EXO TERRA ACRYLIC LID MOD

spooky7

Arachnopeon
HOW TO: Exo Terra Acrylic Lid

Hi I need to modify my 18” x 24” Exo Terra mesh lid with acrylic for my AF T. Stirmi.

Does anyone know what thickness and any brands of acrylic I should buy for this? I’m imagining I will need four panels of cut acrylic to attach to the lid.

Also, should I hot glue, or do I need to use something stronger like a clear silicone (aquarium sealer)?

Is it okay to reattach the same evening or do I need to let the fumes air out overnight? As my girl is 8” I’d like to disturb/rehouse her for as little as humanly possible.

Any help or how-to guides would be appreciated as I have not seen any videos or threads talking about the 18” x 24” size Exo Terra.

Also, any specific recommendations as to T ventilation with regards to the top ventilation would be helpful as I am creating a bio active enclosure with a false bottom and springtails to maintain moisture. 5746126F-BE3A-47F7-AA7E-C4FE48D8DF3E.jpeg 124BB0E7-543B-4AD5-B517-160CB2267858.jpeg EF44BF54-5DB8-43C0-BB74-B54021E000D2.jpeg 206C4626-811F-4264-A4B2-5EFF017F4A46.jpeg

Jumbie Spider

Arachnobaron
Removing the climbing wall off the back would really help deter it from reaching the top.
There are threads somewhere about modifying the top.

spooky7

Arachnopeon
Thanks that's a good point about the background.

Most of the threads I found last night and today are for the Nano's. I just want to make sure I get a good gauge thickness and secure it correctly.

This is a heavy spider, with lots of strength and powerful fangs, so it is a little different than say an arboreal enclosure top.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
If it fits, use 1/4”

Some people just glue Acrylic under the screen so they can reuse the lid with screen later for other animals if needed.

TimmmyTarantula

Arachnopeon
I replaced the screen on my exo terra nano wide with lexan. they sell it in sheets at home depot. It's a little more expensive than acrylic, much easier to work with acrylic has a tendency to crack and chip when cutting or drilling holes if not careful but there's absolutely nothing wrong with using acrylic. Then I just put 4 nice dabs of hot glue in each corner to secure it to the lid . it's a small lid doesn't weigh much so the hot glue holds it just fine. Also id suggest getting a combination square it helps so much to measure out and get nice straight edges you can also use it to grid the sheet with a marker on the protective sheeting to get placement for the holes. If youd like more specific guide on how to do it or tool suggestions id be happy to help, its not rocket science and you dont need very much to get the job done best of luck sorry to go on and on :)

Attachments