Exo Terra for Jumpers?

folkmare

Arachnopeon
I don't have a spider yet, but it would be wild-caught (and my first). Most likely a zebra jumper or tan jumper, because they're all over outside my apartment (I see slings everywhere, they're SO cute). I've been looking at various types of enclosures and I'm drawn to the Exo Terra nano (8x8x8) because of the extra air vent at the bottom (which I would put mesh over because the holes look large), the front open door, and the built in light at the top. Is there any reason a jumper wouldn't thrive in this type of enclosure?

I'd like to eventually get it going bioactive with isopods and springtails, so the extra room for substrate is appealing. They also have an 8x8x12 option, but I'm worried about that being a little too large.

1627522725534.png

Buggylookslikeyou

Arachnosquire
I don't have a spider yet, but it would be wild-caught (and my first). Most likely a zebra jumper or tan jumper, because they're all over outside my apartment (I see slings everywhere, they're SO cute). I've been looking at various types of enclosures and I'm drawn to the Exo Terra nano (8x8x8) because of the extra air vent at the bottom (which I would put mesh over because the holes look large), the front open door, and the built in light at the top. Is there any reason a jumper wouldn't thrive in this type of enclosure?

I'd like to eventually get it going bioactive with isopods and springtails, so the extra room for substrate is appealing. They also have an 8x8x12 option, but I'm worried about that being a little too large.

View attachment 393421
Looks dope the light unnecessary jumpers require very little you could get a Walmart lock tire food container and drill some holes and call it a day slings are super hard to take care of we’ve lost two and have no clue why. Also they need to be in smaller enclosures when they are small in thinking that’s why my two died they came out of the deli cup and into abs enclosure to early I have 15 p audax slings now in tiny deli cups they are thriving and I’ll get or make enclosures in the future as it takes a long time till they are ready for something bigger . My adult spoods two p audax female one emerald female juvy I think not sure and one juvy emerald male or he may be younger cause dude is derpy as hell and small and they are all in 4x4x6 anything bigger is unnecessary . The enclosures I have are two zillas and two better home and garden loc tite containers turned enclosures . I use all fake after experiencing mold scares only real is the wood nots and acorns the rando pickle jar has the hopefully last clutch of my female (who broke in one morning ) paudax who now is in this last one

Attachments

Lucky123

Arachnobaron

View attachment 393421
The only reason i can think that a jumper wouldnt be fine is that the humidity for a bioactive enclosure with isopods and springtails dont exactly match the environment a tan or zebra jumper. Isopods like it really humid and i dont know if it would be a problem but its more humid then i keep my jumpers. Also a jumper could injure its fangs on an isopod if he trys to eat one. Jumpers are best kept 100% solo i cant say springtails would be a problem but the environment they require can be a little different.

Buggylookslikeyou

Arachnosquire
The only reason i can think that a jumper wouldnt be fine is that the humidity for a bioactive enclosure with isopods and springtails dont exactly match the environment a tan or zebra jumper. Isopods like it really humid and i dont know if it would be a problem but its more humid then i keep my jumpers. Also a jumper could injure its fangs on an isopod if he trys to eat one. Jumpers are best kept 100% solo i cant say springtails would be a problem but the environment they require can be a little different.
The only problem besides the humidity which is a Hundo percent is the over eating aspect which the more they eat the less long they live and can over eat fall and burst there abdomen . They are engrained to store up food in case they can’t get another meal and can go a month without eating. Which is where spoods and dogs are the same now picture a dog in a cage with a whole bunch of steaks they going to eat till they puke then keep eating puke and rinse and repeat lmao

Lucky123

Arachnobaron
The only problem besides the humidity which is a Hundo percent is the over eating aspect which the more they eat the less long they live and can over eat fall and burst there abdomen . They are engrained to store up food in case they can’t get another meal and can go a month without eating. Which is where spoods and dogs are the same now picture a dog in a cage with a whole bunch of steaks they going to eat till they puke then keep eating puke and rinse and repeat lmao
Also imagine the steaks are frozen solid and if the dog breaks his teeth he wont grow em back and wont be able to eat until he sheds his skin. :hurting:

folkmare

Arachnopeon
That's a really good point. If I decide to keep isopods, I'll just do so in a separate enclosure.

folkmare

Arachnopeon
Looks dope the light unnecessary jumpers require very little you could get a Walmart lock tire food container and drill some holes and call it a day slings are super hard to take care of we’ve lost two and have no clue why. Also they need to be in smaller enclosures when they are small in thinking that’s why my two died they came out of the deli cup and into abs enclosure to early I have 15 p audax slings now in tiny deli cups they are thriving and I’ll get or make enclosures in the future as it takes a long time till they are ready for something bigger . My adult spoods two p audax female one emerald female juvy I think not sure and one juvy emerald male or he may be younger cause dude is derpy as hell and small and they are all in 4x4x6 anything bigger is unnecessary . The enclosures I have are two zillas and two better home and garden loc tite containers turned enclosures . I use all fake after experiencing mold scares only real is the wood nots and acorns the rando pickle jar has the hopefully last clutch of my female (who broke in one morning ) paudax who now is in this last one
Yeah, I'm too afraid to start with slings which is why I'm going to try and capture an adult. I have two that live outside on my deck that I know of (Benvolio and Mercutio). Your little bridge is adorable, did you make that yourself??

Buggylookslikeyou

Arachnosquire
First off love the names!! Romeo and Juliet !it took me a minute my wife got it first (women being smarter)Make sure you don’t get a female adult. A juvy maybe. Our first female, queen b female p audax (our daughters obsessed with lol dolls lmao)luckily wasn’t gravid she molted into an adult with us as did our little derp boy also p audax (rip). Our second creeped for a month molted somewhere on our porch and broke in found her on our curtains. We tried to let her go and she wasn’t having it laid two clutches. First clutch hatched 74 , two died moving into deli cups two died in the sac fully hatched. 54 we let go as it took two hours to feed every day and kept 15 half to go to my wife’s sister half we will see how many make it and keep what we can . Now our emerald jumper seems to be molting hopefully unless she’s gravid then more spiderlings lmao

Nicole C G

Arachnoangel
Keep in mind Tan jumpers are masters at escape. They are called “Flat jumpers” because they are legs further spread out and their heads and abdomen are vertically shorter, so they can easily escape cracks and holes so keep that in mind. Although they are super cute ones if you get a container that is super secure! I have one actually. She is juvenile so she can fit through 1.8mm diameter holes!!

Nicole C G

Arachnoangel
the light unnecessary jumpers require very little
Actually jumping spiders do best in a pretty bright area. I have an LED desk lamp set on top of my female’s enclosure. While it’s not a requirement if it’s in a decently lit room, my room is a little darker than I think she would like, so that’s why I got that lamp. Light is one of the factors that signal them to explore and eat, so it’s not something to overlook.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Bioactive is crap- not necessary

Setup could work with adults.

folkmare

Arachnopeon
Actually jumping spiders do best in a pretty bright area. I have an LED desk lamp set on top of my female’s enclosure. While it’s not a requirement if it’s in a decently lit room, my room is a little darker than I think she would like, so that’s why I got that lamp. Light is one of the factors that signal them to explore and eat, so it’s not something to overlook.
Yeah, I live in apartment that has a lot of windows but it's on a diagonal street and none of them are facing an ideal light source, hence the supplementary light for winter evenings/afternoons.

folkmare

Arachnopeon
Yeah, I live in apartment that has a lot of windows but it's on a diagonal street and none of them are facing an ideal light source, hence the supplementary light for winter evenings/afternoons.
First off love the names!! Romeo and Juliet !it took me a minute my wife got it first (women being smarter)Make sure you don’t get a female adult. A juvy maybe. Our first female, queen b female p audax (our daughters obsessed with lol dolls lmao)luckily wasn’t gravid she molted into an adult with us as did our little derp boy also p audax (rip). Our second creeped for a month molted somewhere on our porch and broke in found her on our curtains. We tried to let her go and she wasn’t having it laid two clutches. First clutch hatched 74 , two died moving into deli cups two died in the sac fully hatched. 54 we let go as it took two hours to feed every day and kept 15 half to go to my wife’s sister half we will see how many make it and keep what we can . Now our emerald jumper seems to be molting hopefully unless she’s gravid then more spiderlings lmao
o_O WOW 54. My unfinished back stairwell (old building from 1890) is absolutely infested (and I say that lovingly) with cobweb spiders, cellar spiders, grass spiders, and 1 or 2 wolf spiders I've seen floating around lol. The cobweb spiders have about 25 egg sacs between them, most of which have hatched and dispersed. I keep picking up the tiny ones and moving them to my tomato plants, but there are quite literally hundreds of them. Unfortunately I think the grass spiders have probably gotten a lot of them, they have very sneaky funnels in a lot of the stair corners.