Euthanizing and/or disposing of unwanted tarantulas

Grunyon

Arachnopeon
This might be a very controversial thing to ask or discuss so please lock if this is going to get out of hand... but what do breeders and collectors do with all of their "leftover" spiders? I highly doubt anyone has time to individually house and feed hundreds or thousands of little guys when an egg sac hatches. I've also seen people recommend getting 5 slings to have a really good chance at getting at least one of a desired gender. Do these people just get stuck with 4 unwanted spiders? Surely there's only so many other collectors to sell or trade with? I understand collections of a dozen or two dozen different spiders but I don't think anybody wants an extra four of the same species of the wrong gender or whatever..

z32upgrader

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think a lot of the ones breeders or online dealers can't sell, they give away as freebees with the normal orders. Private hobbyists that buy three or four of a species hoping for a female probably sell or trade off their males once they learn the gender, or coordinate with others that have an adult female for breeding loans. That's what I do. Males aren't worthless, they're essential to the hobby. You can get some cool slings in trade for a mature male.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
This might be a very controversial thing to ask or discuss so please lock if this is going to get out of hand... but what do breeders and collectors do with all of their "leftover" spiders? I highly doubt anyone has time to individually house and feed hundreds or thousands of little guys when an egg sac hatches. I've also seen people recommend getting 5 slings to have a really good chance at getting at least one of a desired gender. Do these people just get stuck with 4 unwanted spiders? Surely there's only so many other collectors to sell or trade with? I understand collections of a dozen or two dozen different spiders but I don't think anybody wants an extra four of the same species of the wrong gender or whatever..
Well, you've got to remember that males live a short life compared to females, so that problem works itself out naturally before too long if you have 4 males and one female.

As for breeders with hundreds or thousands of unwanted spiders, I'm sure that they can talk to other dealers to either sell or trade batches of them for either slings of another species or some adults.

I got my first T on craigslist from someone who had tons of slings and was moving them out at $10 a pop, so that's an option too.

cold blood

Staff member
You wholesale overstock to dealers.....the rest is sold, and i think you underestimate the number of buyers out there....many sell on sites like these or facebook rooms dedicated to arachnids or inverts.

What doesnt get sold quick, grows and becomes more valuable stock for future sales.

When you buy in bulk you trade or sell the extras, doing so allows expansion at no, or virtually no cost...even MMs are worth $40-60 or more....no sense holding onto them when someone will pay or trade yoy for it....just put up an ad.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
I am buying multiple of each species in almost all cases. I have 100+ T's, but would guess that I may only have 30-35 species. On all of them I definitely want to have a female. But the idea of buying multiple T's is more complex than just increasing my odds of getting a female. I have noticed that quite a few species here in the US are available in two situations.

1) USA origin Aphonopelma is available in adult (WC probably) or tiny 0.25 inch slings (almost nothing in between). I now own quite a few Aphonopelma slings. I love them. I definitely want more eutylenum. I wish could find some slings in bicoloratum, Sp. "Flag Staff", and Sp. "Payson". I am trying to create my own small preserve of many of this genus. If I ever had too many of this genus, it would probably be easy to find a home since LB juveniles and adults are not common.

2) Then there are several other species that are only available as very expensive adults and/ some of them are also over-priced undersized slings. I didn't pay extra for the selections in slings that I have bought so I can brag that I own them. I bought them so that I can eventually share. I want work with others in my geographic area to breed them or breed them myself (if current employment permits). I will never be in this for the money and the tarantula is not an object to store as a possession. I treat this hobby like a fraternity where like minds work to better the hobby and enjoy it. It shouldn't be a hobby only for the rich. Currently this item is still in dream state. I still don't know enough knowledge and still know very few people who enjoy this hobby in my geographic region.

I also own multiple T's just because I love that species. All of my T's will be treated like royalty in my presence until they die. I would only relieve a T of its life if I feel it is the best solution to remedy the spider of a terrible health situation. I think item #1 and #2 above protect me from having an over population issue in the near future.

Last edited:

Kayis

Arachnopeon
I've also seen people recommend getting 5 slings to have a really good chance at getting at least one of a desired gender. Do these people just get stuck with 4 unwanted spiders?
Like others have said, those males can be dealt for something...you just have to find that said person. Male T's can get quite expensive due to the length of time required for them to mature. Not all males get to do their business before they pass on whether its death by old age or by bride to be. Some slings simply don't make it and that's another reason why people suggest buying a few. "One man's trash is another man's treasure" is what i'd say for those "unwanted" spiders.

Last edited:

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
What species are you trying to get rid of? Just start giving them away if you don't want them. No need to euthanize. I guarantee you'll find takers if you start giving them away:D

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
... I don't think anybody wants an extra four of the same species of the wrong gender or whatever..
You are mistaken in that thought.

Many people buy multiples w/out the intent or thought of "what do I do w/these "unwanted" tarantulas". I have multiples of a few species. For example, I have 5 N. incei, would be great if I have female, I don't care if they turn out all males.

Males are needed by breeders, it takes 2 to breed haha. Plus, you can get quite a few Ts in trade for a single male.

I sold 2 males, one was a common G. rosea, the amount I sold him alone for was enough to buy a few different slings OR even a much more rare female OW. The other male is rare because there aren't that many in the USA, he was sold for even more!

If you are only looking to get females, do yourself a favor, save up the money and buy a female. That's the easiest and best way to do it.

1. Are you trying to get rid of Ts?

2. If you are, there are MANY people looking to take in free Ts from people who don't want them. Plenty of people get cheap and FREE Ts off of Craigslist for example. Just up yours for FREE, trust me people will take them.

What people frown upon the most is when someone breeds a species, and is too lazy to take care of the entire sac, and kills off a lot the slings. People shouldn't breed if they don't have the time and only want a few extra as some posters have indicated in the past.

Last edited:

Goldcup

Arachnopeon
PLEASE do not give slings away! I am unable to say no and I really do not need more!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
PLEASE do not give slings away! I am unable to say no and I really do not need more!
Yeah the hobby doesn't need more of your type, just more sling killers ;)

Sling Killers-- Sounds like a sci fi movie

Last edited:

gypsy cola

Arachnoknight
I got 3 A. metallicas because my GF wants one everytime she sees one at a LPS. I can never have enough B.vagans.

I heard of some people letting LP slings cannabis each other to reduce the numbers but, that is rumors nothing else.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
I got 3 A. metallicas because my GF wants one everytime she sees one at a LPS. I can never have enough B.vagans.

I heard of some people letting LP slings cannabis each other to reduce the numbers but, that is rumors nothing else.
I suppose they can only do that in Colorado, California, Oregon, and a few other states where it is legal..

Last edited:

Bugmom

Arachnolord
You forgot Maine, Alaska and D.C.:meh:
You BOTH forgot Washington.

Anyway. I get multiples in case I lose a sling, I have backups, and because I'm hoping for a female, but will do a loan or sell if male. Either way, I come out ahead.

Jeff23

Arachnolord

I knew someone would jump on that
I couldn't resist. :D But it isn't like I am any better. I have messed up my share of words while typing away.