excavator

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
excavator is a new substrate made by zoo -med (they make great quality reptile supplies i think so anyway).

Basically the directions state that you have to add the same amount of water equal to the amount that you use of it.

then youhave to let it sit and completely dry (you only let it completely dry if you want to make the hiding places out of it instead of the spider)

If you let it dry only 50% and you have a burrower when they are ready they will make great burrows sometimes more than to and you'll get a chance to see how they would make a burrow in the wild compared to how they do now with the peat moss

has anyone tried this yet or is anyone going to use the stuff? my petco ( I call it my petco because i go there a lot and they know me by first name) just got some in today so I may buy a bag next week and mix it with the peat moss.

it also said on the bag if you mist it (after its already in use by your T) it will keep its burrow shape (if a burrow is already made by you or your T)

Here is more information about it...I got it from reptilesupply.com:

Manufacturer
Zoo Med
size
10 lb bag

Features

Allows reptiles to dig tunnels and burrows just like they do in nature.
Watch your reptiles perform natural digging behaviors.
You can mold and create multi-level terracces and burrows in your reptiles terrarium.
Make your reptiles feel like they are "at home" in their natural habitat.
Excavator holds its shape so burrows and tunnels won't colapse.
All Natural! no added dyes, colors or chemicals.
Description
Excellent for Bearded Dragons, Uromastyx lizards, Leopard Geckos, Swifts and Spiny lizards, Tarantulas and Scorpions and and many other reptiles that create or use burrows.

Last edited:

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Is it relatively cheap like bed a beast?
if you buy online the bigger bag is 7.99 (at petco its 10.99 or more)

the smaller bag online is 4.99 (at petco its 8.99)

you are better off buying it online at reptilesupply.com

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
I played with some at the store that I work at. Im was excited about this stuff when I saw it, but ended up a bit dissapointed. When it drys it REALY dries. The only spiders I would evan consider for it would be Aphonopelma.

I have some small Uromastyx on it, and I think its to hard for them do dig threw. Althoughthey do seem to enjoy the tunnels I made for them.

2 of the large bags were barley enough to make a 5 gallon tank interesting.

Later, Tom

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I played with some at the store that I work at. Im was excited about this stuff when I saw it, but ended up a bit dissapointed. When it drys it REALY dries. The only spiders I would evan consider for it would be Aphonopelma.

I have some small Uromastyx on it, and I think its to hard for them do dig threw. Althoughthey do seem to enjoy the tunnels I made for them.

2 of the large bags were barley enough to make a 5 gallon tank interesting.

Later, Tom
you have to mist it..to keep it pliable

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Just go get a bag of Shultz's Peat moss and you will be glad you did

Goanna

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I doubt I will be changing my T's over to it, but this stuff should work great for desert burrowing scorpions and solifugids.

If I am able to find any solifugids at the next reptile show I attend (should be coming in this time of year) I will definitly buy some of this bedding too.