falling dmg?

widowkeeper

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
just wondering how many ppl have had spiders hurt from falling. while in their cage?

ive never had one hurt granted ive only had about 100 adults
ive seen countless falls from the tops of cages falls of 6 inches to 2 feet
maybe its the sub i use 100% peat and never less then 3 inches when kept right its always a lil soft

one obt i have i swear it can fly every time i pass its cage it launches off someting and bolts to either its newest hide or to a better vantage point and begins throwing up threat displays and hissing (gringing its fangs ) she constantly falls upwards of 1.5 feet

just wondering because i see so many ppl worried about it
and i dont really see it as an issue

only falling dmg ive had was from a flying leap to the hard wood floor and that only once. now while doing transfers all are in cups befor leaving their cages :D

Icey

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'm not too concerned about falls but then again I only have aboreal species and the slings I've had have fallen countless times without any harm coming to them and I stopped using substrate ever since one of my Ts refused to come down onto it. I suppose it would be different with terresterial species, I could definetely see the danger in a terresterial species falling a distance and hurting themselves or even going splat like water balloon

TheDarkFinder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
seen about 5 but have heard about a dozen or so deaths.

it does happen, but mostly when you have a tarantula ready to molt, and ruptures it abdomen