explain this

chilean

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Just curious... But why does my chilean rose eat it's crickets, and half way through her supper, she'll wrap it up with her web (specially made for her cricket) and eats it write away, web and all?

Masurai

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Just curious... But why does my chilean rose eat it's crickets, and half way through her supper, she'll wrap it up with her web (specially made for her cricket) and eats it write away, web and all?
It webs it up to hold it together as it eats.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It's normal, may Ts make what we call a feeding mat. It seems to serve as an anchor for prey items being eaten, and when they are done they often just move that whole mat out of the hide taking all remains with it and keeping the burrow clean.

julesaussies

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
"The Wad"

i recently read about a specific name for this behavior but of course can't remember it or the source. i just found it interesting because i noticed that my T's did that even a long time ago when i used to keep them back 10 or so years ago.

My family used to call it "the wad" - LOL. Not very technical... Anyway, i have seen them do this when eating only when cricket and especially when eating several. My T's will continue to attack individual crickets and then web up the whole package, pick it back up and eat the whole "wad".

So, yes, what you're seeing is completely normal. i have observed my T's doing it from decades ago and while i don't remember the technical name for it - it is normal for T's to make "wads" out of their crickets and eat it up!!

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
yeah, they basically web out of convenience i would say. the wad theory seems pretty accurate. plus T's are pretty clean inverts and a small, webbed ball of remains is all that is left after a meal.

spid142

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
food web

I think the TTKG authors referred to it as the feeding mat, as Talkenlate said. Sort of a conbination table and tablecloth.

chilean

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
thanks

Thanks for answering, i knew it was probably something like that, but thanks for confirming

PS There are some real nice pics in this forum, congrats :clap:

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It's normal, may Ts make what we call a feeding mat. It seems to serve as an anchor for prey items being eaten, and when they are done they often just move that whole mat out of the hide taking all remains with it and keeping the burrow clean.
Ok So what if they never do it. I have a juvenile male B. boehmei and he never ever does this feeding mat. He catches his crickets than eats right there, never moving until its all gone.He has molted once in my care and I didn't even see the molting mat they usually make. Can that be explained?

christin

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ok So what if they never do it. I have a juvenile male B. boehmei and he never ever does this feeding mat. He catches his crickets than eats right there, never moving until its all gone.He has molted once in my care and I didn't even see the molting mat they usually make. Can that be explained?
I only have one T that makes a molting mat, a P. cancerides...and he does the feeding mat thing too. As for my others, they are alot less meticulous. Some of them will do "the wad" but certainly not all of them, and not all the time either. I think it has to do with thier individual personalities. Just as long as thier molting and eating, I'm happy {D

Water spider

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My male B.smithi often spins the feeding mat, but then goes somewhere else to eat his prey.