Fake bark

ORO

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Talking from Robc's technique for backgrounds I decided to make my own bark, tired of bringing in bark from outside and even after cooking you get molds eventually, cork bark is too $$$$. I used 1" foam and initially cut the groves with a razor knife then used a dremel with a brush to clean them up and add more texture, took about 1/2hr to make, will make more and get better at the design. I first used peat then finished with a cactus soil mix to fill in the small crevices.

Diggy415

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
SWWEEEEEETTTTTTTTTTT:worship: im going into town today and going to buy me a glue gun so i can get my tanks going for those who are getting bigger, love making the cages. Good job. Now we are going to try to out-do eachother. Pretty soon there will be a national backdrop contest lol

Bird Man

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
How did you get the dirt to stick to the foam stuff? That looks really good.

wedge07

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I doubt it would. Foam doesn't retain moisture and I doubt there is enough dirt on it to retain any either. I can't wait to try this technique! Looks good!

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
wow. that looks really nice, i might have to do one similar now

ORO

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks, it is so easy to work with, the possibilities are endless, I am working on a corner burrow, open sides for viewing.

- silicone spread all over the foam as a glue also water proof
- really its a thin layer of substrate and does not hold moisture for that long

this stuff is cheap and easy to shape, if painted use only a latex paint like Krylon H20 or the foam will melt.

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Congratulation, that looks fabulous!!!!!!!!! :worship: I love it!!!!!!

Endagr8

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Wow, that looks really good. Nice technique! I did one like that a couple weeks ago for a 20 gallon aquarium:

ORO

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Awesome, I will make some more, I am working on some plant pots for a Tree Frog tank, and a burrow for T's

vvx

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I really like the grain in that piece, how did you form the foam?

SCORPIONNOOB

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Those are really cool guys! I better try this as well.... Im runnin out of $$$$$$$$$$$$:D

biomarine2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
That is an awesome idea! If I was to look at it I would never know that it is styrafoam. Unless you told me of course. Awesome job.

Amenagerie

Arachnopeon
I've had no luck finding the foam. Where do you find it?
:wall: It'll probably "hit" me tomorrow where I should be looking and I'm going to feel stupid for posting this. :}

vvx

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Home Depot / Lowes. Comes in 2'x10' if I recall correctly. You can get whatever thickness works, from 0.5" to 2.5" or 3"? It's normally sold as an insulating material

truthsdeceit

Arachnopeon
So cool! I'm a total DYI person... I've only got a G. rosea now but once I talk my bf into another T I'm getting a pinktoe and doing up a enclosure robc style. :D