Fact or faked, giant koi/carp

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Looks like a koi to me.:?
A very fat koi! I've seen very long koi, but they were not even close to being fat like that. And, wouldnt an orange koi fade color in the wild? Old goldfish that were orange tend to become white if they get really old.

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Koi and common carp are the same animal. Cyprinus carpio
I was just about to say that! We got all our colorful koi, lionheads, bubble-eye, etc. all from selective breeding of carp. :)

I would think that the fish in the photo would have been picked off by a predator a long time ago the way it's colored (when it was little and not as strong).

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
+1 on the vivid colors looking a bit suspicious on such a large fish. Don't know anything about photoshopping but seems that color would be one of the easiest things to adjust. In reality it might just be a big brownish or silver fish. Then again, maybe not.

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
haha they released it because it was "beautiful". I like koi but what about all your "beautiful" native fish...

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Koi and common carp are the same animal. Cyprinus carpio
I never knew that until now, learn something new everyday. But which carp species were the koi descendent, there are many carp species. I did learn also that goldfish CAN hybridize with koi or wild carp, but offspring usually is sterile.

GiantVinegaroon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I never knew that until now, learn something new everyday. But which carp species were the koi descendent, there are many carp species. I did learn also that goldfish CAN hybridize with koi or wild carp, but offspring usually is sterile.
Koi are descended from the wild common carp (Cyprinus carpio) lol. I think subspecies of common carp may be involved but I am not certain.

Toirtis

Arachnobaron
I have seen carp that size that were orange, but nowhere that vivid. I have seen koi longer than that, but that body shape is carp-like rather than koi-like (referring to breed/bloodline, as species are arguably identical).

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
That's shopped (poorly).
Look how the guy is sitting in the water, you can't keep your balance like that while holding that!
The shadows on the water don't match the fish.
Look at his hand right under the gills. From how the fish is oriented, the fingers shouldn't be that large compared to his other hand. I'm willing to bet that those fingers are from the original photo!
Also, look how he is holding it. His left hand is so far back that the fish would surely fall forward.
Look where the tail goes in the water. Absolutely little to no ripples. I don't believe that guy can hold that fish that still given it's size and how he is holding it.

Caramell

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
That's shopped (poorly).
Look how the guy is sitting in the water, you can't keep your balance like that while holding that!
The shadows on the water don't match the fish.
Look at his hand right under the gills. From how the fish is oriented, the fingers shouldn't be that large compared to his other hand. I'm willing to bet that those fingers are from the original photo!
Also, look how he is holding it. His left hand is so far back that the fish would surely fall forward.
Look where the tail goes in the water. Absolutely little to no ripples. I don't believe that guy can hold that fish that still given it's size and how he is holding it.
Yes! I'm not the only one! I looked of the reflections in the water, it was very off. The first thing I caught(no pun intended) though, were the fingers on his right hand.

Miss Bianca

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I say it's photo shopped all the way.
Not only does the story not seem realistic, but it doesn't even look like a
fish that weighs 30lbs.
And then to have an amount so exact for a rarity, 30lbs...
Looks like it might weight closer to 40lbs by the picture..
I don't think so.. :embarrassed:

DemonAsh

Arachnosquire
Some of you have obviously never held a 30 pound fish. There are some 'fishy' things about that pic, but the way its being held is not one of them.

Chilobrachys

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Whoever photoshopped the fish, did a poor job at doing so. The proportion of the fish is off scale of the proportion of the man. If you look closely at the picture, then you see the lasso marks left in the fins. And if you have a look at his left arm, and then notice where his left fingers are (under the gills).. you can see that they obviously scaled the fish to a larger size.