Euthanization

Emilylrd

Arachnopeon
I'm extremely upset to have to ask this, but what would be a humane way to dispatch my young tarantula?(she's about 2.3" DLS) My A. Avic had a bad molt the other day, she lost a leg in the process and about 5 others are extremely deformed. Several of the legs hardened in a way that they bend under her body, she hasn't been able to walk(more like crawl) much more than a few cm in the last 24 hrs, I'm only considering it because she seems more like she's just suffering. I would like to know first off how long yall think I should wait to make the decision of euthanising, and if necessary how should I do so?

boina

Lady of the mites
I would wait a few more days. When exactly did it molt? Tarantulas will need a few days to really completely harden after a molt, even at that size. She may still gain some movement back.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I'm only considering it because she seems more like she's just suffering. I would like to know first off how long yall think I should wait to make the decision of euthanising, and if necessary how should I do so?
I don't think tarantulas are capable of suffering in the same sense that a person or even a dog or cat can suffer. They are creatures of instinct. They can feel pain, and they can be distressed, but they don't have the neurological hardware to feel emotions.

That being said, if this is the Avic you posted about earlier, I would give her some more time. If she is going to die as a direct result of trauma, I would expect that to happen within the week.

If you are able to keep her going long enough to molt again, she may make a full recovery. Until then, you may have to "hand-feed" her with pre-killed or maimed prey (you can attempt to feed her once her fangs turn black), and you will have to monitor her to make sure she is getting fluid.

Last edited:

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I'm extremely upset to have to ask this, but what would be a humane way to dispatch my young tarantula?(she's about 2.3" DLS) My A. Avic had a bad molt the other day, she lost a leg in the process and about 5 others are extremely deformed. Several of the legs hardened in a way that they bend under her body, she hasn't been able to walk(more like crawl) much more than a few cm in the last 24 hrs, I'm only considering it because she seems more like she's just suffering. I would like to know first off how long yall think I should wait to make the decision of euthanising, and if necessary how should I do so?

If the legs are too bad then she'll self amputate, if her fangs and pedipalps are still good then you could continue to keep her alive and fed until her next moult regenerates them, it'll be difficult and requires some patience but it is possible for a T with just 2 working legs to recover fully, I believe another member on the boards has kept one alive in similar circumstances.

I'd personally try to keep her alive until her next moult to see if she makes any sort of recovery, it'll be worth it if she does, if you absolutely have to euthanise then putting her in the freezer is probably the most humane way to do it.

Kendricks

Arachnoknight
I agree with @Ungoliant, don't euthanize her just now, if feeding is still possible, I'd at least try that for a while to reach the next molt which might fix things.

If all hope is lost, freezing is what I heard as well. Hope it won't come to that, though.

Keep us updated.

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
I only had on tarantula ever die that I owned. I bought a juvie t stirmi from a reptile show last halloween. About three weeks later I saw nematodes coming out of his mouth. I looked up how to do it too, and freezer was how I did it. Hopefully u don't have to do that it was awful.

Goodlukwitthat

Arachnoknight
I only had on tarantula ever die that I owned. I bought a juvie t stirmi from a reptile show last halloween. About three weeks later I saw nematodes coming out of his mouth. I looked up how to do it too, and freezer was how I did it. Hopefully u don't have to do that it was awful.
I thought you could use a Q-tip to get rid of the nematodes?

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Perhaps? I thought nematodes were the white things around your tarantula's mouth parts and taking a Q-tip and swabbing around the mouth area can help get rid of them?
Na, (as far as I know) when they start spilling out of the mouth parts it's pretty much game over, I had to freeze an A. avic that had DKS-type symptoms and white gunk/tiny worms around its mouth parts.

Goodlukwitthat

Arachnoknight
Na, (as far as I know) when they start spilling out of the mouth parts it's pretty much game over, I had to freeze an A. avic that had DKS-type symptoms and white gunk/tiny worms around its mouth parts.
That's sad. Thanks for clearing my confusion up.

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
^^^^^ yeah there's not much hope for nematodes. PeopIe talk of using saline solution and super hot temperatures, but I didn't find much in terms of actual success stories. Plus, you can possibly infect more of your tarantulas if you don't act quickly.

Emilylrd

Arachnopeon
I don't think tarantulas are capable of suffering in the same sense that a person or even a dog or cat can suffer. They are creatures of instinct. They can feel pain, and they can be distressed, but they don't have the neurological hardware to feel emotions.

That being said, if this is the Avic you posted about earlier, I would give her some more time. If she is going to die as a direct result of trauma, I would expect that to happen within the week.

If you are able to keep her going long enough to molt again, she may make a full recovery. Until then, you may have to "hand-feed" her with pre-killed or maimed prey (you can attempt to feed her once her fangs turn black), and you will have to monitor her to make sure she is getting fluid.
I know they can't suffer in the sense of feeling emotions, I meant more so that she just seems to be slowly dying. I'll definitely try my best to keep her going, do you think her next molt would come faster because of the legs? Her last one took 4 months when it was a normal molt

Rob1985

This user has no status.
When I have had to euthanize a T in the past I put it in the freezer. It's probably the most humane way of going about doing this.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
@cold blood has nursed an Avicularia species back to health, it had no or one good leg after a molt, if I remember correctly.
Molts can come sooner after injury. I had an Avic lose 3 or 4 legs in a molt, and it molted ahead of schedule.

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've had a B annitha sling or whatever it's now called lose 4 legs in a bad moult, as long as it's as legs on both sides it could survive I fed mine pre killed even though it was capable of killing before the moult, It takes patience and a little extra care but it's possible for it to survive

Emilylrd

Arachnopeon
She ended up passing away on her own while I was at work today, thanks for all of yalls help.