Exodon Paradoxus

Jumbie Spider

Arachnobaron
Are those common aquarium species?
I would say they are fairly common, but are wild caught and seasonal... so they usually come in only when in season.
Pet stores normally carry them, but usually just a few specimens and they are usually a little pricey (~$8-$10 a piece).
So to see a swarm of them like this is uncommon.

Westicles

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
I would say they are fairly common, but are wild caught and seasonal... so they usually come in only when in season.
Pet stores normally carry them, but usually just a few specimens and they are usually a little pricey (~$8-$10 a piece).
So to see a swarm of them like this is uncommon.
So not captive bred at all? Nonetheless, awesome looking fish.

Jumbie Spider

Arachnobaron
So not captive bred at all? Nonetheless, awesome looking fish.
Nah, there are certain groups of fish which are allowed to be exported during certain times each year and still maintain the local population, while at the same time employing the locals and providing income for them and their family.
There's been captive breeding done before, bred by a hobbyist back in the 70's I believe.

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
Exodons are basically piranhas in miniature, lol the common name is bucktooth tetra. Not cheap and pretty aggressive, they can get about 4-5" and they'll eat smaller fish and nip off pieces of the fins/scales of larger fish as well. The best odds of success with them is to get a decent school in a larger aquarium and break up the sight lines a bit. If you start with like 3 or 5, you'll end up with 1 or 2 pretty quickly as there isn't enough fish to dispel and spread out any aggression.

Westicles

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Gotcha! Well, no place for them in my tank. Thanks for the info though

Westicles

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Dwarf gouramis, lamp eye tetras, Cory cats, rasboras, and skirt tetras. Sorry, but I don't do scientific names with the fish or the snakes! Lol

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
Dwarf gouramis, lamp eye tetras, Cory cats, rasboras, and skirt tetras. Sorry, but I don't do scientific names with the fish or the snakes! Lol
Yeah, I'd skip the exodons lol. More of a fish for a species only tank, although some people have had success keeping them with Pygocentrus sp. piranha.

Westicles

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Yeah, I'd skip the exodons lol. More of a fish for a species only tank, although some people have had success keeping them with Pygocentrus sp. piranha.
They sound really interesting, but unfortunately no more room for another tank! Lol

Jumbie Spider

Arachnobaron
All good. I know the fish you are talking about.
Perhaps look into some more tetra species if you're looking to add. They are fascinating and quite a bit of species to choose from.
Depending on tank size, you could also look into some slightly bigger characins, like silver dollars and Myleus sp. etc.
There are also some really cool pleco species for the bottom layer.

They sound really interesting, but unfortunately no more room for another tank! Lol
Be careful you might get MTS! (Multiple tank syndrome)

Westicles

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
I already have Multiple Snake and T syndrome, no need to add to my disorders! Lol

Westicles

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
My tank is a 55 gallon and stocked right under the limit according to the stock calculator

Jumbie Spider

Arachnobaron
Oh yeah you have room for some tank mates 👍
And some good options depending on your preferences.

paumotu

Arachnobaron
Those fish are savages, I cant imagine any other fish living with a school like that

Jumbie Spider

Arachnobaron
Those fish are savages, I cant imagine any other fish living with a school like that
Not with a school like this, it would be torture to see a live fish get completely descaled and see them fully exposed to further flesh wounds. It's not something I would do intentionally. I have done it in the past but didn't realize how brutal it would be, and I stay away from any live feedings since then.

If you keep a few of them you can keep in a community with generally no/limited issues.

My current school dwarfs this however, it's kinda insane. I might run into some pink spot tetras... which have almost identical, if not cooler teeth profile.

Jumbie Spider

Arachnobaron
I had an opportunity to grab a Pseudocanthicus Serratus pleco, which was a rare find as they are only found in Suriname and seldom exported.
This beast is coated in armor / spikes, seems perfect for the exos. It's also a carnivore.

Last edited: