Fact-checking Coyote Peterson

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
"You think of a rattlesnake as something you don't want to be bitten by. Well, I've been biten by a giant desert centipede."

Has he ever been bitten by a rattlesnake?

You think centipede bites are bad. Well, I've been stung by a bumblebee. Lmao.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Has he ever been bitten by a rattlesnake?
Point. Obviously he hasn't. At least not one packing a load. Just llike a bee sting X 1000 in intensity. Be mildly surprised if you aren't pissing in your pants as the pain sets in and morphine and local anesthetic doesn't dull it at all. Then there's the bonus. Either the venom or the antivenin is quite likely to cause you to develop a severe allergy to bee and wasp stings and ant bites.

Last edited:

coolnweird

Arachnobaron
Never much liked his form of "naturalism". The way I see it, we as a hobby are generally trying to show people that these critters are relatively harmless. Sure, they've got powerful defense mechanisms, but wouldn't you want that if you were less than foot long? Peterson just goads innocent animals into attacking him and then uses that for views. Thanks for tackling his vids, the world needs people pointing out that he's an idiot

Poonjab

Arachnoking
Coyote Peterson does a lot for raising awareness about animals/inverts etc. I think you’re reading too far deep into the things he says or his theatrics.

Matts inverts

Arachnoangel
I don’t think he has done any research before his vids. My friend got bitten by a diamond back and needed 5 rounds of anti venom and took forever to walk normal, a centipede is definitely not comparable. I don’t get why people watch it. My friends always ship to the end just to watch the bite/ sting to watch but I just don’t get why that’s entertaining.

Mastigoproctus

Centiman
I've done SI with both Rattlers and many species of centipede so here's my 2¢:

Most rattlers have very bad secondary effects that centipedes obviously don't; not because their venom isnt strong enough, it's simply due to venom load and composition difference. A snake, even a baby obviously has a much higher venom load then even a big centipede, so effects are going to be bad regardless. It's just like how people say SA giant venom is weak, it is in comparison to say dehaani but a gigantea can put a lot more venom in you then a typical dehaani so you can have equally as bad or worse effects from a gigantea as you would a dehaani.

With that said, I have experienced greater pain in some cases from centipede envenomations then I did with some of my Crotalus viridis and small atrox bites. The true Indian sapphire from India was as bad pain wise as a baby Crotalus viridis, and a typical atrox hit was matched in pain by the Riau giant(Indonesia/Riau collected specimens, not the Malaysian ones available now as their venom seems weaker), but the snake bites always had worse secondary effects.
Crotalus is dangerous and not as easy to perform SI with, so I've done dosages of snake venom equivalent to what a 5" centipede would inject and the effects are about on par with a pede when injected in that small of amount, swelling is always worse with Crotalus venom, but again pain can actually be greater dosage for dosage in centipede venom.

Anyway, that's just my take on the venom stuff. On the original note, coyote spews BS and is a fear mongering actor, nothing more.

Last edited:

Egon

Arachnosquire
He sucks and is a fear monger. Not sure how constantly goading animals to bite him in sensational videos raises awareness or appreciation.

Mastigoproctus

Centiman
I used to kinda like him, but my opinion of him just keeps going downhill.
If most of the world knew how his centipede video came about and how he blind sided me to get famous off his centipede video even if it hurt or killed the Centipede without my help, they would most certainly think a lot less of him.

I told him I would supply the specimens, help him do It safely and kindly so the centipede didn't get hurt/excessively stressed, I told him the species name and how to do it. I told him all about them and how intelligent they where basically the full brake down someone would need to make an accurate video. He told me he wouldn't do a Centipede video because there was no way it was worse then a bullet ant and basically said I was ignorant for suggesting such a video. Plus, he was extreamly rude and demeaning to me about me using the latin name instead of "Sonoran giant centipede" and bashed me on a public YouTube comment board on his channel about it. When he did finally make a video shortly after his and I's conversation, he was crazy rough to the Centipede, definitely at least caused internal harm of some sort and for sure stressed it as bad as he possible could have. There are ways to softly and safely self envenomate with centipedes and I know these methods like the back of my hand but he wanted the glory, I just wanted to educate people, but those dying to be in the lime lite will do anything to be the one in the full spot light, I'm sure that's why he didn't want me in his video. I was always polite, and he was extremely rude, suggested that the venom wasn't even worth his time so he would NEVER make a centipede video; he was in for a serious surprise there, the pede at least got him realll good.

Someday, if I gain enough followers I'm going to out him publicly for his behavior, call him out for being an actor and harming animals when experienced people offer to help him do it safely; maybe I'll even attempt to get an interview out of him and ask him why he went about things the way he did, and why he demeaned/slandered me only to do the exact video he demeaned me about by himself. It would likely make the most interesting coyote video ever.

Last edited:

mickiem

Arachnoprince
Never much liked his form of "naturalism". The way I see it, we as a hobby are generally trying to show people that these critters are relatively harmless. Sure, they've got powerful defense mechanisms, but wouldn't you want that if you were less than foot long? Peterson just goads innocent animals into attacking him and then uses that for views. Thanks for tackling his vids, the world needs people pointing out that he's an idiot
So much drama! I take animals to schools, etc. to talk about responsible care and keeping. Anyone that watches him will be harder to convince that some of these animals can be safe if handled correctly.

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
If most of the world knew how his centipede video came about and how he blind sided me to get famous off his centipede video even if it hurt or killed the Centipede without my help, they would most certainly think a lot less of him.

I told him I would supply the specimens, help him do safely and kindly so the centipede didn't get hurt/excessively stressed, I told him the species name and how to do it, he put me down for using Latin names, all about them and how intelligent they where basically the full brake down someone would need to make an accurate video. He then told me he wouldn't do a Centipede video because there was no way it was worse then a bullet ant and basically said I was ignorant for suggesting such a video. Plus, he was extreamly rude and demeaning to me about me using the latin name instead of "Sonoran giant centipede" and bashed me on a public YouTube comment bord on his channel about it. When he did finally make a video shortly after his and I's conversation, he was crazy rough to the Centipede, definitely at least caused internal harm of some sort and for sure stressed it as bad as he possible could have. There are ways to softly and safely self envenomate with centipedes and I know these methods like the back of my hand but he wanted the glory, I just wanted to educate people, but those dying to be in the lime lite will do anything to be the one in the full spot light, I'm sure that's why he didn't want me in his video. I was always polite, and he was extremely rude, suggested that the venom wasn't even worth his time so he would NEVER make a centipede video; he was in for a serious surprise there, the pede at least got him realll good.

Someday, if I gain enough followers I'm going to out him publicly for his behavior, call him out for being an actor and harming animals when experienced people offer to help him do it safely; maybe I'll even attempt to get an interview out of him and ask him why he went about things the way he did, and why he demeaned/slandered me only to do the exact video he demeaned me about by himself. It would likely make the most interesting coyote video ever.
Jesus, I had no idea he was that bad. I just thought he was a bit of a drama queen, but if what you say is true, he's a flat-out liar and overall pretty crappy person. Do you have any screenshots of your interactions with him? I really wish I could help you get your word out, but my channel is still pretty small, having just passed 6000 subscribers. I think it's especially noteworthy how he said he didn't think a pede would be worse than a bullet ant, which is very different to what he said in his videos, even before getting bitten.
On the plus side, now that I know he's like that, I don't feel bad at all for the rather snarky nature of my commentary in the video.

Last edited:

Mastigoproctus

Centiman
Jesus, I had no idea he was that bad. I just thought he was a bit of a drama queen, but if what you say is true, he's a flat-out liar and overall pretty crappy person. Do you have any screenshots of your interactions with him? I really wish I could help you get your word out, but my channel is still pretty small, having just passed 6000 subscribers. I think it's especially noteworthy how he said he didn't think a pede would be worse than a bullet ant, which is very different to what he said in his videos, even before getting bitten.
On the plus side, now that I know he's like that, I don't feel bad at all for the rather snarky nature of my commentary in the video.
No, it was years and years ago, I didn't have the foresight for what was going to occur. It might be able to be found if someone looked through old comments on his YouTube, around his snapping turtle days, I think it was a on one of them or a wasp vid of his circa 2014-2015. I've let it go for the most part, but I can't say it doesn't bug me every day. The day he released that video, everyone, I mean everyone sent it to me thinking I'd think it was cool, I was shocked and really upset, even kinda bugged at my friends but they didn't know, no one did and most people still don't; But all and all I can say with confidence, he is a not so upstanding individual from the interactions I've had with him.

Scoliolioli

Arachnopeon
I used to be a huge fan of his, but those bite videos made me unsubscribe. I wasn't a centipede keeper back then and didn't know nearly as much as I do now.

Even back then, something in the way Coyote handled the 'pede felt wrong. He's trying to show how awful and fiendish these little guys are. But the centipede didn't seem like it wanted to attack. It took quite long for it to envenomate. It wasn't interested in attacking, but wanted to leave instead.

Mastigoproctus

Centiman
So this is extremely interesting, he claims he kept the centipede over night, yet it has advanced leg mycosis and "foot rot" which only occurs after being in captivity, too wet for a long time, over a month actually. It never, ever, ever happens in the wild, out of all of the specimens Ive collected over the past decade. I fear he kept that centipede a long time, and the mistreatment it endured is heartbreaking.
Screenshot_20211106-152027.png

Last edited:

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
I didn't notice that, although I do suspect Peterson plants animals before "finding" them. I previously reacted to a video he made on Atrax robustus, where he found an adult female supposedly without any sign of webbing around at all.

mickiem

Arachnoprince
Didn't know you started a YouTube channel! I'll go subscribe right now!