Ever mix up your T's?

omni

Arachnobaron
In looking at pix of very young slings, and guessing that many people have identical habitats for the spiders, has anyone ever mixed up what sp. their spiders were? Many look so alike and could take time to get any color or hair.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Well I thought I might start doing that when I started buying lots of slings, but I just got a 20 dollar labeler and now everything has an ID even if I forget.

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Nope, I do exactly what Ryan said, I label each sling with its given name and usually common names just for my husband.

WyvernsLair

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
get a brother p-touch labeler.. then there will be labels all over the house LOL. I prefer the labeler to a marker as you can remove the label cleanly and easily and then put a new one on if you want to reuse the container at a later date with a different spider (such as after upgrading a baby to a larger jar). Marker's really look messy when you cross things off to write new stuff (sometimes it's impossible to get all of the marker off with a remover and stains permenantly).

I always at a minimum make labels that has the scientific name of the spider and the month/year of when I acquired it and have them on all enclosures. Baby vials, it's hard to put any other info beyond that. On larger jars and cages, I also add in the common name, gender (when it becomes known), and when possible molt dates too.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I've always used labels, none of my Ts have names or anything. Mine go by order of species and sex.

So heres an example of my Brachypelma smithi:

On her cage the label says.. Brachypelma smithi 0.1
Brachypelma smithi = Genus and species name
0.1 = female and #1 of it's species

Before my male died, he was Brachypelma smithi 2.0
Brachypelma smithi = Genus and species name
2.0 = male and #2 of it's species.

My spider collection is very organized, so I never mix up who is who.