Ever Get An Urge To Pet Them?

The Spider Faery

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Well I did... I don't own any four legged furry pets, and oddly last night one my Tapinauchenius gigas seemed calm and I had a feeling it would be more tolerant at that moment, so I just reached out and petted the orange buzzball's back leg. It felt like petting a hamster. It was really soft and furry, not itchy or hairy feeling. And yes, I've handled T's before, but I can't say I've really petted any except my E. campestratus (I don't make a habit of it). Yes, the T gigas did turn around but not right away. My instincts were right that it was a good moment to test it out. Just in case anyone was wondering what they feel like, lol. I can say a shriveled up dry molt is nothing like how they really feel.

EndlessForms

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
"ever get an urge to pet them?" yes! all the time! :D too bad you can't :embarrassed: [...or shouldn't :p ] but thier so cute and fuzzy...

jgod790

Arachnoknight
HAHA I was just petting my G rosea not more then an hour ago. I dont understand why you "arent supposed to pet them" if its a docile enough species anyway. I know my G rosea is TOTALLY harmless and would never bite unless I hurt her. But yea its just like petting a small bunny or small kitten or something. I will never understand people who are afraid of tarantulas. It makes no sense to me at all.

jbm150

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
HAHA I was just petting my G rosea not more then an hour ago. I dont understand why you "arent supposed to pet them" if its a docile enough species anyway. I know my G rosea is TOTALLY harmless and would never bite unless I hurt her. But yea its just like petting a small bunny or small kitten or something. I will never understand people who are afraid of tarantulas. It makes no sense to me at all.
Don't be so sure about that. Here's one that was introduced to the unpredictable reality of tarantulas http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=204651
(read a few posts and close, the majority is not worth reading :rolleyes:)

As for petting Ts, they're incredibly soft! I get my jollies by petting their molts, most of my Ts are either too small or too ornery lol

jgod790

Arachnoknight
yea I guess even with G rosea you have to be careful. I always test her temperament before I touch her, I gently touch her abdomen with a paint brush each and every time before physically touching her. But in the 10 years Ive had her, only 3 times has she ever shown any sign of an angry or agitated temperament.

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That's my favored instrument of choice as well, the tiny soft-bristled water color brush! Many times when I test their "mood" by touching them with the brush, they will either avoid it, ignore it, turn and take hold of it with their feet, or they'll react badly and gnash their fangs upon it! :D