Exporting/Importing Centipedes

Nicholas Rothstein

Arachnoknight
Finally some useful information

"Good Morning Mr. Rothstein,

My name is Chris Kishimoto and I work for the Hawaii Department of Agriculture’s Plant Quarantine Branch. The Plant Quarantine Branch regulates the imports of live plants, animals, and microorganisms into the state of Hawaii.

Thank you for inquring with us about your interest in importing and trading centipedes. We appreciate your forethought and taking the time to research and ask about this before placing any orders.

Unfortunately, you will not be allowed to import any centipedes (or scorpions and most other arthropods) into Hawaii.

Centipedes do not appear on any of the Department Agriculture’s lists of organisms allowed for import into Hawaii. Organisms that are not on the lists are considered prohibited from entering the State (Chapter 150A-6.2 (3)(c), Hawaii Revised Statutes and Chapter 4-71-6(a), Hawaii Administrative Rules). Likewise, organisms like centipedes would also not be allowed to be transported between the islands of Hawaii.

In Hawaii, centipedes are considered a nuisance pest with potential negative impacts to animal and public health, as well as negatively impacting native arthropod species.

Any shipments of centipedes imported into Hawaii will be confiscated or sent back to their place of origin at the importer’s expense. The importer would also risk legal penalties including fines and/or possible jail time.

If you want to export centipedes, it would be a good idea to contact the Department of Land and Natural Resouces to see if they have any restrictions for exporting centipedes from Hawaii. You should also contact the Department of Agriculture in the state you are planning on shipping to in order to see if they would allow the centipede into their state and what requirements they may have.

Thanks again for inquiring with us ahead of time and if you have any questions, please feel free to contact me anytime.

Have a nice day.

Sincerely,

Christopher Kishimoto

Hawaii Department of Agriculture

Plant Quarntine Branch"

Looks like DLNR it is :)

Nicholas Rothstein

Arachnoknight
Well I called asking about velvet worms (no) and the exemption permit for things not on the list. I saved a few hundred because they told me they almost never allow anything. Especially invertebrates.

I have still yet to figure out exports.

Ah just all the more reason go apply for college in the U.S. mainland ;)

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
Hawaii and Australia - two places you don't want to live if like keeping inverts - non-native ones anyway. As far as I'm concerned, the mainland US is too restrictive for me.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Forgot New Zealand, ha ha.
And yeah, the US definitely does have a lot of pointless restrictions on non-dangerous species (like millipedes and some beetles). That said, there are some species that are worth protecting against, like some phasmids and the famous/infamous Achatina sp. As much as I want to keep a Giant African Land Snail, I can understand the restrictions placed on them in the US for the time being.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
The problem is is that once it's in the US, especially in the hands of private breeders, it is really difficult to control the captive populations. I'm thinking about the threads just on here advertising less-than-legal species shipped to anywhere in the Lower 48. Imagine if someone got GALS and was breeding them, and then offered to ship them to anywhere in the US no questions asked.
That said, I wish there was a control system where private hobbyists would be able to apply for a permit, get certified or something, and then be able to keep some on the express conditions not to distribute them to anyone without a permit.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
The problem is is that once it's in the US, especially in the hands of private breeders, it is really difficult to control the captive populations. I'm thinking about the threads just on here advertising less-than-legal species shipped to anywhere in the Lower 48. Imagine if someone got GALS and was breeding them, and then offered to ship them to anywhere in the US no questions asked.
That said, I wish there was a control system where private hobbyists would be able to apply for a permit, get certified or something, and then be able to keep some on the express conditions not to distribute them to anyone without a permit.

Thanks,

Arthroverts
I do get your point and considered it myself but I was going off the fact certain southern states make the keeping of roaches illegal while in Ohio I can get any roach I want. I don't see how GALS, tropical beetles, and phasmids are a worse invasive threat than roaches.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Specifically with GALS, they are known to reproduce wildly fast and feed upon nearly every plant they can find (as well as loads of trash and other detritus) thus destroying local flora. They also outcompete local fauna to extinction, not to mention they can carry disease. It's happened in Hawaii and Florida (in FL eradication has cost millions of dollars) and badly messed up their ecosystems/agriculture, so the government is trying to protect other states from having the same problem.

As for phasmids and beetles, one of the worries is that they will prey upon agriculturally important plants, although in most cases a blanket ban is not warranted.

Don't get me wrong I would love to see all of the above (except maybe GALS) deregulated in some form however, as a complete ban is not warranted.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
Specifically with GALS, they are known to reproduce wildly fast and feed upon nearly every plant they can find (as well as loads of trash and other detritus) thus destroying local flora. They also outcompete local fauna to extinction, not to mention they can carry disease. It's happened in Hawaii and Florida (in FL eradication has cost millions of dollars) and badly messed up their ecosystems/agriculture, so the government is trying to protect other states from having the same problem.

As for phasmids and beetles, one of the worries is that they will prey upon agriculturally important plants, although in most cases a blanket ban is not warranted.

Don't get me wrong I would love to see all of the above (except maybe GALS) deregulated in some form however, as a complete ban is not warranted.

Thanks,

Arthroverts
I get it and think that maybe making it a felony to ship these inverts to warm weather states where they could survive might be a acceptable compromise. I also know as far as Ohio and other northern states go you could release as many tropical species (including GALS) as you want because they won't survive the winter.

Nicholas Rothstein

Arachnoknight

Thanks,

Arthroverts
I get it and think that maybe making it a felony to ship these inverts to warm weather states where they could survive might be a acceptable compromise. I also know as far as Ohio and other northern states go you could release as many tropical species (including GALS) as you want because they won't survive the winter.
Arthroverts is right. GALS have caused tons of damage, literally millions of USD and priceless flora and fauna. I'm not sure if both of you are aware but look up Hawaiian Tree Snail or Achatinella. Our native and beautiful snail was devastated by GALS and rosy wolf snails.

I am no longer looking to export or import things. It is too much money and with long wait periods, I can not tolerate it. I wouldn't make money selling things from here legally (the only way I would sell things) and I can not trade for animals I want
:( It was about $100 for a year-long permit and every shipment needed to be inspected for $20-50. Unless I was wholesaling it would be very hard to make a return. The whole point of this venture was to obtain beautiful animals. Oh, and I am not sure they would survive the trip. With the stress of inspection (possibly two depending on the species) and flight they would be in bad shape, I would not want to put an animal through that.

NYAN

Arachnoking
:( It was about $100 for a year-long permit and every shipment needed to be inspected for $20-50.
For inspection that’s a great price.

Oh, and I am not sure they would survive the trip. With the stress of inspection (possibly two depending on the species) and flight they would be in bad shape, I would not want to put an animal through that.
If you’re doing air cargo there’s not much of an issue. I don’t know what happens in inspection, but the animals seem to do fine.

Overall, importing/exporting is very expensive. You are best to avoid it unless you’re bringing in hundreds of animals that you can make money on.

Nicholas Rothstein

Arachnoknight
For inspection that’s a great price.

If you’re doing air cargo there’s not much of an issue. I don’t know what happens in inspection, but the animals seem to do fine.

Overall, importing/exporting is very expensive. You are best to avoid it unless you’re bringing in hundreds of animals that you can make money on.
I should've been more specific. The inspection could be for either the whole shipment or per animal. 20-50 per animal seemed like a lot to me. I don't know the difference between the two... the guy was pretty rude and basically said don't ship this stuff because we don't wanna have more work.