Extatosoma Tiaratum Pinning/Preserving

rosscleland

Arachnopeon
Hello! Sadly I lost one of my Giant Spiny Leaf Insect females today. I want to preserve her but I'm struggling to find info. on preserving phasmids. I've pinned her into position and left her to dry but I feel like I should be doing extra steps with this species? They're so delicate and papery that I'm worried it'll just crumble into dust when it dries. Does anyone have experience of preserving leaf insects here? Advice would be appreciated :)

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Hey Sorry for your loss! im a experienced pinner and have pinned phasmids a lot over the years, with E. tiaratum the colors may fade or darked to a duller brown with exception in the lichen expressed forms, and the insect will undoubtebly become more fragile. Many Phasmids in my experience become the most fragile out of other invertebrates when dry. Be careful with the legs when dry they are the easist thing to break off after dried. There's really no other steps with preserving Phasmids, just pinning and drying, you are on the right track, but its inherently a very delicate process, espcially with a lot of Phasmids. What advice are you looking for in particular.
Feel free to post any pictures or send me a PM for any pinning related questions, advice or help, ill help you out in anyway I can! Have fun, pinning can become very enjoyable process!

Last edited:

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
The faster it dries the better the chance that some color will be preserved. I've learned that with pinning Orthoptera.

rosscleland

Arachnopeon
Hey Sorry for your loss! im a experienced pinner and have pinned phasmids a lot over the years, with E. tiaratum the colors may fade or darked to a duller brown with exception in the lichen expressed forms, and the insect will undoubtebly become more fragile. Many Phasmids in my experience become the most fragile out of other invertebrates when dry. Be careful with the legs when dry they are the easist thing to break off after dried. There's really no other steps with preserving Phasmids, just pinning and drying, you are on the right track, but its inherently a very delicate process, espcially with a lot of Phasmids. What advice are you looking for in particular.
Feel free to post any pictures or send me a PM for any pinning related questions, advice or help, ill help you out in anyway I can! Have fun, pinning can become very enjoyable process!
Thanks this is really helpful! Sounds like I've done the right thing. I was just worried that I had missed something and it was going to rot or fall apart or something :/