Exo Terra / heat pads / Design-lack of.

Cerbera

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If I am not being completely dim, it seems obvious from the design of those exo-terra arboreal stylee cages that some of us like (and others don't), that the heat pad is designed to go behind the foam 'wall' that forms the back of the tank - its the same on all sizes, I believe..

Which, given the experiment I have just done, seems like a fairly crackpot idea.

I've had a pad behind the foam in an empty tank for just over 4 hours now, and there is the merest trace of warmth to be found in actually touching the foam, and nothing whatsoever detectable when hovering your hand inches form its surface. I imagine this is because there is about an inch thick of solid insulating foam between that surface and the heat pad. Of course, as you'd expect, touching the glass on the back of the foam its all very hot indeed, assumedly because it can only get out one side - the wrong side ! Well how helpful.

So I have removed mine, and taped it to a side instead, where there is a small chance the spider might notice it is there. Anyone else felt the need to do the same ?

Other features of the tank are far more impressive, and generally I am confident it will make a superb home for a growing avicularia, specifically because of the huge airflow allowed by an all-mesh top.

eight leg goth

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
this is the same with the teerrestrial tanks. i tested heat and everything b4 i got my t in there and there was no trace o heat getting through so i removed the polystyrene and the t is fine. just another idea for them to make money im guessing

rYe

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
While I'm sure the pad was screwing things up, Exo-terra makes some crappy products, I would suggest using an actual temp gage of some sorts. if you've ever kept reptiles this is one of the most important heating facts to know, Just because it doesn't feel warm to the hand doesn't mean it's not warm.

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
While I'm sure the pad was screwing things up, Exo-terra makes some crappy products, I would suggest using an actual temp gage of some sorts. if you've ever kept reptiles this is one of the most important heating facts to know, Just because it doesn't feel warm to the hand doesn't mean it's not warm.
DITTO! The hand test means absolutely nothing if anything it will stress the owner and potentially lead to the death of the invert.