Euryurus leachii

Chris52

Arachnoknight
Hello! It's been a while since I've posted, but here I am. I've recently discovered that a good amount of Euryurus leachii live in the woods close by, and I understand that this species does well in captivity (at least compared to other "flat" millipedes). Does anyone have experience keeping or breeding these? Depending on their requirements, I would like to try to keep these. Thanks!

Attachments

SDCPs

Arachnolord
From what I've heard they need decent ventilation. That and give them some wood like what you're finding them on and they should be fine. Shouldn't be hard :)

Chris52

Arachnoknight
From what I've heard they need decent ventilation. That and give them some wood like what you're finding them on and they should be fine. Shouldn't be hard :)
That sounds pretty doable. I think I'll give it a try. Any thoughts on how much wood to provide? I know some species have done well on close to 100% wood with some peat or coconut fiber to hold moisture.

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
Hello! It's been a while since I've posted, but here I am. I've recently discovered that a good amount of Euryurus leachii live in the woods close by, and I understand that this species does well in captivity (at least compared to other "flat" millipedes). Does anyone have experience keeping or breeding these? Depending on their requirements, I would like to try to keep these. Thanks!
Euryurids are not only the easiest Polydesmida to keep, but one of the easiest millipedes, so long as you provide them with lots of damp decaying wood. 100% fermented oak sawdust and/or crumbled decayed hardwood is fine, as is mixing in some coconut fiber (I've not used peat with any of my Euryurids but it might be okay too). The substrate should be kept moist and, in my experience with three species in this family, low ventilation works well. (Higher ventilation might be fine but you would need to be extra attentive to keeping the substrate damp.) I kept mine in deli containers until the colonies expanded and now have them in Sterilite boxes.

Good luck! They are very active and attractive millipedes! :) It might take a while for you to see offspring as they are very tiny and, in my experience, the E. leachii young stay burrowed more than those of my other Euryurids, but given time and proper care, the colony grows exponentially!

Chris52

Arachnoknight
Euryurids are not only the easiest Polydesmida to keep, but one of the easiest millipedes, so long as you provide them with lots of damp decaying wood. 100% fermented oak sawdust and/or crumbled decayed hardwood is fine, as is mixing in some coconut fiber (I've not used peat with any of my Euryurids but it might be okay too). The substrate should be kept moist and, in my experience with three species in this family, low ventilation works well. (Higher ventilation might be fine but you would need to be extra attentive to keeping the substrate damp.) I kept mine in deli containers until the colonies expanded and now have them in Sterilite boxes.

Good luck! They are very active and attractive millipedes! :) It might take a while for you to see offspring as they are very tiny and, in my experience, the E. leachii young stay burrowed more than those of my other Euryurids, but given time and proper care, the colony grows exponentially!
Sounds good. Thanks!