Expo Expectations and Advice?

aarachnid

Arachnoknight
I would post this question in Arachnofunctions under the expo’s thread, but there wasn’t a thread started. I am going to an expo outside of Philly this Saturday. I am stoked. I’ve done a ton of research on species and have a list of Ts I am interested in that I feel competent caring for. I also have some enclosures of various sizes ready. The expo’s website sucks, though, so I only have info for a couple of T sellers, so I don’t feel fully prepared.

Any advice for a first time expo person? My partner is taking me, but he has no interest in tarantulas. It all seems very intimidating, when I was searching around for my first T I did a lot of back and forth, and I feel like that would be annoying/not possible to do at an expo.

Tortuga

Arachnoknight
It does seem intimidating, I felt the same way. Don't worry too much, that feeling will fade quickly when you get there. I would imagine you're partner won't be able to peel the grin of your face after all the cool stuff you'll see :). I posted a similar thread a few months back and got some good advice. http://arachnoboards.com/threads/general-advice-about-exotic-pet-shows.319532/#post-2928860 Hope there's some info in there you find useful.

Glad to hear you've done a ton of research, that's awesome! What species are you thinking of getting?

Asgiliath

Arachnobaron
I’ve only been to one Repticon (for ex.) but walked away with six slings, one adult a. chalcodes (since been sexed female) and a KK for about 100$ total.

You should keep a lookout for slings especially if you’re interested in them! There were multiple vendors selling them for less than 10$ to 20$ each.

(And to think I saw one centimeter b. klaasi slings going for 100$ each at an exotics shop recently! Ugh)

Kitara

Arachnodemon
I'm right there with ya! We are going this month for the first time too. Have our list ready. C. versicolor is at the top. I hope I can get a wee baby.

(And to think I saw one centimeter b. klaasi slings going for 100$ each at an exotics shop recently! Ugh)
Yeeks!!

Last edited by a moderator:

aarachnid

Arachnoknight
It does seem intimidating, I felt the same way. Don't worry too much, that feeling will fade quickly when you get there. I would imagine you're partner won't be able to peel the grin of your face after all the cool stuff you'll see :). I posted a similar thread a few months back and got some good advice. http://arachnoboards.com/threads/general-advice-about-exotic-pet-shows.319532/#post-2928860 Hope there's some info in there you find useful.

Glad to hear you've done a ton of research, that's awesome! What species are you thinking of getting?
Thank you! That thread was extremely helpful and also answered a question I forgot to ask: is it a good place to buy supplies? I am ready to set up, but I'd prefer to use cork bark instead of cut in half flower pots, but I want to look at it instead of ordering a piece online. Also, good to know about deals. I am an autistic weirdo, but my boyfriend is extremely charming and personable and will help me if there are any deals to be had.

My dream T is a mature G Pulchra of any sex, but I think I'd blow my whole budget on just one. My more realistic "dream" list is

2 A genic slings (I want to raise slings, but I want fast growers to start since my collection is small)
1 juvie D Pentaloris (I love the look at it, and I love how my GBB webs, so this was attractive to me)
1 Adult A Chalcoes or A Hentzi, conf F (I think the blonde color is beautiful, and I'm super into them being native to NA)

If that doesn't work out, I am also eyeing juvie B Vagans and B Albopilosum as backups. I was toying with getting an arboreal, but all the ones I'm interested are aren't very rare, so I'm going to wait until I feel more comfortable with terrestrial guys.

I'm right there with ya! We are going this month for the first time too. Have our list ready. C. versicolor is at the top. I hope I can get a wee baby.
Best of luck! If you see a nervous fat girl with a tall, not fat guy, that might be us!! Lol.

You should keep a lookout for slings especially if you’re interested in them! There were multiple vendors selling them for less than 10$ to 20$ each.
I'm hoping my A Genics will be right around that price point!!

Tortuga

Arachnoknight
@aarachnid it’s a great place to get supplies imo, at least cork bark. I found this last time around that prices on cork bark can be negotiated (within reason). You’ll also get to see 1st hand what it looks like unlike buying cork bark online.

Asgiliath

Arachnobaron
Thank you! That thread was extremely helpful and also answered a question I forgot to ask: is it a good place to buy supplies? I am ready to set up, but I'd prefer to use cork bark instead of cut in half flower pots, but I want to look at it instead of ordering a piece online. Also, good to know about deals. I am an autistic weirdo, but my boyfriend is extremely charming and personable and will help me if there are any deals to be had.

My dream T is a mature G Pulchra of any sex, but I think I'd blow my whole budget on just one. My more realistic "dream" list is

2 A genic slings (I want to raise slings, but I want fast growers to start since my collection is small)
1 juvie D Pentaloris (I love the look at it, and I love how my GBB webs, so this was attractive to me)
1 Adult A Chalcoes or A Hentzi, conf F (I think the blonde color is beautiful, and I'm super into them being native to NA)

If that doesn't work out, I am also eyeing juvie B Vagans and B Albopilosum as backups. I was toying with getting an arboreal, but all the ones I'm interested are aren't very rare, so I'm going to wait until I feel more comfortable with terrestrial guys.

Best of luck! If you see a nervous fat girl with a tall, not fat guy, that might be us!! Lol.

I'm hoping my A Genics will be right around that price point!!
To start, I also have a disability that affects communication (am deaf) so I had to go along with someone who could interpret for me. Good you have a partner that can help with ease of communication! Unfortunately folks that are trying to SELL anything can always attempt to take advantage of us (because we’re oblivious, right?)

As far as supplies go, I saw the standard that you’d see at any exotics place. Hides, sub, dishes, enclosures etc.

I’m sure you’ll have a good time and come back with some reasonably priced spoods if you’re lucky (and should be).

bulbophyllum

Arachnosquire
I usually just walk around and see what everyone has first. Prices can vary a lot. If I interested in picking up animals or supplies I go back to the best looking ones or the best price. Expos can be really crowded. If I'm really interested in talking to a seller for a several minutes I wait at the booth until the crowd dies down around the booth. They will talk for as long as you want as long as they are not missing a bunch of sales. Just try to be cool about it. They want to talk to you but they also want to make as much money that day as they can. Part of the fun of the show for both sellers and buyers is the community. You get to know a handful of sellers that you like after a while and you stop in at the booth to chat. It's cool. You may be an autistic weirdo but, the place will be full of weirdos. It's a bunch of people that like spiders, roaches, snakes, frog...... I'm a weirdo with a pretty bad stutter and I have met a bunch of cool seller at the shows that I keep in touch with. You will have fun

aarachnid

Arachnoknight
Unfortunately folks that are trying to SELL anything can always attempt to take advantage of us (because we’re oblivious, right?)
To be honest, I can be oblivious since I don’t pick up on certain social cues, and I can get tunnel vision (literally and figuratively) when I’m overstimulated or anxious. I also stink in general with communicating. During my day job, I am real people, but once I’m off script I’m a mess. I’m thankful he’s taking me, my backup was a friend who would have been fun to go with, but useless as a buffer between me and the general public lol.

I know what we have isn’t the same, but I’m glad you were able to have a good time while also having communication issues. I hope you have many more fun expos!

They will talk for as long as you want as long as they are not missing a bunch of sales. Just try to be cool about it. .. Part of the fun of the show for both sellers and buyers is the community. You get to know a handful of sellers that you like after a while and you stop in at the booth to chat...You may be an autistic weirdo but, the place will be full of weirdos... I'm a weirdo with a pretty bad stutter and I have met a bunch of cool seller at the shows that I keep in touch with. You will have fun
Thank you! That's reassuring and helpful! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
The show down the road from me each month is extremely reputable. Listen to your gut! If something doesn't feel right, ask questions to pin down the seller on what exactly their 'angle' is and if they don't give you good answers, take a step back, grab a drink or donut or something and regroup and go see if there are other stalls/booths with tarantulas at them. The seller should work for you, not the other way around. The two vendors I buy from are super nice and experienced and they will literally answer anything I ask them. Remember, you can always get tarantulas in the mail if you honestly can't find a reputable place at a reptile/exotics' show.

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
My advice about expos is to go to a few before you decide how you feel about them. I admittedly did not like my first expo experience, and honestly didn't expect to go back. They're crowded, unfamiliar, have a lot of stupid people (you can't escape them unfortunately), and I was particularly grumpy because I was hungry :bag:.

But I chose to go back to try and give it another shot, once I knew what to expect. My second experience was much better. I was able to mentally prepare for the environment, knew the places to avoid, and knew the vendors to go to. And it's gotten better since. So just go in with an open mind, and don't write off the experience altogether if your first one doesn't go as planned.

And just as a heads up, if any of the vendors that went to the White Plains expo this past Sunday also go to that one in Philly (which is totally within the realm of possibilty), you should be able to find some of the Ts on your list. There was vendors with quite a few of those species there.

aarachnid

Arachnoknight
I am bringing cash, if only so when it runs out I won’t be tempted to keep spending :) I’ve given myself a big cushion over what I expect to pay, but one never knows what pops up. Tbh, I am telling myself no more than 4 spiders, but if I can only find slings, I might get a few more. :)

Brachyfan

Deactivated account
Always bring some extra cash just in case. Last expo I went to ended up having a lot of stuff on sale really cheap for my leopard geckos so I got a bunch of stuff. I went there to buy some spiders and ended up getting way more stuff I needed. Obviously i had budgeted for this.

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
I'm going to a big expo this weekend as well (not the same one as the OP), my approach is different: I've pre-ordered the things I really want to pick up so that I know I'm going to get what I'm looking for, and am bringing just a small amount of money for other "impulse" pickups

Brachyfan

Deactivated account
I'm going to a big expo this weekend as well (not the same one as the OP), my approach is different: I've pre-ordered the things I really want to pick up so that I know I'm going to get what I'm looking for, and am bringing just a small amount of money for other "impulse" pickups
Great advice!

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
They're not for everyone, but there can be some really good deals to be found. It's a tough gig for the vendors, so you do need to be a bit patient with them. They're there to build relationships, so they should be trying to accommodate everyone who is trying to speak with them, but there are a lot of time wasters at expos who have no intentions of buying anything - people who ask a lot of questions, or love to tell you stories about all the people they know almost killed by a tarantula bite. I was always thankful for a real client coming along and saving me from those conversations.
It is easy to get overwhelmed, so that was good advice given that you might need to go to a couple before you appreciate their value.

aarachnid

Arachnoknight
I definitely want to shop around this time, even if it means I don’t get everything I want. Also, not knowing all the vendors makes me have major anxiety of being locked into a certain T when a “better” specimen is available at a different table. Your tactic seems a lot more efficient, though!

ThatsUnpossible

Arachnosquire
If you see a vendor you like, but he doesn’t have the specimens you want - take their business card and write on it why you liked him/her.

I found a vendor who had really healthy, good looking spiders but not the ones I wanted. I’m on his mailing list for new stock.

Have a great time! It’ll be fun :)

Last edited: