Fakie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Longbord1

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
funniest thing ever

I told kids in school i was bitten by my Rosea (i was sick that day) i went home cause i was sick. it went around the school that i went ot the hospital and died it's so funny im gonna go into school like i changed into spiderman than no one will mess with me!!!;P

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Actually, it's not really funny at all and not something I would brag about. Your little stunt could have just turned off a whole bunch of kids to tarantulas forever. How many kids that might have been interested in T's will now not want anything to do with them? The last thing this hobby needs is any kind of negative press and starting a rumour that you were killed by a tarantula bite is a great way to do that...

:(

Not a good move.......

Scott

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
I agree. How are people supposed to learn the truth about tarantulas if you are trying to scare people with them. Maybe you shouldn't be keeping tarantulas if that's your driving force. You should seriously consider the impact of your actions before using a hobby that all of us here have to fight to keep from being surrounded by old wives tales and myths as an excuse to cut english.

Bill

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
Originally posted by Redips
I told kids in school i was bitten by my Rosea (i was sick that day)
......you didn't start the rumor?

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Re: Re: Fakie

Originally posted by Mister Internet
......you didn't start the rumor?

Exactly.

You may not have deliberately added the 'died' part, but you sure as heck are responsible because you lied about being bitten and lied about the effects from being bitten.

Sadly, the story about how you weren't bitten by a T and just missed school isn't nearly so sensational so no matter what you do you're unlikely to fully offset the damage done as beyond realising you're not dead, that's as much correction as the average person is going to absorb.

Further, who cares if only three people want a T? That's not even close to being relevant. We live in a world where rental complexes and even whole cities and counties ban tarantula ownership for no good reason whatsoever and then you laugh about fueling the ignorance :mad:

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i slightly hate to keep going with this, but what can you do?

redips wrote

theres only like 3 kids that want one and i am gonna tell them the truth also my friend is gonna fix the rumor i didn't start the rumor
1) man if rumors were only that easy to kill.. too bad most people, even after hearing the truth, will always remember the bad crap (in other words, they'll remember the story about you being "bitten", no matter how many people you tell you just had a cold)... thats how all the lore spreads around Ts... Scott said it best

2) and thats pretty cool you know all the people that want Ts. What, you stood around and asked everyone at school? :)

i'm just busting your chops about the second part,
but the first part is really true.

not necessarily the coolest thing to do, but we all make mistakes. Hey mistakes are sometimes the best way to learn, right?

this may sound stupid, but if you honestly didn't start the rumour, then do your best to stamp it out -- maybe see if you can bring in your T to do a presentation or something -- maybe bring it into one class, i don't know.... I bet people would remember that more .. "oh no, he totally was holding her, it was cool! Tarantulas aren't mean!" That might be something good to do, to help erase what's been going around... plus gives you an excuse to bring a T to school!

"mary had a little blondi, little blondi, little blondi.. mary had a little blondi, it's fangs were big and black" ;)

oh man, you gotta forgive that last bit

peace
dave

Last edited:

pategirl

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
That's not funny in the least. The majority of people already fear spiders, especially tarantulas. So what if only three people that you know of want tarantulas? Just because they don't want one, doesn't mean they are not interested in them at all. You should tell everyone the truth, not just those you think want tarantulas.

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Have to agree.....

Been plenty said so far but I fully agree that it was a stupid move and potentially harmful to the hobby. Ts get plenty of bad press without a childish attempt to skip school adding fuel to the fire.

Chalk up another one for human ignorance. And no I don't feel badly for busting anyones chops on this one as it is more than deserved.

Phil

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by Redips
funniest thing ever

I told kids in school i was bitten by my Rosea (i was sick that day) i went home cause i was sick. it went around the school that i went ot the hospital and died it's so funny im gonna go into school like i changed into spiderman than no one will mess with me!!!;P
Idiots.

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If I may make one more point to illustrate the possible extent of damage.

All it takes is one anal teacher or one over protective parent getting word of this. You'd be surprised how much extra time some (invert-ignorant) folks have to see a good thing through to it's demise. There are many people ready, willing and possibly fully capable of imposing a ban on our beloved animals.
This in turn could effect more than just "Joe T-Keeper and his rosie". There are a handfull of serious hobbyists who are responsible for keeping and breeding species that are no longer legal to import. There are many hobbyists who have spent years learning to breed species whos numbers are threatened in the wild. These people are our only chance at keeping some of these T's in the hobby (or even in the wild) for the long run. Now, suppose all that were to come to an end over a rumor? Sounds far fetched huh? Not as unlikely as one might think.
In the future, I hope you can do your best to promote the truth about these undescribably cool animals.

Atrax

Last edited:

abstract

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hey Redips - don't feel so bad. Yes it was a bad move - but now you know how the people that take this seriously feel (probably quite different than your schoolmates).

It's obvious that you're sorry, because i saw that you edited your post regarding how many people wanted Ts.

Now your penance - educate your friends / schoolmates!

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
everything thats been said is true, but geez, let's at least try some advice for the guy.. How bout us trying to figure out a way to help out, you know?

As for an idea,listen, why don't you seriously try to make a good thing out of a bad situation? Try to see if you can bring your bad boy in for a little impromptu session, or something... I know i already said it, but i think its a good idea, and i'll expand...

i know its the end of the year / beggining of summer school, and what better time to do this?

And if not, see if you can at least bring the T in if you can't do a presentation...

but i bet if you talk to your principle and if he checked some websites or emailed some people, it could be worked out!!

i think that, along with telling people the real deal, would be an excellent way to work this out!

hey even if nothing could work out, i bet theres nothing wrong with bringing our T after school -- everyone's still there right after school right, and you could still show people that they dont just rear up and rip your face off.. well at least not this species ;)

you do have to realise it is a sore spot in this hobby/field.. i mean, again, there really are a lot of T-myths that surround these fuzzy guys, ya know? Pointless, unneccesary, stupid myths.
Most of us are trying to promte Ts and show people that these guys don't deserve such a bad rep as they usually get... Hell type into google "Florida+Tarantula+Ban" and sit back and read some mighty stupid crap!

Finally, don't worry man, alot of people have made stupid, stupid mistakes with Ts, whether its contributing to T-lore, keeping a cage top open for a T to escape, accidentally killing a T, keeping prey in the cage too long... but the thing is, we've learned from these mistakes, so they don't happen again, right?

so just learn from your mistake :)

peace
dave

Last edited:

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Originally posted by RugbyDave
everything thats been said is true, but geez, let's at least try some advice for the guy.. How bout us trying to figure out a way to help out, you know?
Oh sure, Dave, try to take the high road here ;P

He has been registered on this site for some months now and people reacted strongly because by all rights he should have known better and, more important to my perception of the issue, should have known the post would fly like a lead filled oil tanker on this board.

Trying to do pennance in the form of educational presentations is a good idea, but just thinking more in the future is an even better one.

Redips, hopefully all this flack hasn't put you off too much and you better realise both the gravity of the situation, but more importantly realise the role you can take in making the situation better. It may not win you popularity, but in the same amount of time it took you to tell your fib about being bitten for attention you could be correcting someone the next time you hear bogus information about spiders or any of the misunderstood but useful critters out there.

Buspirone

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I like the idea of trying to educate people to dispel the rumor that was created. You might try talking to a sympathetic science teacher and explain the situation. Tell him/her that you feel bad for the bad image that your error in judgement has created for tarantulas, keepers, its public image and how you would like to correct the issue through education then ask for their help. Maybe the science teacher can talk to the other teachers in the science department about devoting some classtime to educate the students about tarantulas,RUMORS and myths that surround them and what the truth is with your help, of course. This time of year around finals their is always some free time available that teachers usually fill with a lame game of hangman and such so you should have ample opportunity to amend your error.

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
high road, shmigh road, you're just mad cos you didn't say anything ... ;P (just giving it back CM)

but seriously, you're gonna be "learning from your mistake" ... right mike... and that will hopefully lead to "Not Doing It In The Future"

oh whoa..this is longboard1?? new name...
i see now... :)

peace
dave

Last edited:

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I think the important thing is that we should not be feeding into the unwarranted hysteria and actually try to educate people. I mean how many Hollywood movies have featured harmless non-lethal spiders or scorpions (Emperors being the most popular Hollywood scorpion. I love how the Rock is envenomated with "Lethal" Emp venom in the Scorpion King. :rolleyes: )as creatures intent on killing people in a fit of bloodlust? People have such a deep rooted fear concerning creatures who would rather run away from you than go for your jugular.

Last edited:

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
we're just joshing... :)

but i never saw the scorpion king -- did he really die from being stung by an Emp?!!!

also, were there any scorpions in the movie?
i just though it was a name!

peace
dave

Last edited:

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
well, you did make a mistake.

the best thing you can do now is simply correct it. just tell people the truth and the rest should sort itself out.

in general, even if it isn't about spiders and the like...it's best not to fool anyone.

it's definitely true that once you lie to someone they'll trust you less next time. and if you ever truly need help, they may not be willing to assist you in fear of being made a fool.

but everyone makes mistakes. don't beat yourself up over it, learn from the past and do what you can to progress. :)

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by RugbyDave
we're just joshing... :)

but i never saw the scorpion king -- did he really die from being stung by an Emp?!!!

also, were there any scorpions in the movie?
i just though it was a name!

peace
dave
He didn't really die due to Kelly Hu's (She plays Cassandra, the Rock's love interest.) intervention. But he gets envenomated by getting an arrow dabbed in Emp venom stuick in his leg. I have to laugh everytime I see that scene and those of him suffering from Emp venom. I guess the Rock is allergic to beestings.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.