Under the microscope!

kitty_b

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
honestly, i don't really know what all of the structures are, haha. i wasn't required to identify them! :D

David_F

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Very cool! :)

Looks like you can see some urticating hair along with a bunch of other weird stuff.

Do tarantulas have trichobothria on their abdomens? That large "hair" in the first three pics with the red base kind of looks like a trichobothrium.

Nerri1029

Chief Cook n Bottlewasher
Old Timer
UPDATE :

My latest discovery for equipment.

I stumbled on it while shopping for work.
It's designed for telescopes, but most of us ( microphotographers ) can use it as well.

the Celestron 93626 Universal Digital Camera Adapter
I got mine from Amazon. but have found them decently priced other places too. If you take pics through the eyepiece ( afocal )
Even I don;t have access to a decent stereoscope with a trinocular head.

so for about $40 I can now attach my camera to my microscope and take some really decent pics.. like the ones above. The only difference now is the camera stays put. It's surprisingly sturdy and larger than it looks.

Last edited:

Nerri1029

Old Timer
cool stuff Nerri!

Love the Lexx avatar too!
Umm that would be FARSCAPE ... but they were on one after another for a few seasons.. so I'll forgive the digression...

Still working on how to get the best picture form the scope...

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Now that has to be some fun!
Looking at those shots makes me want to go get one for me!

Tegenaria

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Oh yes cool shots,but have you thought of trying stacking software like combine z which allows you to get everything in sharp focus. Takes a lot of work but the results I've seen on photomacrography2.net are amazing!

Last edited:

Nerri1029

Old Timer
Oh yes cool shots,but have you thought of trying stacking software like combine z which allows you to get everything in sharp focus. Takes a lot of work but the results I've seen on photomacrography2.net are amazing!
I would certainly be interested in that kind of software.

these shots took me 10 minutes total to get, scope to computer.

I'll give it a look .. thanks :)

If I end up trying to publish any I'll def need something like that.

***off to Google ***

Nerri1029

Old Timer

I picked up a SONY Cybershot, as I shoot the pics through the video (third) port.

I now have an 88 LED ring light too.

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Hey there- any links you know of on using microscopes with Cybershots?

tarcan

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Mike,

Nice, now you need to get up here so that I can also enjoy the fun!

Martin

N1ghtFire

Arachnoknight
I have 3 avicularia versicolor molts and a Lasiodora Parahybana molt. They are all pretty small, probably to small to sex for someone who has no experience sexing tarantulas, but I decided to look at them under a microscope just for the fun of it. Can anyone tell me what I am seeing? I am unsure that I am even looking in the correct spot to sex them, so i dont expect anyone to be able tell their gender, but what am I seeing?
First 2 pictures are from Versicolor one, last 2 are versicolor three, and middle one is versicolor 5. (I dont have names for them yet)

Two of the molts look the same and have a little tan line in the middle of the abdomen, while one molt, the 3rd picture, doesnt have that line. Would that differance between the molts be a male vs female difference? Why is one molt differant than the other two??

Attachments

Last edited: