Extreme difficulty in feeding OBT

HybridOne890

Arachnopeon
Hello all,
I come to you guys once again for some of the ever efficient, wise advice that you guys always provide. Here's the issue:

I have this OBT, I'm pretty sure she's almost MF if not one already. She seldom eats and has refused a lot of the meals I give her. It was been over 2 maybe even 3 months since she last ate. I know this is probably the "tarantulas doing tarantula things" scenario and that she's probably fine without the food since she has refused it so much. However, considering the last time she ate, I thought today may be time to attempt a feeding once again.

There is one very pressing issue tho... She's made her den connected to the sliding door on her enclosure... Ive been able maintain and put pre-kills in her webbing before (since otherwise roaches will just bury themselves in there and she doesn't really go after them...) but she has recently webbed so close to the top that I can't open it without risking her making a run for it and doing what she does best; biting whatever she grabs D:.

I know some of you will ask if I'm sure if she's a female, and the answer to that is that I was told by a breeder that she was. I will post a pic of her underside so you can be the judge.

Her abdomen seems fine, does not seem to be withering away or anything of the sort. Below are pictures of her den and you will see my predicament...

So Arachnoboards, I ask for your wise advice, since she's anchored her webbing to the sliding part of her enclosure, and it is so close to the opening, thus putting me in a risky situation, how can I attempt to "fix" this? How can I try to feed her now? Will she continue to be OK if I just don't feed her?

Thanks in advance!
- A concerned parent

PS.

Yes, I know her top is a metal wire mesh and that risks her little tarsi getting stuck and losing legs, but I can't afford another enclosure or cover /don't really know my options other than that. T^T 20160919_204749.jpg 20160919_204811.jpg 20160919_204849.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

symbol

Arachnopeon
So, this may be a stupid question but... since the top apparently slides, couldn't you just slide it open only 5-6mm? Wide enough to drop a cricked/roach/worm in, but not wide enough for her to get out?

Also, as far as the screen goes... I would think it would be relatively inexpensive and effective to simply cut a piece of acrylic to fit the top of the enclosure. Drill some holes for ventilation, add a feeding hatch or two, and do away with the screen lid altogether. Just a thought...

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Can you make something like the picture below?
The slot sould be just big enough for the food/tongs to fit. It should probably span the whole cage.
PicsArt_09-19-09.52.34.jpg
I've heard people use these for venomous snakes sometimes. @viper69 are these an actual tool people use? Do you know if there is an official name for this?

Just to add, this is really just a fix for a symptom. A more permanent fix would probably be a different enclosure type/better setup .

Last edited:

DeanK

Arachnosquire
It could use a lot more substrate. OBTs are burrowers but they will web when there isn't enough sub. If given the room to burrow it will spend most of it's time underground and feeding will become somewhat easier.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
You can use a sterilite tub as an enclosure and vent the holes yourself. You need a much larger enclosure, and deeper sub.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
You can use a sterilite tub as an enclosure and vent the holes yourself. You need a much larger enclosure, and deeper sub.
This.

OBTs love webbing and most of the time will do as high as they can go.
The only way to ensure they wont is to give proper husbandry needs.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
That OBT is unhappy with it's substrate..

I noticed what looks like water spots on the glass are you misting the enclosure?

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
agreed, that cage is way too tiny.

OP, you'd have a problem even if the spider didnt web near the top, that whole cage is like a jack in a box.

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
The cage is fine, I seriously doubt its the reason for the spider refusing food. When was her last molt? Was she paired?

Jeff23

Arachnolord
^ This. A clear plastic tub doesn't cost much. You can create holes in it for ventilation. The T will be happier. You will be safer.

The tank is definitely too small. If you are going to treat it like a burrowing T you need a lot more substrate depth. If you are going to keep it as an arboreal arrangement the T needs a lot more space to move and a way to at least partially hide from bright lights, etc.. It is hard to tell the dimensions of what you have but it looks like the T's length is almost as wide as the width of the tank.

Matabuey

Arachnosquire
The slot sould be just big enough for the food/tongs to fit. It should probably span the whole cage.
View attachment 220832
I've heard people use these for venomous snakes sometimes. @viper69 are these an actual tool people use? Do you know if there is an official name for this?

Just to add, this is really just a fix for a symptom. A more permanent fix would probably be a different enclosure type/better setup .
Viperkeeper uses something like that.

I have never, nor have i seen anyone else use something like that. Not to say it wouldn't work though.

Misty Day

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Besides the extremely small cage and lack of substrate, could she be in premolt? I've never owned an OBT but I've heard they're great eaters.

DeanK

Arachnosquire
Besides the extremely small cage and lack of substrate, could she be in premolt? I've never owned an OBT but I've heard they're great eaters.
She's not refusing food, just that she has webbed close to the opening and OP is afraid to open the lid to feed the T in case it bolts

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Will she continue to be OK if I just don't feed her?
She will die if you don't feed her at some point. Not sure what you are asking.

Your T should be in something larger. As you are concerned about costs, get Sterilite. You get the most volume for your dollar w/that product. If you have to see your T, then glass is the cheapest after Sterilite typically.

If you can afford prey items, you should be able to afford a piece of acrylic to slide in there instead of screen, I would think. At least acrylic by me isn't that expensive for a small sheet.

View attachment 220832

I've not used that, nor do I know how to. However, @borotasinisa has come up with a way to use something like that with Ts, He's been busy with a bunch of stuff, but promised to make a video to show people how he uses a Uplex tool of sorts.

Last edited:

Misty Day

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
She's not refusing food, just that she has webbed close to the opening and OP is afraid to open the lid to feed the T in case it bolts
Ah right, probably should've read it more clearly.

Thistles

Arachnobroad
Old Timer
Bite the bullet and tangle with her to redo her enclosure. Take the whole thing to a safe space, then get her into a catch cup. Pack down the substrate well so that it holds its form when she burrows and give her a few more inches and a starter burrow.

You have some nice web anchors, which are pairing with the substrate to encourage her to web instead of dig. I'd take them out just until she gets established in her new burrow.

The cage looks big enough but the substrate should be about 2/3 of it instead if the 1/3 it looks to be right now.

Well done asking for help instead of waiting for an escape!

HybridOne890

Arachnopeon
So, this may be a stupid question but... since the top apparently slides, couldn't you just slide it open only 5-6mm? Wide enough to drop a cricked/roach/worm in, but not wide enough for her to get out?

Also, as far as the screen goes... I would think it would be relatively inexpensive and effective to simply cut a piece of acrylic to fit the top of the enclosure. Drill some holes for ventilation, add a feeding hatch or two, and do away with the screen lid altogether. Just a thought...
Like I mentioned, roaches will just bury, crickets will actively avoid the web and she won't go after them

HybridOne890

Arachnopeon
That OBT is unhappy with it's substrate..

I noticed what looks like water spots on the glass are you misting the enclosure?
Negative, those are on the outside, I keep her enclosure bone dry. How much substate do you suggest? She's about 5"

symbol

Arachnopeon
Like I mentioned, roaches will just bury, crickets will actively avoid the web and she won't go after them
So, crush the roach's head before you drop it in then. It should keep kicking for a good long while even without a head.