Extreme Difficulty Shedding

JenniferKatherine

Arachnopeon
I thought one of my slings was DOA. It turns out it's having a very difficult time shedding. This has been going on for days and I don't know how long shedding normally takes. I'm attaching pictures; the sling has looked the same since I received it. Can I do anything for it?

(It began shedding during shipment, so I think it just didn't have the room to "undress".)

Attachments

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
I dont think there is much you can do for it now. I would contact whoever you purchased it from and inform them. They may be willing to send a replacement or refund as it is not your fault.

JenniferKatherine

Arachnopeon
Thanks. They already refunded for it. I just discovered today that it's still alive. It's moving, quite a bit, actually. So it'll definitely die? There's nothing I can do?

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
If it is still alive then place it into its microclimate and put it somewhere dark or cover the cage. If it makes it, then it makes it.

Gotta leave it be and let nature take its course

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It's unlikely that it will survive. While there is no scientific data to suggest the following advice it certainly won't hurt. I would place the T in a small container w/lid and a few holes made by a push-pin. On the bottom I would place some slightly damp paper towels and a water dish as well (use a 16 oz water bottle cap/s).

You really only need a few holes, they don't respire that much, esp at that size.

Looks like a Pink Toe or a GBB to me. Regardless of species let nature take its course. Handling it as you have done has not helped, so don't move it around. Place the T on its back and see what happens.

Slings generally take 30 min- a few hours at most to molt.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
If I didn't know better, I would have thought you were holding a moult. Hope it pulls through, but I don't see that happening, I'm sorry to say. Like Tox said, that exo had got to be hardened at this point. :(

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
I thought it was a GBB thats why I was asking.

As it is a GBB I would highly advise against ICUs. High humidity will kill them easily, sling to adult.

It seems it is too late for this one anyway :(

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Sadly the outcome for that sling is pretty grim. You were handling it in the pictures which does not help but even aside from that it looks grim. As others have said all you can really do is leave it alone and let nature take its course. Even though that course is not really favorable to the average hobbyist.

JenniferKatherine

Arachnopeon
It's still alive. Still stuck. What are the chances it could possibly survive until the next molt and rid itself of the problem molt? Or do you guys think it's permanently stuck? I feel bad; the little guy really has a will to live.

What are ICUs?

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
It's still alive. Still stuck. What are the chances it could possibly survive until the next molt and rid itself of the problem molt? Or do you guys think it's permanently stuck? I feel bad; the little guy really has a will to live.

What are ICUs?
I cant see it lasting very long. It will not make it to next moult.

An ICU is a tub with damp paper towel and few holes for ventilation causing high humidity. Put it in a warmer and dark place of your home. I Am still against it with GBBs as they are an arid species and high humidity is bad for them. But at this stage in time you might aswel give it a shot. If there is the slightest chance it may help then you should.

I remain sceptical though. I have only heard of one specimen that was put in ICU that has pulled through.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
@KezyGLA is it possible that the wet paper towels in transit could have led to a wet molt for the sling?
If they were wet instead of slightly damp it could be a possibility. Slings tend to need more moisture when being shipped. Too much is dangerous though.

REEFSPIDER

Arachnobaron
Yeah I'm scratching my head on this one. I agree with what you said about the ICU, personally never having used one and generally agreeing with them being more negative than positive, but in a time like this it's like why not try it as a last resort fix.

Sana

Arachnoprince
I'm with @viper69 on the ICU. That old exo is hardening so the damp (not soaked) paper towel might keep the exo soft enough for long enough for it to get free. I don't really think that ICU will make things worse at this point even though they aren't generally recommended to use with GBBs. That little one is so small that it would need more humidity then it's adult counterpart anyway. On a note, I don't believe that a wet molt is actually caused by a wet environment. I believe that the term refers to an exo that didn't form and harden properly.