Extraction method for handling

Lost_Tarantula

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Joined
Oct 15, 2002
Messages
99
I've been wondering. For those of you out there who handle your T's (Joy, you better show up here ;) ), how do you get it out of it's cage? I have qualms with just sticking my hand on the floor of its cage....I also get mixed results when I nudge it from behind. Sometimes it doesn't move; sometimes it runs like all hell broke loose. So, back to the question: How do you get your T's out for handling?

Thanks for any help you give.

-LT
 

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Joined
Nov 3, 2002
Messages
2,117
I don't follow this exactly, but the general consensus for terrestrial tarantulas, is that their substrate should be filled high enough in the vivarium, that the remaining spaces is apromimately equal to the size of the tarantula streched out. That way, when it decides that it wants to be an arborial for a day, it doesn't fall and hurt itself. So if you followed that guideline, then you should be able to easily coax your tarantula out of its vivarium.

Big Dragonfly
 

Lost_Tarantula

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Joined
Oct 15, 2002
Messages
99
Originally posted by Big Dragonfly
I don't follow this exactly, but the general consensus for terrestrial tarantulas, is that their substrate should be filled high enough in the vivarium, that the remaining spaces is apromimately equal to the size of the tarantula streched out. That way, when it decides that it wants to be an arborial for a day, it doesn't fall and hurt itself. So if you followed that guideline, then you should be able to easily coax your tarantula out of its vivarium.

Big Dragonfly
By the same token, if it is spooked as I mentioned, and it bolts out of the cage, it will fall the length of the entire vivarium and possibly more if the vivarium was on a table or shelf. My viviarium is glass, and I don't have problems with it falling. It can't climb the walls. It can, however, climb in the corner, but over time it slides back down if it doesn't go down on its own volition. So in answering the question, assume it cannot be coaxed out of the vivarium. Any suggestions?
 

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
Joined
Jul 17, 2002
Messages
1,253
Pretty simple for me (depending on the spider). Most, I'll put my hand in front of them and gently nudge them from behind. If they don't walk on, I gently push them.

For the agressive ones, I use a 12" pair of forceps to nudge them into another container. Some of them kick hairs the whole way (my T. blondi for example). Others almost run into the container and back out again (my H. maculata). Those are the ones to be super-careful with.

For spiderlings, I scoot a hand under their front, while nudging lightly from behind. They're *REALLY* fragile, so be careful with them. You also can't feel where they're moving to as easily, so be careful not to drop them.

-Bryan
 

dilleo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Joined
Sep 26, 2002
Messages
111
You can always put some insect slip on the walls of the tank to keep them from climbing. I don't do it just because it's not worth my time, but it's a solution to some of those problems.

-Jeremy
 

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
Joined
Oct 12, 2002
Messages
903
Originally posted by Lost_Tarantula
By the same token, if it is spooked as I mentioned, and it bolts out of the cage, it will fall the length of the entire vivarium and possibly more if the vivarium was on a table or shelf. My viviarium is glass, and I don't have problems with it falling. It can't climb the walls. It can, however, climb in the corner, but over time it slides back down if it doesn't go down on its own volition. So in answering the question, assume it cannot be coaxed out of the vivarium. Any suggestions?
If it's on a table or shelf, I'd first place it on a carpeted floor. Normally I wouldn't handle a spider that acted spooked, unless it had been injured and I needed to treat its injuries. How I would approach the spider in normal situations depends on the circumstances. If I can coax it to walk onto my hand using a paintbrush or wooden spoon, I do that; if it won't move, I will just pick it up (gently, with fingers on either side of carapce) or slide a hand under it and pick it up from underneath. It's hard to give a general rule, as different specimens require different treatment. When you've interacted with them for a while, you get a better idea of how they will react to a given stimulus.

Joy
 

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Joined
Nov 3, 2002
Messages
2,117
Hey, is that an A. metallica s'ling I see?

Oh, and I have an A. geniculata that used to just love climbing glass. I started off with a rose hair that also liked to climb glass.

Big Dragonfly
 

Lost_Tarantula

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Joined
Oct 15, 2002
Messages
99
Originally posted by Joy
If it's on a table or shelf, I'd first place it on a carpeted floor. Normally I wouldn't handle a spider that acted spooked, unless it had been injured and I needed to treat its injuries. How I would approach the spider in normal situations depends on the circumstances. If I can coax it to walk onto my hand using a paintbrush or wooden spoon, I do that; if it won't move, I will just pick it up (gently, with fingers on either side of carapce) or slide a hand under it and pick it up from underneath. It's hard to give a general rule, as different specimens require different treatment. When you've interacted with them for a while, you get a better idea of how they will react to a given stimulus.

Joy
Do you mean pick it up between the second and third legs? I thought that would just make it mad. :)

Joy...how many times have you been bitten? :?
 

looseyfur

Arachnofur
Old Timer
Joined
Nov 10, 2002
Messages
431
joy

you must not know of Joy...
She speaks Tarantula....
shes the tarantula whisperer...

looseyfur...
 

Tranz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Joined
Sep 18, 2002
Messages
320
I've had an idea, but I'm not sure if it will really work. It requires enough space in the vivarium with a relatively flat surface. Get a small see-through plastic cup and thin but sturdy sheet of cardboard cut to a little larger than the diameter of the cup's bottom.

When the spider is in the "area", and seems calm, slowly place the cup over the spider. Slowly slide the cardboard under the cup . Then, with left hand on top of the cup, and right hand securing the cardboard against the cup from underneath, left it up out of the vivarium.

Sit on a carpetted floor or lean over a towelled bathtub. Raise it up near your chin and gently remove your left hand from the top of the cup, letting your chin replace its pressure against the cup.

Move your free left hand down and place it against a soft surface, palm-up. Lower your chin, the cup below it, and cardboard piece below it (on which rests the spider), and your right hand supporting these, onto your left hand, freeing your right hand.
With your right hand, gently slide the cardboard away, letting the spider rest in the palm of your hand.

Then, put your right hand on top of the cup, moving your chin to its normal position.

Slowly raise the cup with your right hand. You are left with the spider resting in your left hand. With a skittish spider, pause during steps to let it get used to its position.

I've never done this, or even handled my little spider - but do you think it would work? Is there a flaw in the method?
 

Lost_Tarantula

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Joined
Oct 15, 2002
Messages
99
Originally posted by Tranz
Is there a flaw in the method?
Yes. If there is one thing I learned, it's to never balance things with one hand and a chin. Especially while leaning (over a bathtub, in this case). I recently attempted to carry my vivarium and three deli containers stacked together under my chin, and close the car trunk with the other hand. Needless to say, there was an accident. The top cup fell about 5 1/2 feet. Luckily, there was nice soft peat moss and a lot of empty space in the container, so after digging him up, my sling seemed unharmed. So, I recommend not holding something with one hand and a chin. Two hands....maybe. One...never. Maybe I'm just clumsy. It'll probably work out for you guys. Sorry for the long post. If you've read up to here, I applaud you for your patience. :8o

Good luck with the idea, though. I've you've got balance, I think it has great potential.
 

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
Joined
Oct 12, 2002
Messages
903
Originally posted by Lost_Tarantula
Do you mean pick it up between the second and third legs? I thought that would just make it mad. :)

Joy...how many times have you been bitten? :?
I expect such handling might make some tarantulas mad, but it doesn't bother others at all. In fact, I've found there's really no other way to pick up some of my more stubbornly sedentary spiders, i.e. B. smithi, E. campestratus. I could sit there all day and stroke their behinds with a paintbrush and they wouldn't budge an inch =D

Regarding being bitten, I have not yet been bitten at all, knock on wood :)

Joy
 

Lost_Tarantula

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Joined
Oct 15, 2002
Messages
99
Originally posted by Joy

Regarding being bitten, I have not yet been bitten at all, knock on wood :)

Joy
Dear lord! You truly are an inspiration. I'm probably going to have to suffer through a bite, then learn the hard way that I am allergic...then lay on the floor and die. But hey....if you do what you do, and STILL not get bit....maybe there is hope for me yet. :D

Thanks for all the help.
 
Top