Facepalm worthy tarantula/invert articles from the internet

curtisgiganteus

ArachnoViking, Conqueror of Poikilos and Therion
Old Timer
Where did you get these figures? They sound made up.
There was another thread discussing survival is slings and someone posted a link to an article. The numbers are from memory so most likely a bit off. However, natural selection devours baby spiders in the wild. That’s why spiders produce so many offspring. In captivity there is no predation or resource competition

TechnoGeek

Arachnosquire
Gotta revive this thread. Someone I know wanted to get into Ts and was asking me if this article is any good:

While not exactly the most facepalm worthy care sheet I've come across, it's still pretty bad. For one, they lumped a terrestrial T (pink toe) with 2 terrestrial Ts saying the article should cover all of em.

Mulch-type substrate such as coconut fiber bedding, reptile bark or dampened sphagnum moss. Avoid gravel and artificial turf, which is too harsh for the skin
Almost none of these Ts is hugely moisture dependant and other than occasionally overwhelming the water dish I wouldn't use moss or moist substrate. I heard people lost avic and caribena species from increasing enclosure humidity too much.

Some species may eat thawed frozen pinkie mice
While I'm all for variety and diversity (I do give my Ts the occasional chicken slice), pinkies are the worst vertebrate to feed as they're mostly fat with very little muscle tissue (protein and carbs).

Your tarantula may not drink from a bowl but will rely on moisture on plants
Literally makes no sense.

Feed juveniles daily, adults every other day. Since they are nocturnal, feeding should occur at night
Lol 😂😂

Pink toe tarantulas are one species of tarantula that can sometimes be kept in groups if the habitat is large enough and all are well fed.
Ouch. I mean I haven't tried keeping avics communally, but I've also never heard of anyone keeping them communally so I'm guessing it's a pretty bad idea.

Kada

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
What are the survival rates of crickets in captivity?:anxious:

Ouch. I mean I haven't tried keeping avics communally, but I've also never heard of anyone keeping them communally so I'm guessing it's a pretty bad idea.
I remember distinctly in the 90s, pet stores in western Canada (Or at least Vancouver island and Vancouver) would always say that pink toes can be kept in groups. this may be pre internet tarantula forums, I am not sure. But it was "common knowledge" at that time and region that pink toes were the species of tarantula to be kept together haha. Hindsight is always 20/20!

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
What are the survival rates of crickets in captivity?:anxious:

I remember distinctly in the 90s, pet stores in western Canada (Or at least Vancouver island and Vancouver) would always say that pink toes can be kept in groups. this may be pre internet tarantula forums, I am not sure. But it was "common knowledge" at that time and region that pink toes were the species of tarantula to be kept together haha. Hindsight is always 20/20!
Low enough if I do get crickets I feed them all off asap . Roaches are the preferred food but my colony’s too small to be fed off yet . So superworms are what I’ve been using lately .

I recal a pet store employee who kept Ts once telling me you could get lots of pink toes and house them in a massive tank communally . Ofc it’s not something I’d ever consider trying .. I’ve never kept any communally .
I recall reading about lasiodora getting 9-10” + I’ve yet to have one close to that. Biggest was probably 7”-8 and it was a male rip. Scott’s tarantulas stated they got 10-12”..

TechnoGeek

Arachnosquire
It really depends on how you keep them and the species of cricket.....banded crickets are as hardy and hard to kill as dubia.

ahhh, that was just a lie.

The Simpsons - Homer, the sanitation commissioner - YouTube
Agreed, banded crickets last much longer for me. But they don't get as big as house crickets for some reason. That said I hate keeping crickets long term anyway cause they're noisy and smell bad. I buy as much as I'll feed in 24 to 72 hours. The thing is, it's just hard to do without crickets.. they don't dig and disappear in the substrate, they're always on the move, and they're cheap.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
It really depends on how you keep them and the species of cricket.....banded crickets are as hardy and hard to kill as dubia.

ahhh, that was just a lie.

The Simpsons - Homer, the sanitation commissioner - YouTube
I used to be able to keep them alive , I just quit buying them because they never carry the large ones . Is it bad to feed Ts superworms for an extended period of time ? Not sure how long til my roaches are plentiful enough to feed any off .
I may just have to buy more roaches dubia seem to grow awful slow , and I never seem to get 50 supers like the pet store charges for I should count them next time.

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
. Is it bad to feed Ts superworms for an extended period of time ?
no....honestly they're my favorite feeder, I just dont get them much anymore.,,,but all my vent holes are drilled out, so a super fits right through and the ts just grab them as i hold them there.

TechnoGeek

Arachnosquire
I used to be able to keep them alive , I just quit buying them because they never carry the large ones . Is it bad to feed Ts superworms for an extended period of time ? Not sure how long til my roaches are plentiful enough to feed any off .
I may just have to buy more roaches dubia seem to grow awful slow , and I never seem to get 50 supers like the pet store charges for I should count them next time.
Is your dubia roach colony kept at 85F or so? Cause they grow slower and are much less fecund at room temperature (68 to 73F).

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Is your dubia roach colony kept at 85F or so? Cause they grow slower and are much less fecund at room temperature (68 to 73F).
In got them a heat mat hooked back up but they were breeding room temp for years then stopped . I didn’t catch on quick enough…
I’ll need a bigger mat or something else once numbers are up. I’d say I have 20-30 not counting nymphs which just got some finally . My mom killed half my colony Put them outside in the rain when I wasn’t home for a week, or I’d have 70+ adults. All over 1 escape !