Exoskeleton Images (Microscope)

kitty_b

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
So I'm in a microscopy course, and our first assignment was to produce low power and high power images of a sample. Since my laboratory specimens (oocytes) were unavailable at the time, I snagged an abdominal piece off the recent molt of my T. blondi, Ms. Munchie.

The biggest problems were the inability to focus on the entire image at higher powers (as is quite obvious above the lowest power) and an inability to regulate the light coming through the stage (and so the higher power images appear darker and darker). Let's hope they're understanding.

I should also note that the camera are not superior by any means, and so the pictures really don't even do the sample justice!!!

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
cool shots.now what exactly are we looking at here lol

kitty_b

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
honestly, i don't really know what all of the structures are, haha. i wasn't required to identify them! :D

David_F

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Very cool! :)

Looks like you can see some urticating hair along with a bunch of other weird stuff.

Do tarantulas have trichobothria on their abdomens? That large "hair" in the first three pics with the red base kind of looks like a trichobothrium.