Exporting/Importing Centipedes

Nicholas Rothstein

Arachnoknight
Hi everyone,

I have recently become interested in importing/exporting Centipedes (and velvet worms when I have the time). I live in Hawaii, one of the most restricted states in the U.S. Does anyone know how I could go about finding information on importing/exporting tules and regulations? The info online is quite vague and hard to understand.

I would love to trade with people. I have found quite a few different morphs of S. morsitans and S. scolopendra here.

Thank you,
Nick R.

I have emailed the Hawaii dept. of Ag. Hopefully, I get a response soon. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Using the usps priority or flat rate shipping might work if the pedes were packaged well enough. I don't think they check packages. I can't vouch for doing this with centipedes but I have shipped millipedes from TN to CA and they did just fine.
Importing and exporting is not the same as shipping. It costs a lot of money to export/import species. Hawaii is very strict on anything animal related because of the fear of invasive species coming in. So getting animals in and out is very complicated, not saying it's impossible but rather challenging. I don't think Hawaii allows any animal to come in and out regardless of whether they're within the states or not, no??

Old thread that explains some things about exporting: https://arachnoboards.com/threads/international-shippers-to-the-us-know-the-law.72801/
This is the place that most people go to for a start: https://www.fws.gov/permits/ImportExport/ImportExport.html

Nicholas Rothstein

Arachnoknight
Ah great... now I NEED velvet worms... Sometimes I wished I lived else where... although the climate here would be great for them.

Anyone know how shipping nationally works? I have only found info about foreign stuff coming to U.S. and I have found it to be way off budget.

NYAN

Arachnoking
Anyone know how shipping nationally works? I have only found info about foreign stuff coming to U.S. and I have found it to be way off budget.
You need to do it air cargo. It needs to enter into a port of entry. It needs to be inspected by F&W agents. You will need a permit if you are importing large amounts of animals. You also may need permits for possessing and importing certain things in your state. From what I know, Hawaii restricts entry of a lot of stuff

Importing is expensive. Sometimes Fees are around $1000 total, sometimes they are $3-4000.

You really ought to contact a representative in your state for full information. You may not even be allowed to bring anything in. They will be able to give you the full scope.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
I feel for ya man. Hopefully you'll be able to figure something out; I know I'd for sure try and work something out trade-wise.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Nicholas Rothstein

Arachnoknight
You need to do it air cargo. It needs to enter into a port of entry. It needs to be inspected by F&W agents. You will need a permit if you are importing large amounts of animals. You also may need permits for possessing and importing certain things in your state. From what I know, Hawaii restricts entry of a lot of stuff

Importing is expensive. Sometimes Fees are around $1000 total, sometimes they are $3-4000.

You really ought to contact a representative in your state for full information. You may not even be allowed to bring anything in. They will be able to give you the full scope.
I called up the Hawaii dept. of Ag. The lady I talked to sounded like she had no idea what to tell me. I emailed an actual inspector for help. They are apparently very busy though.

So far from what I gathered is I'd only be able to send things for personal reasons, nothing commercial. And that's if they do let me send stuff......

I feel for ya man. Hopefully you'll be able to figure something out; I know I'd for sure try and work something out trade-wise.

Thanks,

Arthroverts
"Trades" are considered commercial transfers. If they do let me send stuff and it does work out then it would be "gifting". We would need to wait a while, maybe a month to send "gifts" for personal reasons i.e. hobby.

Nicholas Rothstein

Arachnoknight
This is for exporting?
Yup, sending anything out of Hawaii. Unless I get a commercial license or a one time ship thing. I'm not 100% sure. "Gifts" to other can circumvent this I think. I may need to send a notice for reason and all that stuff.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Really? Wow. I wouldn't mind waiting a lil' while, once your validity is confirmed ;):D. I wish I could get some of Hawaii's awesome slugs and other such creatures that are usually restricted, although those would probably be stopped upon entry.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Nicholas Rothstein

Arachnoknight
Really? Wow. I wouldn't mind waiting a lil' while, once your validity is confirmed ;):D. I wish I could get some of Hawaii's awesome slugs and other such creatures that are usually restricted, although those would probably be stopped upon entry.

Thanks,

Arthroverts
Oooh I'd be careful with slugs and snails from Hawaii. You never know which one carvings rat lung worm.

I wouldn't mind waiting for anything either. I am very interested in velvet worms, leaf/feathered centipedes, and the white giant centipedes. (There exact species doesn't matter to me)

I really want to be careful with this. There are some hefty fines that would leave me homeless and in jail.

It may be a few months at most before I can get all of this stuff straight.

NYAN

Arachnoking
I really want to be careful with this. There are some hefty fines that would leave me homeless and in jail.

It may be a few months at most before I can get all of this stuff straight.

Talk to someone in charge somewhere. Tell them exactly what you want to do and have them put the requirements in writing. That’s what I would want to do in this situation.

Anyway, the personal use thing is stupid. Just pay $100 to get a permit, it’s easy. With the personal use thing, they get to determine what qualifies pretty much. This also apparently means that the animal or its offspring can never be sold.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
I agree with @NYAN.
And yeah, I totally get it. That's why I haven't brown-boxed and never plan to do so; while the consequences for me may not be as drastic, I'd rather keep what I have then get it all confiscated over getting something new.
I know myself and others would love to get some of Hawaii's species (pity their all invasive and are wrecking the ecosystem); just let me know as I'd have to start saving for shipping if it all works out.

As for slugs and snails; I don't plan on ingesting them or touching them if necessary, the problem would be just getting them here. Exotic gastropods (probably because of the GALS's precedent) are some of the most restricted invertebrates in the US from what I understand, and I doubt they'd let me receive a package containing them.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Nicholas Rothstein

Arachnoknight
Talk to someone in charge somewhere. Tell them exactly what you want to do and have them put the requirements in writing. That’s what I would want to do in this situation.

Anyway, the personal use thing is stupid. Just pay $100 to get a permit, it’s easy. With the personal use thing, they get to determine what qualifies pretty much. This also apparently means that the animal or its offspring can never be sold.
I agree with @NYAN.
And yeah, I totally get it. That's why I haven't brown-boxed and never plan to do so; while the consequences for me may not be as drastic, I'd rather keep what I have then get it all confiscated over getting something new.
I know myself and others would love to get some of Hawaii's species (pity their all invasive and are wrecking the ecosystem); just let me know as I'd have to start saving for shipping if it all works out.

As for slugs and snails; I don't plan on ingesting them or touching them if necessary, the problem would be just getting them here. Exotic gastropods (probably because of the GALS's precedent) are some of the most restricted invertebrates in the US from what I understand, and I doubt they'd let me receive a package containing them.

Thanks,

Arthroverts
I'll keep updating this thread on my efforts. I'm gonna call the USDA and the HDA again tomorrow.

Nicholas Rothstein

Arachnoknight
Do you know of any breeders in Hawaii that have shipped or tried shipping out of state?
No I don't. I have the feeling the hobby for inverts is not very prominent here. Although I was gifted two diamondback turtles about 10 years ago. I hope to contact my cousin about the information. I know that since then they were removed from the exceptions permit he had because it is considered an endangered species in the U.S. mainland and a possible invasive species in Hawaii if escaped from captivity. I have the feeling that things will be different from centipedes. He had to get veterinary certification and all sorts of stuff.

Does anyone wanna chime in? I would like to know how much a scolopendra subspinipes or morsitans would go for. If I make less then what I spend that would be a problem.

NYAN

Arachnoking
Does anyone wanna chime in? I would like to know how much a scolopendra subspinipes or morsitans would go for. If I make less then what I spend that would be a problem.
First off, I believe Hawaii nay consider both species nonnative. That may help you.

Anyway, I’ve seen Hawaiian subspinipes for sale before. They go for $80-$100. The issue is finding people who want them though. I have no idea what morsitans go for but it’s probably half that.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Oooh I'd be careful with slugs and snails from Hawaii. You never know which one carvings rat lung worm.

I wouldn't mind waiting for anything either. I am very interested in velvet worms, leaf/feathered centipedes, and the white giant centipedes. (There exact species doesn't matter to me)
I probably couldn't buy specimens outright, but I could try and do an exchange of "gifts" for what you mentioned (velvet worms are a while down the road however). What do you mean by "white giant centipedes"? Scientific name(s)?

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Nicholas Rothstein

Arachnoknight
Damn these people are about as friendly as the old lady running a desk at a DMV

"Eww centipedes, I have no idea about those" <- redirects me to 4 different people.

I'm starting to get a bit irritated. Could some show me in detail what process they had to go through and the contacts they have?

NYAN

Arachnoking
"Eww centipedes, I have no idea about those" <- redirects me to 4 different people.

I'm starting to get a bit irritated. Could some show me in detail what process they had to go through and the contacts they have?
Perhaps call fish and wildlife? Sometimes there’s an invertebrate/ myriapod person on staff for them.