Falling into the Old World

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
I agree. Freebies are good but they should follow the theme of the order. If all were NW the seller should have asked or sent a NW sling if equal value.

Bugmom

Arachnolord
Eh, I'm personally alright with the culture of freebies. Spiders are so easy to house that you can always find something suitable, even if it's not your first choice and won't be a permanent home. I just like opening a box to see some free, unexpected spiders. Better than Christmas, I'll tell you.

But, like I said, an OW should never be a freebie unless the buyer actually paid for more than one OW in their order. That's just irresponsible selling, in my eyes. How does this seller know that he didn't just send a hot, defensive tarantula to some kid? Or someone who doesn't like defensive T's?
I'm cool with freebies. Heck, I love freebies, give me all the freebies you want! But make dang sure the buyer knows it's coming, and don't send OWs to buyers if you don't know they can handle it. Like you said, what if it's a kid? I see tons of OBTs and other OWs as freebies and I'm just like... really? I get that a lot of these are easily bred species, and you want to offload your surplus, but maybe consider *not* over-breeding OWs if you have to literally give them away to put a dent in your stock.

The last person I bought from had two or three different species I could choose from for which freebie I wanted. I liked that method a lot better. I was able to get something I wanted, and had never kept before.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
I'm cool with freebies. Heck, I love freebies, give me all the freebies you want! But make dang sure the buyer knows it's coming, and don't send OWs to buyers if you don't know they can handle it. Like you said, what if it's a kid? I see tons of OBTs and other OWs as freebies and I'm just like... really? I get that a lot of these are easily bred species, and you want to offload your surplus, but maybe consider *not* over-breeding OWs if you have to literally give them away to put a dent in your stock.

The last person I bought from had two or three different species I could choose from for which freebie I wanted. I liked that method a lot better. I was able to get something I wanted, and had never kept before.
I get this completely. If someone buys off me and they are getting a freebie i give them a few options. Its a shame most OW arr that cheap and easy to breed that some dealers do just give them away.

Its usually Africans, Asians or NW that have huge sacs(LP, Acantho and Nhandu)

I have received so many Nhandu over the years aha

AlbatrossWarrior

Arachnosquire
I have received so many Nhandu over the years aha
I must be buying from the wrong breeders then, haha :rofl: The only freebies I've received are and OBT, dune scorp, and 3 extra bark scorps along with the one I payed for. I don't think I've ever seen a free Nhandu on a list of freebies either </3

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member

Who on earth are you ordering from that gives away free OBT's?! Now that is the worst freebie imaginable. The only unexpected freebies I've ever gotten were NW. The few OW freebies I've gotten were at expos when *gasp* I bought several OW's. That's how it should be. Like you said, why bother breeding these OW's if their value is so low that you literally give them away?

AlbatrossWarrior

Arachnosquire
Who on earth are you ordering from that gives away free OBT's?!
Kelly Swift, my friend :D (I know you weren't quoting me but I mentioned getting a free OBT) And he has a list of freebies that you can add on, so I asked for it, haha. I agree though, you probably shouldn't breed a T that's hardly worth much. (Although I love OBTs and they're very underrated)

Bugmom

Arachnolord
Who on earth are you ordering from that gives away free OBT's?! Now that is the worst freebie imaginable. The only unexpected freebies I've ever gotten were NW. The few OW freebies I've gotten were at expos when *gasp* I bought several OW's. That's how it should be. Like you said, why bother breeding these OW's if their value is so low that you literally give them away?
I haven't personally received a free OBT, but I've seen them listed as freebies when browsing tarantula stores and classifieds.

@AlbatrossWarrior Kelly Swift is a he ;)

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
I would love to see free OBTs here instead of Lp, G. rosea and Nhandu chromatus. However, preferably given as freebie to an experienced buyer.

So they give you the option to get it (from Swift I mean)?

AlbatrossWarrior

Arachnosquire
I would love to see free OBTs here instead of Lp, G. rosea and Nhandu chromatus. However, preferably given as freebie to an experienced buyer.

So they give you the option to get it (from Swift I mean)?
Yes, when you confirm your shopping cart you can add a note or something to ask for what freebie you want. (Unless I'm an idiot and you just email him after you order about it)

Jeff23

Arachnolord
H. gigas was my 2nd T. I love them. They grow very quick, have a ferocious appetite, best kept room temps and with an overflowed water dish, dampen half enclosure. Slings like sub a little more moist for making extensive burrows.

These are quite unique Ts. They are very interesting for a sp. that lacks colour. They will grow big and bulky(usually). My gigas was at 7.75" when I sold her.

As for 'beginner baboon' I am not too sure. They can have huge attitude problems and they grow fast and large so it may make you a little nervous. The strike almost everything that touches the ground so just be careful while doing maintenance, feeding etc.

Please dont let that deter you though as I didnt know what i was getting into with mine but as it grew I understood it better and knew what to expect.

Hysterocrates are usually dished out as freebies as most are quite easy to breed and drop fairly big sacs.

Gigas is a great addition to any collection and I am looking to add one to mine again soon :D
It really bugs me when sellers don't communicate that a freebie will be included in an order. Now, if that information is listed on the same website or page that you viewed when ordering the tarantulas, then I do think it's on you to see that info, but I still think that the freebie needs to show up as an item in the cart or in some way make it obvious that it's included in the order.

I don't understand not making absolutely sure that buyers know that there will be an additional LIVE ANIMAL in their order. I've been caught without an appropriate enclosure before when I found myself with more tarantulas than I'd counted on.

SELLERS: ALWAYS COMMUNICATE EXACTLY HOW MANY AND WHAT SPECIES YOUR BUYERS WILL BE RECEIVING!

/endrant

I've never kept gigas. They just never stood out to me. Dunno, maybe I'm missing out.
Thank You. :)
Their site says nothing about any freebies. They did not include anything about freebies coming in the shipment in any of the three emails. They only confirmed the shipment location, order information, and shipment date. I don't want to drag them through the mud however. They did an excellent job on the shipment. All of the T's are healthy. While three spiders stayed in their vials after I placed them in the target containers, the Gigas immediately came out.

The seller on my prior order a couple weeks ago offered me an OBT for free. I turned it down. They came back and offered me a free Hapolopus sp. (Columbia) in a second email. I accepted it. Great communication.

AlbatrossWarrior

Arachnosquire
So do I need to provide it a swimming pool? :D
I personally prefer giving mine a hot tub, with a martini glass on the side :cool:

If you don't give them a big water bowl to swim in, it's fine, lol, they don't NEED water (aside from a drinking bowl and wet substrate) But mine will chill in the water occasionally. When spooked she'll either run to her burrow or make a dash for the water

Jeff23

Arachnolord
The one thing that all of us need to be careful about is our enthusiasm for someone getting a surprise like this. I can understand you being this way to me. I am still weak on experience but hopefully at a high level of rookie stage.:p And I will laugh this off after I own this T for a while.

But there are people who are going to buy their first T's ever from this same seller. Will they get this same OW T? Perhaps the seller saw that I was buying Psalms and thought "This guy can't be new to the hobby" or "This guy must be comfortable with higher level T's". But the last thing we want is somebody new to the hobby on the evening news with a nasty bite situation because a seller sent out a high venom level T with no confirmation and no prior sells to this individual.

Marijan2

Arachnobaron
Perhaps the seller saw that I was buying Psalms and thought "This guy can't be new to the hobby" or "This guy must be comfortable with higher level T's".
Be honest I am much more wary of Psalmos than Hysterocrates. Psalmos are deep stepping stone for OW arboreals imo. Not that i approve sellers actions or agree with him, just saying you are pretty much ready for most of the OW tarantulas if you can handle Psalmos

Jeff23

Arachnolord
I see you dislike my enthusiasm for free spiders @Jeff23 :p
I offered you a beer. What more can it be worth. :D

I know. You are just messing with me.:p When this situation first hit me it bothered me a lot. But everybody has helped me calm down. I believe I can take care of this T just fine, but do wish this type of situation could occur in the future instead of now (once more of my slings are juveniles). It does sound like I did get an acceptable interesting T as a freebie.