Ever wonder what a molt feels like?

jeryst

Arachnopeon
Ever wonder what a molt feels like from a T's point of view? Does it itch? Does it hurt? Does it feel good? Or does it just feel like your clothes are too tight?

I'm sure T's can feel pain, so does the old skin stop feeling pain, or does it hurt like heck when the skin splits?

Most cells have nerve that send signals to the brain, yet a T somehow severs these nerve endings and replaces them with a new set in the new skin, so how does that work? Their eyes, their fangs, all get replaced. Severed or missing limbs regenerate. Wonder how that all feels?

I know we will never know the answer to these questions, but it is something to ponder.

Stewjoe

Arachnosquire
It would be like having a bad itch under a cast that you cant reach, but all over.

Midknight xrs

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
First, get a sunburn all over your body, then leave it be so that your new skin can have time to feel the world. Then pull it all off in one or two piece's.

Or i would imagine it something like that.

GPulchra

Arachnoknight
Although they are very instinctive, I imagine that pain would be ineffective in a situation like this. The tarantulas do not know that it is painful, so I expect the most they could feel would be the scariness of being in some suit of skin that they struggle to get out of. At this point, it's just like the tarantula is inside a skin-mold replica that is 1-2 sizes smaller and it has to get out of it when it never got in.

[gross]
During my Catalina trip that was at the start of this week, I had to run past the rocks at the beach because I was late to one of the classes. Everyone was staring at my feet and I was like, "What?" I looked down and saw my feet all scratched up and bleeding, but I hadn't felt it before because my mind wasn't focused on that.

Maybe that's how tarantulas bear it.

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
T's do not feel pain...not in the same fashion that higher order animals do. If you want more details ask one of science gurus but that's the bottom line. :) It is a very good question though and I've never actually thought about it...hmmm, should make for some interesting dreams lol

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
It feels like being reborn. A T. in premolt slowly loses all its senses and becomes "disconnected" from the world. Imagine being inside a perfectly fitting hardplastic suit and filling it with a liquid. Then shedding it slowly. I dont think they feel pain. Not in the same way. Pain is percieved by the mind. Tarantulas dont think they just "do".

Last edited:

Wachusaynoob

Arachnosquire
More like the cold side of your pillow. You feel so comfy and cool then it warms up and you get PISSED!

pok2010

Arachnopeon
in some respect, id gess it would feel like a skinny 3ft tall person who weighs in at 8 stone, giving birth to a 6ft chubby guy who weighs 15 stone ...

cant be good :embarrassed: