Expecting new arrivals today

Lycanthrope

Arachnolord
Old Timer
well im home early from work, and checked the status of my package. (5 P. murinis usambara slings) they'll be here today. cant wait.=D

Theraphosa

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
nice.. yesterday, i got my spiderlings.... my favorite spiderling was my Usambar Baboon (Pterinochilus sp.) orange form. my T made a web home already. :) I was wondering is a Usambar Baboon (Pterinochilus sp.) an arboreal or a terrestrial.. cuz it made it's web home near the ground and it's sitting on the ground inside it's web home

Lycanthrope

Arachnolord
Old Timer
ive actually heard them described as terrestrial, and "semi aboreal". apparently because some individuals take to climbing in their youth.

Theraphosa

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
oh i see, thanks.. by the way is your usambara slings just like mine or a little bit different?

Theraphosa

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
well. i've noticed their names are different.. hmm what color are they?

Lycanthrope

Arachnolord
Old Timer
ohhhh. well your dealer probably referred to them as pterinochilus sp. because theres a bit of discretion about whether they are just a color morph of P.murinus, or another Pterinochilus sp. altogether.

Theraphosa

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
soo.. my spiderling is orange color right now.. so is that a P.murinus or Pterinochilus sp?

Lycanthrope

Arachnolord
Old Timer
thats where the controversy is. usumbaras have been called by both p. sp and p murinis. after i saw a regular p murinis and an usumbara in the same shop, ive adopted the idea that they are p murinis, just a color morph from a different locale. in short you can call it either without being wrong, until they decide for sure what the heck they want to classify it as.

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
I separated mine a bit too late last night, I had 5 of them living together. They molt very often, and apparently, got a little hungry ;)
Now, I have 4 instead of 6....very fat ones though, I might add!
They web like mad, they are fast as lightening, they eat like pigs, they molt constantly, and you will enjoy them immensely!

AlbinoDragon829

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by Lycanthrope
ive actually heard them described as terrestrial, and "semi aboreal". apparently because some individuals take to climbing in their youth.
Not necessarily just in their youth... When I first got mine as a sub adult, it burrowed and stayed under there for the longest time. Then out of nowhere, it webbed a little hammock for itself at the top of the cage. Now, it switches off between the both every other couple of weeks. :cool:

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
To clarify something: officially, there is no longer any controversey, Usambaras are a color morph of P. murinus. The paper has been published, it's by a reputable taxonomist, and if anyone wants to dispute it, they'd better be a skilled taxonomist themselves.

The issue is that many dealers, importers, etc. are still uninformed, but if you at all care about accuracy in these matter, P. murinus in the pet trade now has two color morphs - the traditional sandy brown and the organge "Usambara" forms.

Lycanthrope

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Thanks code monkey, i wasnt aware it was official:rolleyes: . anyway they are here! lil fellas too about the size of my pinky nail. in unpacking them, everylast one of them got a run up my arm before getting into thier viles. my only worry now is if i will screw up. ive never had slings before, im constantly worrying whether its too moist in the viles, if the airholes arent big enough, and if i will miss leftover pieces of prey when cleaning up.

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I've had to pretty much forgo worrying about leftovers with my Usambara slings. Too much webbing to retrieve very much without destroying everything. Since almost nothing touches the substrate including the spiders, figuring it probably is not an issue unless I see a big nasty fuzzy growth mites swarming everything.