Excavator clay kits.

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
Picked up a pair of H. arizonensis today at the local reptile show, about 2" total length.
Picked up 2 2.5 gallon aquariums and 2 Zoo Med cavern kits. Question is since these are arid and burrowing species, does the clay sand mix need to be totally dry before placing them inside? These are my 1st desert species and want them to be comfortable from the get go.
Also what is a good clay to sand ratio to mix for them?
Picture of one, doesn't like its current home.
TIA

Attachments

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
Picked up a pair of H. arizonensis today at the local reptile show, about 2" total length.
Picked up 2 2.5 gallon aquariums and 2 Zoo Med cavern kits. Question is since these are arid and burrowing species, does the clay sand mix need to be totally dry before placing them inside? These are my 1st desert species and want them to be comfortable from the get go.
Also what is a good clay to sand ratio to mix for them?
Picture of one, doesn't like its current home.
TIA
70/30 is a good mix for most desert sp. in general. I would let it dry in the enclosure, it might take a while. After that, it should be good to go :D

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
There is scientific data to indicate that different substrate compositions lead to different burrows.

http://palaeo-electronica.org/content/component/content/category/113-292
Thanks @viper69 for the link, was a good bit of useful info.
@WeightedAbyss75 I went with a 60/40 clay to sand mix, not too firmly packed in the tanks. Used a long partially inflated balloon to form a slender starter burrow, they'll probably enlarge, and packed the mix around it.
Sitting under a fan to speed the drying time up. May take a day or two. I want them out of the deli cups as quick as possible.
Picture of enclosures, 3.75" of substrate at the deepest, can add more if the need arises. Will be adding some cork pieces and small water dish prior to rehousing.
Thanks to you both for the info given. I'm sure the scorpions will be content in their new homes. :)

Attachments

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
Thanks @viper69 for the link, was a good bit of useful info.
@WeightedAbyss75 I went with a 60/40 clay to sand mix, not too firmly packed in the tanks. Used a long partially inflated balloon to form a slender starter burrow, they'll probably enlarge, and packed the mix around it.
Sitting under a fan to speed the drying time up. May take a day or two. I want them out of the deli cups as quick as possible.
Picture of enclosures, 3.75" of substrate at the deepest, can add more if the need arises. Will be adding some cork pieces and small water dish prior to rehousing.
Thanks to you both for the info given. I'm sure the scorpions will be content in their new homes. :)
Looks great so far, he'll love it in there when all of the decorations are added ;)

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
Finished both enclosures and placed scorps in yesterday. The larger one started enlarging the burrow opening last night, smaller one just explored about. The sub at the very bottom still has a very slight moisture content, going by the slightly darker coloration. Will monitor their burrowing progress, but seem to be more content now than in the 8 oz deli cups they were in. :vomit:

Attachments