Exo-Terra Scorpion Light?

Khoa

Arachnopeon
i found a product from exo terra call scorpion light, they said that it produce "soft uv light" and just consume 2W, is it safe for my scorpions if i use it for about 30 mins per day?

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
UV is harmful to scorpions. I would not use it. I have a UV flashlight that I use on rare occasion to illuminate them for a few seconds when I want to show someone or just to see their glow. I shine it from a distance.

Khoa

Arachnopeon
so if i want to view my scorps at night without disturbing them, what light should i use?

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
so if i want to view my scorps at night without disturbing them, what light should i use?
Infrared bulbs are best but if your ambient air temperature is already on the warm side I would suggest attaching it to a rheostat or dimmer and monitoring the temps.

UV, as was mentioned already is bad for them but they aren't going to die if used occasionally or for maintenance purposes. I use a blacklight flashlight while doing maintenance in my C. sculpturatus community for my safety. In my single specimen scorpion vivs it's unnecessary.

Khoa

Arachnopeon
Infrared bulbs are best but if your ambient air temperature is already on the warm side I would suggest attaching it to a rheostat or dimmer and monitoring the temps.

UV, as was mentioned already is bad for them but they aren't going to die if used occasionally or for maintenance purposes. I use a blacklight flashlight while doing maintenance in my C. sculpturatus community for my safety. In my single specimen scorpion vivs it's unnecessary.
So i just need to attach an infrared bulbs to a rheostat and place it on top of my terrarium?

Introvertebrate

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
So i just need to attach an infrared bulbs to a rheostat and place it on top of my terrarium?
Exo Terra says, "The Scorpion Light provides a soft ultraviolet light, similar to the UV-rays reflected by the moon’s surface." The light doesn't generate enough UV to harm your scorpion. Go ahead and buy it.

Khoa

Arachnopeon
Exo Terra says, "The Scorpion Light provides a soft ultraviolet light, similar to the UV-rays reflected by the moon’s surface." The light doesn't generate enough UV to harm your scorpion. Go ahead and buy it.
Have you ever try this product? i haven't seen any pictures from anyone about this light

Last edited:

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I recommend Infrared bulbs, they do not harm or disturb your specimen.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
@Khoa The product that @Introvertebrate and yourself posted has not to my knowledge been subjected to painstaking research by scientists on the effects of long term exposure to even a low dose of UV on various species of Scorpions. Even if the whole "light of the moon" thing were true, remember that they do not spend all night every night basking in the moon's light nor are they so close to it as it would be if a light was sitting on top of their confined enclosure. Distance/proximity are a major factor here in addition to the UV.

The infrared bulb is best for heating and viewing. You can also pick up a cheap UV flashlight for brief illumination purposes.