Experiences with T. Blondi?

Flutterbat

Arachnopeon
Just curious about everyone's experiences with T. Blondi! Do they make good pets? Would you recommend them? Just curious!

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
No tarantula is a good "pet". T. blondi have worse urticating hairs than most NW species, and they have plenty of it!

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Ah ah, buy one and discover yourself.

Not to mention that (in 2016 I'm not able to explain this fact myself) in the US, unlike here in Europe, 0.1 genus Theraphosa are incredibly cheap.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I would recommend one without doubts, I personally like that genus. I like their size and aesthetic. Still not even comparable to a Goddess 0.1 Pelinobius muticus :pompous:

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
If you were to get a theraphosa, get a stirmi. Way cheaper, same size, and hardier.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Not a beginner genus, hold off until you get more experience. You're not going to find a T blondi at a price you can afford, which is an indication you're been looking at outdated info. For years, almost all Theraphosa in the US are T stirmi. All three species in the genus have the worst urticating hairs of all tarantulas. They don't just itch, they burn for hours. Some people get rashes, even from handling a molt. After doing maintenance once, I was laying awake in bed all night, with stirmi hairs burning my face. I could feel each hair, and they don't wash/rub off. They deliberately scatter the hairs around their cage and molting beds, like barbed wire, to keep predators away. The hairs are easily stirred up and sent airborne. Not really what I'd call a 'good pet'; I don't think it's what you're looking for at this point.

Last edited: