Excel spreadsheets

BillieJean

Arachnopeon
Has anyone used them to keep track of molt and/or feeding? I have been keeping track of molt dates, writing them down on a piece of tape on their containers, since I got my tarantulas in July. Today I decided keeping track of how much/often they eat would help me keep track of how long they are in pre-molt. If we got a group of people to do this it could get some useful/interesting data for a wide variety of different species :)

Wachusaynoob

Arachnosquire
Has anyone used them to keep track of molt and/or feeding? I have been keeping track of molt dates, writing them down on a piece of tape on their containers, since I got my tarantulas in July. Today I decided keeping track of how much/often they eat would help me keep track of how long they are in pre-molt. If we got a group of people to do this it could get some useful/interesting data for a wide variety of different species :)

That would only work if you Were on a feeding schedule.
I Write down all molts for each individual spyders (unless I'm dealing with largenumbers then I generalize it...I've still got one sling in 2nd instar way behind the others by 2 weeks so i'll make a special note) There's a program you can download for your computer I think it's Exotic keeper (not on my own comp at the moment) I would google it.

It would be cool if you knew the T's history like Sac drop/first instar-Wherever it is now.

BillieJean

Arachnopeon
Right, I usually feed them once a week (I only have five Ts) and I only feed them medium crickets (the biggest one is a 3-4" regalis), so I decided to note how many crickets I feed them on what day. This would definitely get difficult to track if you use different food sources (roaches, different size crickets, etc) for a lot of different Ts.

Maybe I'm just OCD, but I'd like to keep this system going as my collection grows (something I've been trying to restrain :p), I don't necessarily need to be so precise about what the tarantulas are eating, as much as whether or not they eat.

Here's what I have in my spreadsheet so far. The date of hatching is approximate (+/- 4 days) and unfortunately I wasn't able to note one of the regalis's molts because I was out of the country. Other than that I'm pretty happy with it, and I don't plan on buy any adults, so I'm pretty excited to see what this spreadsheet looks like in a year or two :D

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I was just thinking about setting up a record keeping system the other day. Nice layout. Very readable.

captmarga

Arachnobaron
I'm using an Excel sheet simply because I have to use it for everything else at work. I have the same versions on my home and work computer, since I work from home at times.

I set it up like this:

Name
Genus/Species
Common name
Gender (or 0.0.1)
Date Acquired
Who/where from
Legspan
Molt
molt
molt

Since I feed weekly, unless they appear to be on molt, I don't track the feeding on paper.

Marga

bobusboy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've been using a program called the "exotic keeper's record" Which works awesome for me.

I prefer it aesthetically over the "tarantula keepers record" but the function is nearly identical.

Last edited:

Pyropiscus

Arachnopeon
Wow, I feel behind the times... I just have a piece of paper with species, sex, and the dates of when I got the spider, all its molts, and breeding attempts taped to each cage.

AprilH

Petridish
Old Timer
I'm setting up my database in Access. I've had to start learning it for work over the past few months and prefer it for file keeping when I'm recording more data. I keep track more of initial info (seller, cost, size, etc) and loan info than molts and stuff, but I'm including that in the design.

What program is the Tarantula Keeper's Record in? I'm always a little iffy about downloading programs to my computer.

lazarus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Would anyone be interested in an similar application for mobile phones? I'm a software developer working on Blackberry and Android phones :)

Joanie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've been keeping records on all my tarantulas since 2003, but it's all on paper, in three-ring binders. My animal room is upstairs and my computer's in the basement, so a program would be inconvenient for me. The binders full of records are easily portable and awesome for cross-referencing species (like "last time I had a E. camp was 2005, how fast did he grow? how often was he molting when he was a year old? well, just look him up in the binder").

Tokendog

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Would anyone be interested in an similar application for mobile phones? I'm a software developer working on Blackberry and Android phones :)
A big yes please :) Android if possible! That would rock

knowledge

Arachnopeon
Definitely for android here .... keep us posted

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk

SuicidalSock

Arachnopeon
I use Excel. Each spider has a coloum, and I write molts and feeding underneath. What it was fed, and if it refused etc. Much simpler than all these d/l programs.

Tarac

Arachnolord
I also use Excel extensively. I use it at work constantly for protocol design, I find it very flexible which is why I prefer it over most of the freeware stuff.

I would also love a quick Droid app, especially if it could interface with Excel- I'm too committed at this point to transfer all that data to a new program when Excel works better than just fine anyway, but if it were compatible I'd jump in it.