Experimenting with genetics in crickets includes breeding crickets in the family Gryllidae.

What kinda nod of crickets can you get in the USA?

• Crickets

• Kinds of crickets

Results are only viewable after voting.

Crickets gone crazy

Arachnopeon
Hello, I'm not breeding my crickets for pet food, but sheer enjoyment of them. Also I'm doing an experiment with crossing multiple crickets in the Gryllidae family. I have already successfully bred house crickets with three kinds of Field crickets. The brown and black cricket is the result. I would like to add more kinds of crickets to the list. Already ordered banded crickets and have house crickets. What other kinds of crickets can you buy in the USA? Thanks.

Attachments

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Jerusalem Crickets are available in the US you might like those.

Introvertebrate

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
I'd like to see you breed them with cricket virus resistance in mind. I guess, in a sense, we're already doing that. The more resistant ones are surviving long enough to reproduce.

Crickets gone crazy

Arachnopeon
I'd like to see you breed them with cricket virus resistance in mind. I guess, in a sense, we're already doing that. The more resistant ones are surviving long enough to reproduce.
The Field crickets never died on me. It was the house crickets that died on me the most. I heard the banded crickets were very resilient as well. I had two young house crickets die on me already, but no harm done to the others.

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
Banded crickets are great. Very resiliant and best of all they don't chirp and they smell way less than most other crickets. Also, you can buy them on Amazon :).

Crickets gone crazy

Arachnopeon
Banded crickets are great. Very resiliant and best of all they don't chirp and they smell way less than most other crickets. Also, you can buy them on Amazon :).
I just got mine in the mail and they are chirping like crazy. I think they are happy to be out of the box! :)

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
I just got mine in the mail and they are chirping like crazy. I think they are happy to be out of the box! :)
Go figure. I've had the odd one here and there chirp, but only a couple out of a few hundred. Funny enough it always seems to be the one that was left in a T enclosure by my bed overnight and wasn't eaten.

The last one woke me up at midnight chirping. My first thought was "please don't let it be in a pokie cage." Luckily it was in the versicolor enclosure so I easily removed it and went back to bed.

Crickets gone crazy

Arachnopeon
My females are laying eggs. What relative tempter would I keep the cage at? How many times should I mist the cage? Thanks for the information!

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
Can't tell you about rearing from eggs, but the insert that came with my last shipment of banded crickets says 75-90 degrees F and 40-60% humidity. Good luck!

Crickets gone crazy

Arachnopeon
Can't tell you about rearing from eggs, but the insert that came with my last shipment of banded crickets says 75-90 degrees F and 40-60% humidity. Good luck!
Ok grate! I have them in a huge 50 gallon terrarium. Maybe I should mist it every day. And I will need to get something to keep them warm like a heat lamp for reptiles. Can't realy use a heat pad.

Attachments

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
Thats a heck of a cricket setup. I kept mine in a 20 gallon aquarium in my garage for several weeks. The outside temps never got above 85 but that means it was 90+ in the garage and I did see a decline in numbers at that temp. Summer is coming so its time to move them inside.

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
There is no single link because there are several sizes and quantities to choose from. Just type banded cricket into Amazon and all your options will pop up.