Eyes Mutations. Sharing experiences.

Arachnid Addicted

Arachnoprince
So, a few weeks ago I pulled an A. avicularia eggsac.

Until now, three individuals turned into nymphs, 2nd stage.

I took a picture of one of them and realized it doesn't have its eyes (pics below).

Now, I know there other examples of eyeless tarantulas in the hobby, I just never had the opportunity to see one in person, and now I have the opportunity to see how it will develop, in case it turns into sling.

So, you guys ever seen these eyeless individuals, or even other mutations? Share your experiences. :)

Here's the picture:
1600454106803__MG_7004.JPG

rusted180

Arachnosquire
hmmmm.... i wonder what itll be like to raise blind spider... i know their vision isnt so great... but... anyone here has any experience?

Arachnid Addicted

Arachnoprince
hmmmm.... i wonder what itll be like to raise blind spider... i know their vision isnt so great... but... anyone here has any experience?
What I know is that they have a "sense" of photoperiod, meaning light and dark. But I've never kept a spider without eyes before so, it will be a new experience for me.

Jess S

Arachnobaron
It'll be interesting to see if it seems worse off for having no eyes, or whether, as they have such poor vision anyway and sense most movements with their hairs, those other senses will become heightened.

There is a cave tarantula with no eyes that's adapted to that environment, though I'm not sure of the species name.

Frogdaddy

Arachnoprince
Wow. I didn't see this coming.

I hope it survives just to see if it can function normally.

DaveM

ArachnoOneCanReach
Old Timer
There was an article in the BTS journal about an L. parahybana without eyes: Zinov, T. (2013). Anomalies of visual organs amongst tarantulas: absence of eyes in Lasiodora parahybana. Journal of the British Tarantula Society 28: 117-120.

The spider grew and developed normally.

I think you're very lucky to have such an anomaly in your possession. Enjoy!

lazarus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Could inbreeding be a cause? I know this is a common side effect in reptiles.

Arachnid Addicted

Arachnoprince
Lets try the multi-quote thing. Lol.

It'll be interesting to see if it seems worse off for having no eye
Yes, thats why I want it to evolve. But I had bad experiences with Avicularia avicularia larvae before. That's why I'm worried.

There is a cave tarantula
I honestly don't know this species. Are they all eyeless? Or some of them have eyes, and others don't?

it can function normally.
😂 hahahah. I'm cheering for this too.

I've never seen something like this before. Very interesting!
The spider grew and developed normally.
Answering you both, I know there are a few eyeless individuals, one species I can remember from memory is an adult female E. murinus. There are others I've seen, though. But I don't remember their species.

So, theoretically, they develop well. But as I said above, I had a bad experience with A. avicularia in the past. Lets wait and see.

Could inbreeding be a cause?
In this case, I can tell you for sure it wasnt inbreeding. However, I don't know if inbreeding can cause these mutations, but I believe it's possible.

Jess S

Arachnobaron
You're like a pro with the multi quote!

I don't know a lot about the Mexican cave tarantula but I believe the species itself has lost the ability to develop eyes . I'm sharing the links where I learned about it. It's mentioned in the last couple of paragraphs on this page on Rick West's site

There is also a dated documentary showing Rick West in the caves discovering them. It also shows him looking for Gbb's in the wild, T vagans in Florida and lots of other things in between. What a spider hunter he is!

Marlana

Arachnoknight
So fascinating! I hope it thrives. Would be so cool to see. Keep us updated.

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
I have read of experiments in which spiders were intentionally blinded and still functioned fine, to include snagging flying prey out of the air. That spood would be a definite keeper if I were you. I think it’s awesome, but I’ve always had a soft spot for “special” critters.

Arachnid Addicted

Arachnoprince
So fascinating! I hope it thrives. Would be so cool to see. Keep us updated.
I'm looking them almost everyday now, since I'm still in quarantine, I have more time. Haha.
I'll keep updating this thread.

That spood would be a definite keeper if I were you.
I really want it to evolve to sling, and of course, get old and die only 15yrs from now. Hahaha. Let's se if it will thrive.

And yes, my inicial idea is to breed it in case it gets to adulthood, and make a little experience myself.

Last edited by a moderator:

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Someone on here had a an eyeless G. pulchripes, which functioned completely fine. They don’t really need eyes in captivity.

Edit: found it.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Not worried about it surviving- a dinosaur could walk by and they’d never see it.

Arachnid Addicted

Arachnoprince
Someone on here had a an eyeless G. pulchripes, which functioned completely fine. They don’t really need eyes in captivity.

Edit: found it.
Awesome. I remember seen an E. murinus without eyes too.