Ewww!!! Crickets in my G. Rosea Enclosure!

tarantellaX

Arachnopeon
I know from browsing this isn't the first time this question has been asked but I can't locate an old thread to look in for advice.

I was picking dead cricket corpses out of my g. rosea tank tonight (well not really corpses, the little yuck balls a T. leaves behind) and I thought I saw something move out of the corner of my eye...I was trying best not to disturb the webbing my T. layed on the ground. Which, btw, my T has been staying out of its hide lately, has been kinda sluggish and won't eat and it layed the most amount of web I have ever seen it lay on one whole side of its 10 gallon tank. So I am assuming it's ready for a molt soon...it will be the first time it will have molted since I got it almost a year ago. But after further inspection and moving some dirt around I found there are itty bitty crickets in its tank. A female must of escaped capture long enough to lay eggs and they hatched. But there are tiny tiny crickets everywhere. So my question is...I don't wanna like...ruin all his hard work with the floor web and make him do that over again...and stress him out by giving him a fresh clean tank when hes probably close to molting just to get rid of tiny tiny crickets...or should I because he might be stressed with them in there? I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. :?

Ictinike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Positive they are crickets and not springtails? There is a difference and especially since it seems you had many "bollus'" lying in the enclosure it may be mites or springtails which will use those remains, if not taken away properly within due time, as a source of nourishment and start to multiply.

And when you say a lot how do you mean? A lot is a generalized word that means different things to different people. Are you talking a massive amount that seeming "crawls" over the surface or just more than a few that you would would notice but not be all "gasp" about?

With that in mind you also have to realize that T's in the wild encounter such things however they also have the ability to move and relocate their housing if the neighborhood goes down the tubes; so to say. In captivity they do not so you need to be the keeper and make that determination.

Also Crickets have been known to lay eggs especially if the conditions are right which is warmth and moisture. If this T enclosure supports those conditions it may rightfully be crickets but we/you would need positive picture proof that's what they are or are not.

I would say if it's a massive amount to where it's uncomfortable, regardless of crickets or springtails/mites, the best bet is to rehouse. Deli cup the T and give the enclosure a proper cleaning as well disposing of the old substrate.

Finally take notice of your T keeping ability. Springtails/Mites or any other potentially dangerous infestation can and has been thwarted or contained by better control over the enclosure, it's usage and it's cleaning. Remove all prey remains or uneaten prey after 24 hours if possible and keep the enclosure on the "dryer" side of how you've prior had it and you'll find these problems will happen less as well of lesser degree.

Good luck!

tarantellaX

Arachnopeon
I made the room pitch black and used a mag light to see closer. and I noticed a leg sticking out from the under substrate, which I later removed and discovered my T had missed or didn't eat a cricket, which died and was buried. And its also the spot where he dumps his remains, and thats also where just about all the babies can be found. And I got up close and they are definatly crickets. After doing some online research for comparison. They don't resemble mites at all and are much larger, but not by much. They are clear colored, have the two big antennae, the six legs, the long body with the two...whatever those are that stick off the ass end and there is nothing crawling on my T. And I counted around a little over a dozen roaming the edge of the glass. I like to think I take pretty good care of my T's. I have 2 others, a A. Seemani and an A. Avic and I have never had a problem with either. In fact the the A. Seemani just successfully molted perfectly and is doing great. I will take the G. Rosea out of his tank tomorrow and clean it and put in new substrate. I don't want him living with baby crickets.

GPulchra

Arachnoknight
I made the room pitch black and used a mag light to see closer. and I noticed a leg sticking out from the under substrate, which I later removed and discovered my T had missed or didn't eat a cricket, which died and was buried. And its also the spot where he dumps his remains, and thats also where just about all the babies can be found. And I got up close and they are definatly crickets. After doing some online research for comparison. They don't resemble mites at all and are much larger, but not by much. They are clear colored, have the two big antennae, the six legs, the long body with the two...whatever those are that stick off the ass end and there is nothing crawling on my T. And I counted around a little over a dozen roaming the edge of the glass. I like to think I take pretty good care of my T's. I have 2 others, a A. Seemani and an A. Avic and I have never had a problem with either. In fact the the A. Seemani just successfully molted perfectly and is doing great. I will take the G. Rosea out of his tank tomorrow and clean it and put in new substrate. I don't want him living with baby crickets.
How could they be much larger, but not by much?

tarantellaX

Arachnopeon
oh and in refrence to my images, i dont keep my g. rosea on wood chips anymore, haven't since the first week i brought him home. He lives on coco fiber.

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They will drown quite quickly in your water bowl.Dont worry.
The end ;)