Exporting from US

MetallicArachnid

Arachnosquire
I'm in the process of moving to Canada and need to know what permits are required to export my collection which consist of 27 tarantulas, roughly 25 scorpions, one centipede, several true spiders, one gecko and two snakes none of which are listed in the CITES appendices. They're being taken to Canada for non commercial purposes.

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Contact the USFW and the equivalent office in Canada, that's the best way to get accurate and legal information.

When you do find out, let us know. The more info, the better.

This part I do know, which I believe applies to non-commerical as well, but again verify w/the appropriate powers:

On the U.S. side, all you need is a license. This part is easy, you fill out an online form with USFW and pay $100 and that’s it, you have an import/export license

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Contact the USFW and the equivalent office in Canada, that's the best way to get accurate and legal information.

When you do find out, let us know. The more info, the better.

This part I do know, which I believe applies to non-commerical as well, but again verify w/the appropriate powers:

On the U.S. side, all you need is a license. This part is easy, you fill out an online form with USFW and pay $100 and that’s it, you have an import/export license
Really? That's all you need is a license? I have wanted to get into import/export of Ts, scorpions and what not. I am going to have to look into it a bit further now.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Really? That's all you need is a license? I have wanted to get into import/export of Ts, scorpions and what not. I am going to have to look into it a bit further now.
Yep, it's actually more straightforward than people think in terms of the license.

Importing of Ts however, is not that straight forward compared to the license when done legally. There's significantly more work that needs to be done on the EU side if you are importing Ts, than just having that license.

Here's some tidbits of related info

I suggest you check out the link in there that lead's to MJacobi post as well on another site.

http://arachnoboards.com/threads/importing-to-the-us.287009/#post-2526497

Last edited:

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yep, it's actually more straightforward than people think in terms of the license.

Importing of Ts however, is not that straight forward compared to the license when done legally. There's significantly more work that needs to be done on the EU side if you are importing Ts, than just having that license.

Here's some tidbits of related info

I suggest you check out the link in there that lead's to MJacobi post as well on another site.

http://arachnoboards.com/threads/importing-to-the-us.287009/#post-2526497
Well, I just got done reading all that. I appreciate you taking the time and posting it. This all has killed my interest in importing and exporting! I think I will just stick with buying in the states. Lol

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Well, I just got done reading all that. I appreciate you taking the time and posting it. This all has killed my interest in importing and exporting! I think I will just stick with buying in the states. Lol
I figured it would; It does for most people. I was reading your response, and like others myself included, I felt you thought it was pretty much just that license more or less.

I called TCanada, and Martin told me that order had to be at least $1,000 for it to be worth it for HIM to send to the USA.

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I figured it would; It does for most people. I was reading your response, and like others myself included, I felt you thought it was pretty much just that license more or less.

I called TCanada, and Martin told me that order had to be at least $1,000 for it to be worth it for HIM to send to the USA.
Well to be honest, I figured there was a bit more to it that the license. I did not figure it to be that much though! Later on, I may consider it. For now, I won't put to much thought into it.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Typical US policy...here, you can get our crap fairly easy, but we want nothing of your crap. (US to rest of the world)

MetallicArachnid

Arachnosquire

Yet all Canada requires is a declaration of what you have, for animals that aren't listed in CITES.

Marijan2

Arachnobaron
That doesn't seem like awfully big number, considering your overall prices of inverts in the US. How is it not more common to import from EU as our prices are literally a third of yours?

MetallicArachnid

Arachnosquire
USFWS answer
The mouse, Mus musculus, is considered to be a domesticated species and therefore, we have no requirements for the exportation of that species.

We would consider mealworms and superworms to be routinely farm-raised and we would have no requirements for the exportation of those species.

The invertebrate and reptile species that you have listed are not protected however, as you prepare to export these invertebrates and reptiles out of the United States, you must complete Form 3-177, Declaration for Importation or Exportation of Fish or Wildlife. You can find this form on our website at the following address: http://www.fws.gov/le/pdf/3177_1.pdf This form is not difficult to complete, although you must provide the scientific name for each species that you wish to export.

We do allow the filing of Form 3-177 on-line using our eDecs system. You can view information on our eDecs system on our website at: https://edecs.fws.gov/.

If you have additional questions regarding the use of our eDecs system, we suggest that you contact our wildlife inspectors at the port where you will be exporting these invertebrates and reptiles for assistance. You can find contact information for our wildlife inspectors on our website at the following address: https://www.fws.gov/le/canadian-border-ports.html

Please have this form completed and have it, and these invertebrates and reptiles available for inspection as you prepare to export them out of the United States.

Provided that these invertebrates and reptiles were captive-bred in the United States, you can export these invertebrates and reptiles at any designated port listed at the following address: http://www.fws.gov/le/designated-ports.html or, at any of the border ports listed in paragraph (a) at the following link: http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-id...a685665b4&mc=true&node=se50.1.14_116&rgn=div8

We require that you contact 48 hours in advance our wildlife inspectors at the port where you will be exporting these invertebratesand reptiles in order to coordinate their clearance out of the United States.

MetallicArachnid

Arachnosquire
And the species list for anyone interested
Invertebrates
0.1 Acanthoscuria geniculata
0.1.1 Aphonopelma seemanni
0.1 Aphonopelma chalcodes
0.0.1 Avicularia diversipes
0.0.1 Avicularia purpurea
0.01 Avicularia versicolor
1.10 Centruroides sculpturatus
0.0.1 Cyriopagopus lividus (formerly Haplopelma lividum)
1.0 Damon diadema
0.1 Grammostola rosea
0.0.1 Grammostola pulchra
0.1 Gorgyrella sp. African black
0.0.1 Hapalopus sp. Columbia
0.0.1 Heterothele gabonensis
0.1 Heteroscodra maculata
0.0.1 Hadogenes paucidens
0.1.12 Heterometrus longimanus
0.0.1 Idiothele mira
0.1 Latrodectus hesperus
0.0.1 Mastigoproctus giganteus
0.0.1 Neoholothele incei
1.1 Pandinus cavimanus
0.1 Poecilotheria vitatta
1.0 Poecilotheria regalis
0.1 Pterinochilus murinus
0.0.1 Scolopendra subspinipes
0.1 Theraphosa stirmi

Reptiles
1.0 Gekko gekko
0.1 Elaphe obseleta lindheimeri
1.0 Pantherophis gutattus gutattus

Mammals and feeder insects
1.3 Mus musculus ( captive bred multiple generations)
1 colony Tenebrio molitor (mealworms)
1 colony Zophobas morio (superworms)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That doesn't seem like awfully big number, considering your overall prices of inverts in the US. How is it not more common to import from EU as our prices are literally a third of yours?
It costs a lot of money. Almost all general inquires from hobbyists here are people who see the cheap prices in EU and want to benefit, and think Importing/Exporting Ts from EU is like shipping an normal package to the state, it isn't, that's illegal. Most hobbyists aren't interested in buying the amount of Ts required to make it worth the money, time etc to go through w/all that is required to legally do it.

Most owners are only looking to get a few Ts at a time at most, which is cost prohibitive generally speaking. Most are not going to import 3 A. versi because they are cheaper in the EU. In the end, it costs more money that way.

MetallicArachnid

Arachnosquire
USFW informed me that for non commercial shipments of species not listed in CITES you do not need an import/export license and can leave that space blank on the form, you do need to file a declaration and provide 48 hours notice to your designated port of exit.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
USFW informed me that for non commercial shipments of species not listed in CITES you do not need an import/export license and can leave that space blank on the form, you do need to file a declaration and provide 48 hours notice to your designated port of exit.
So if my Canadian friend wants to send me some, no license needed. But if Martin wants to send some into the USA I need one, correct?