Fake death curl?

Transylvania

Gondorian
Old Timer
I've searched for this topic but heard different responses, and they were all talking about slings. But what about my juvie/young adult? It's been 2 days since she molted, and at around 5pm yesterday, I noticed most of her legs were slightly curled. Checked on her again today and she's in the same position. Is she just faking it? Before she curled up she was moving around a bit, so I figured she wouldn't be about to die. The molt went by perfectly and she does have a couple legs near the back that aren't curled.
Not too worried about it, just want some confirmation...

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have had smithi do this to me many times. I think I catch them cleaning and if you touch her you will find that she will spread out and try to flick hairs. But just to make sure gently touch her and see if she perks up. If so you just walked in on her cleaning. If not we can go from there...........

Scorpendra

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
my A. purpurea did that after her last molt. i gave her a week since she was my first and favorite T to make sure, and i gave up when nothing changed and she began to stink.

elyanalyous

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
from that picture it doesn't look like a death curl to me... just seems like he/she is hiding under its legs. kinda if i can't see you you cant see me mentality...

stk5m

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Looks like a t cleaning itself{D ***open mouth insert foot***

Redip Spider

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
stretching

I've seen this before, and it scared me too. It's always been directly after a molt, and I think it may be part of the stretching routine they go through.

Transylvania

Gondorian
Old Timer
'kay, thanks everyone. I had a feeling she was okay, but new T-owner paranoia was taking over. :rolleyes:

stk5m

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
when i got my first avic, it did the same thing only in its tube. i panicked until i noticed she was wiping substrait off her toes with her fangs!

Transylvania

Gondorian
Old Timer
I've been getting more and more nervous over the past few hours. I moved her tank into my room and nudged her with a brush, put a drop of water on her, and gently blew on her (which I know you're not supposed to do, but I'm really worried right now). No response whatsoever. Are you guys sure she'll be okay? :(

Scorpendra

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
that's definitely not a good sign. have her fangs blackened?

Transylvania

Gondorian
Old Timer
Sorry if I'm bothering you all, but I seriously need some help asap. She's completely unresponsive and still very fragile from the molt. I'm afraid to lift her because of how delicate she is now, so I covered her up with damp paper towels, hoping to create sort of an ICU, just not in a separate container.
I'm so worried. She's my first and only T and I've been taking such good care of her 'til now. I can't bear the thought of her dying. :(

elyanalyous

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
you may not have wanted to cover her up... i'm not sure but she may suffercate. instead put another waterdish in the tank and cover the top with saran wrap. this will generate the same thing as what you are doing without stifling your t.

secondly she may or may not make it, but it is important not to stress her right now. try not to check on her so often (this will be hard on you)... and remember if she dies (crossing fingers that she won't) you had no control over her demise...:(

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You really need to calm down................. I know this is your first T and it means the world to you but after a molt smithi just flat out dont move alot. They take their time recovering and stretching and sitting and she needs to be disturbed less then you are now. Remove the wet paper towels or whatever you put on her.............. and just leave her be. The fact of the matter is if she is going to die from post molt complications shes going to die there is not much that can be done. But I dont think that is the case here,

Listen closely. Close the lid....... and leave her be for at lease 2 days. Look all you want through the glass and such but leave her ALONE.

I am not meaning to sound mean but you really have to learn a little patience. Everything happens for a reason.....:D

Transylvania

Gondorian
Old Timer
You really need to calm down................. I know this is your first T and it means the world to you but after a molt smithi just flat out dont move alot. They take their time recovering and stretching and sitting and she needs to be disturbed less then you are now. Remove the wet paper towels or whatever you put on her.............. and just leave her be. The fact of the matter is if she is going to die from post molt complications shes going to die there is not much that can be done. But I dont think that is the case here,

Listen closely. Close the lid....... and leave her be for at lease 2 days. Look all you want through the glass and such but leave her ALONE.

I am not meaning to sound mean but you really have to learn a little patience. Everything happens for a reason.....:D
Wow. Okay, I'm sorry. I've just fallen in love with her the past couple months and my stupid insticts kept telling me to check on her again and again. Thanks for the uplifting words though, now I feel like there's some hope. :eek:

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
There is nothing to be sorry about, everyone here loves their Ts. Some more then others lol. But most everyone here gets what you are going though. Just keep in mind that they like as little human interaction as possible. Provide the basics food, hide, water, and best of all her personal alone time after a molt.

Think of it this way, how tired would you be after sheding your lungs and sexual organs and thoat, and entire skin of your body? Thats got to be taxing and the recovery time spent alone is something they need no matter what.

Like I mentioned keep an eye out on her but dont bother her. If more death curl symtoms appear in the next few days then we can take it from there.

Transylvania

Gondorian
Old Timer
Quick update...
It's been about 4 days since she curled and still no movement. I've noticed that her carapace is really shrunken in. What does that mean?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Umm take a picture....... Better yet take a finger and nudge her, see if she responds at all..............

(go figure the one time I voice optimism) :8o :8o