Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

Evolutionary reason for subucular tubercle

Discussion in 'Scorpions' started by ~Abyss~, Feb 27, 2013.

1. ~Abyss~

~Abyss~ Arachnoking Old Timer

Advertisement
    I don't think there is one right answer but I am fascinated with evolutionary biology and was wondering what you guys theorize (layman's theory, not scientific theory) why natural selection favored the subucular tubercle in some species of scorpion. Does it serve a purpose? I posted this in both AB and SF to get everyones opinion.

2. Michiel

Michiel Arachnoking Old Timer

Just saying: a subaculear tooth and a subaculear tubercle are two different things....tubercle being a small protuberance, like a little pimple (Rhopalurus sp.) almost and the tooth is the for most familiar "second sting" in different shapes and sizes....
    They are important taxonomic features....I.e. in Tityus species. The subgenus Archaeotityus has tge subaculear tooth rhomboidal, while members of the other subgenera like Tityus and Atreus do not....interesting to note that Archaeotityus are a very old lineage ( hence the name off course) from the Pleistocene.......Now for the main question what does it do?
    -drum rolls- : I don't have a clue!
    The only theory I can come up with, is that it aids in prey stinging, more grip or better positioning.....but then again, there are a lot of species that survived and still survive without a subaculear tubercle or tooth :) To me, the answer to this question remains a mystery....

Verstuurd van mijn GT-I9001 met Tapatalk

3. ~Abyss~

I know theres no one right answer (or not one that we can know definately). I posted on SF the same answer. I figured it would help in better positioning for a more lethal sting. Also the whole tooth/tubercle....you guys know what I'm talking about. I got scolded by Kari for usign tooth instead of tubercle LOL.

4. MB623

MB623 Arachnoknight

I kinda thought the same thing, although I never see my T. stigmurus insert their stinger deep enough for the subaculear tubercle or tooth to come in contact with prey. Once stung the prey is maneuvered with the chela/pedipalps. I have however seen my stigmurus smearing a fluid upon their whole body secreted from either their mouth or around the tip of the tip of their tail. They seem to use the subaculear tubercle or tooth for applying the fluid to their legs. They'll have a drop of fluid hanging from their stinger then hook a leg inbetween the stinger and the ST then wipe the fuid down each leg. I think it could also be used for mating or fighting other scorps, maybe to hook and hold the other scorps stinger. The latter two are just guesses, but I've witnessed the fuid ordeal several times.

5. ~Abyss~

That’s interesting.
    What if it’s not necesarrily for prey, which is easily taken down. But istead to pump a more lethal dose to larger predators like mice?

6. Michiel

I also thought of the hook theory, so use in mating, fighting...but, this type of use would mean that the trichobothria would be incredible sensitive in such a way that scorpions would be able to deploy their subaculear tooth to grab such a tiny thing as a aculeus. Their eyesight is very poor, so if this is posdible, its all senses (trichobothria)....
    Btw, the subaculear tooth holds no glands or anything, so nothing is secreted from it...but the aculeus is used for cleaning, and "the fluid" is coming from the "mouth"....

7. MB623

MB623 Arachnoknight

I figured the fluid was coming from their mouth rather than the stinger, but I wasn't positive. Grooming is the only thing I've seen them use their ST for, but it's kinda cool to think it could be an extra weapon/defense mechanism.

8. ShredderEmp

ShredderEmp Arachnoprince

I think I read a report of someone witnessing a baby Rhopalurus sp.(Not sure which) use the ST to hook itself on a leaf and escape.

9. Galapoheros

Galapoheros ArachnoGod Old Timer

I've wondered if it serves as a depth gage somehow. There is an old thread about this somewhere.

10. Michiel

@ shredderemp....Rhopalurus species do not have a subaculear tooth,like I clearly stated in my previous post;)

The thread you are referring to is about a Lychas species. Mark Newton hypothesized in that thread that the ST is used for climbing, after one observation btw....

11. ~Abyss~

Well not solid evidence, but an interesting theory.

12. ShredderEmp

Maybe it was a Lychas sp. It was definatly a bark scorpion though. It was awhile ago so I'll have to see if I can find it.

13. Michiel

Mmmmm, I just told you twice that Rhopalurus sp do not have a subaculear tooth.....I also told you you the correct genus and named the person who shared this theory and still you say: "maybe"....
    Really annoying.....

14. ~Abyss~

Don’t let it get to you, sounds like’s he’s trying to look for the thread to verify what you said. No reason to be annoyed when someone is willing to do research. Now that you mention it though I do recall Mark posting something like this up some years ago.

15. Michiel

Yeah, I think you are right, but still, " thank you, God of scorpionknowledge" would be a better answer, LOL:D

• Like Like x 1
  16. ~Abyss~

Well obviously we can ALL agree with that!

17. ShredderEmp

That's exactly what I ment. And thank you, God of scorpionknowledge.;)

• Like Like x 1
  18. Michiel

Lol, you guys crack me up:D

19. Aztek

Aztek Arachnoprince

Maybe just chance. No real reason.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.