Exo Terra breeding box as enclosure

Gabe Ma

Arachnosquire
Hi everyone, I am going to be buying a Asian forest scorpion that is 4”, and a emperor scorpion that is 1 1/2”. Can I house these in exo Terra large breeding boxes or large critter keepers? Of course they will be separate
Or should I stick to plastic tubs and drill some holes?

Also, if I used plastic tubs, can I use heat pads on the side of them or is it too dangerous?

Albireo Wulfbooper

Arachnoprince
the breeding boxes are too shallow for the AFS, and the emp will outgrow in in a few moults - both these species like a few inches of substrate to burrow into. The Kritter Keeper will be fine for the baby emp, maybe a bit on the tight side for a 4" AFS, but doable. They don't roam a lot, so as long as they have some room to move around and a decent substrate depth you should be able to get away with it, at least for a while. Plastic tubs are certainly cheaper, and there's nothing wrong with them as long as you set up the ventilation properly and have a tight-fitting lid. A heat pad can go on the side of any enclosure as long as it has a temperature controller on it so it doesn't overheat and melt the plastic. You can also mount the heat pad on a wall or board an inch or so away from the side of the enclosure to be on the safe side if you don't trust the temperature control.

Albireo Wulfbooper

Arachnoprince
Thanks for the reply! What temp control unit do you suggest?
Sorry, I’m not a good source for this information because my apartment is a goddamned furnace year round except for two weeks in the spring and fall, so I just attach a cheap heat pad to the wall behind the enclosures.

Gabe Ma

Arachnosquire
Haha ok sounds good. My reptile room is around 75-80f would this work? And on top of that a heat to the wall?

Albireo Wulfbooper

Arachnoprince
Honestly they’ll both be fine at that temperature without additional heat. They’ll grow slightly faster and be a little more active if you give their daytime temp a tiny boost but to like 85° but 75-80 is a totally reasonably temperature range for them.