

I've never kept gigas. They just never stood out to me. Dunno, maybe I'm missing out.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
It really bugs me when sellers don't communicate that a freebie will be included in an order. Now, if that information is listed on the same website or page that you viewed when ordering the tarantulas, then I do think it's on you to see that info, but I still think that the freebie needs to show up as an item in the cart or in some way make it obvious that it's included in the order.

I don't understand not making absolutely sure that buyers know that there will be an additional LIVE ANIMAL in their order. I've been caught without an appropriate enclosure before when I found myself with more tarantulas than I'd counted on.

SELLERS: ALWAYS COMMUNICATE EXACTLY HOW MANY AND WHAT SPECIES YOUR BUYERS WILL BE RECEIVING!

/endrant

I've never kept gigas. They just never stood out to me. Dunno, maybe I'm missing out.
Eh, I'm personally alright with the culture of freebies. Spiders are so easy to house that you can always find something suitable, even if it's not your first choice and won't be a permanent home. I just like opening a box to see some free, unexpected spiders. Better than Christmas, I'll tell you.

But, like I said, an OW should never be a freebie unless the buyer actually paid for more than one OW in their order. That's just irresponsible selling, in my eyes. How does this seller know that he didn't just send a hot, defensive tarantula to some kid? Or someone who doesn't like defensive T's?