Exo Terra display question.

valcan222

Arachnopeon
Hello everyone!

I recently aquired a 12x12x18 exo terra, I am hoping to use this for my first big desplay tank! that being said i do have a few questions, my main concern is the provided background. Would it hold up to the water higher humidity the tarantula all the things that happen with T tanks, loose crickets ect... I am debating on just making my own but i figured before i go for that i would get your guys oppinions on the background provided.

also with the doors is the lock on the front secure? and have i over looked anything obvious, or are these relitivly tarantula escape proof?

I have read around for the answers but could not find any answers that were strait up relevant to ether my question exactly or the idea of a tarantula.

any ideas suggestions or oppinions are greatly appreciated :)

P.S. I currently am thinking of putting a P. miranda in it once finished, any other suggestions? my list of T's is on my profile :)

as always thank you for all your help guys and gals :)

Brian B.

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
Hi,
The styrofoam background will be fine with humidity, though there are these spaces above and behind it that crickets can hide in. I simply packed them with moss and glued it so nothing can get in there. The cage is very secure, assuming you remember to lock it and slide the wire holes on top closed.

These cages are great for almost any arboreal!

bobusboy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Nothing is going to get out; search for robc's threads on the board he has an excellent thread/video about how to make backgrounds.

For humidity a lot of keepers use saran wrap to cover the vents.

IMO your chosen enclosure is good for most medium sized Ts.

Ictinike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've got one, albeit not in use atm, but the background is fine as stated and I also made a plexiglass top and took out the screen mesh one.

Just measure it out, cut to size (including notches for the snap locks) and drilled a few holes in and set it in. If you cut it a bit bigger to fit it will kinda push in and not be loose. It worked well for helping with humidity as well didn't allow the spider to get it's claws stuck in mesh and dangle when she was constantly upside down on it :)

valcan222

Arachnopeon
Thanks everyone I noticed the slots on the back side of the foam backgrund. If I decide to stick with the original background I will just plug them so no loose crickets can get in. I still have yet to decide what background method I will be going with lol.

Thanks for all the advice everyone if anyone else has any oppinions or sugestions please feel free to add them :)

Brian